Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
With sadness I had to bid goodbye to Ubuntu 12.10. No, it was not Unity, because I quite liked it.
Just that applications began crashing once too often. When this became a constant irritation, the nearest I could think of was Mint. So for now sorry Ubuntu.
I also managed to install Arch Linux on a dual boot with Linux Mint. I tested the installation procedure as described in the Arch Wiki in Virtual Box first. After a few misfires I managed to get it right. Then I backed up all data...
There had been a weird problem with sound on Arch. Whenever there was a flash item being displayed (or perhaps flash using sound, I suppose), there would be no sound elsewhere. And if there were sound elsewhere, whenever you play something on flash, it would conversely be mute.
The fix is quite simple:
Originally Posted by Wilco
After having some troubles with alsa I managed to fix this once and for all. The problem was I could not run flash+firefox and some other application that uses sound,
By "work" I mean having "hovering" and "keepshape" mode, not just a worthless slow "pen-mouse". My thinking is that it wasn't working due to concurrent configuration files. There isn't only xorg.conf, but on /etc/X11 there is a xorg.conf.d folder, and there there was a ##-wacom.conf or something, with different settings than the ones I had set manually on xorg.conf.
HAL is deprecated, or something like that, and I don't have any .fdi file for...
Apparently I got it working. It did do a preview scan, with color, on xsane, as a normal user, so it's almost 100% sure it is OK. The only thing I think I may have had to do different from Debian was to set a udev rule and change user permissions/ownership on /var/lock/sane. Some people said that just udev or permissions alone would do it, but I had the impression I needed both, but that's possibly wrong. I don't see anything wrong in having both, so I'll just leave it as it is, as it is working....