LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 165 28.75%
Deist 18 3.14%
Theist 23 4.01%
Agnostic 120 20.91%
Atheist 248 43.21%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #4426
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53

Is 9:7
Isn't it also true that although war was verily celebrated in ancient times, it has been diminished from Christ's birth until now, when it's thought shameful, and we hardly have theatres of war except movie theatres and schools?
 
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #4427
JLndr
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Distribution: Debian 7.1
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 3
I voted Firm Believer... more specifically, Christian.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #4428
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,192

Rep: Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Is 9:7
Isn't it also true that although war was verily celebrated in ancient times, it has been diminished from Christ's birth until now, when it's thought shameful, and we hardly have theatres of war except movie theatres and schools?
Again, your willful ignorance of history shows.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #4429
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
...and we're back to circular reasoning and ignoring historical fact.

To put it differently:
Code:
(bible != god)
also
Code:
(BibleAuthor != god) && (BibleAuthor >1)
Because it's in the bible doesn't mean god said it. If God DID say it, it's certainly true...but since you don't know what God said, and we know the authorship of the book in question is suspect, full of translation errors, and was voted upon/edited for content, things in it are highly doubtful.
There is very little convincing criticism against the authenticity of the Bible even in the links you've cited in the past.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #4430
Mara
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: Grenoble
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 9,535

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Moderator note: Please keep the discussion free of personal attacks.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #4431
AnanthaP
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Chennai, India
Distribution: UBUNTU 5.10 since Jul-18,2006 on Intel 820 DC
Posts: 606

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Quote:
The Scriptures have always been addressed to the ears of all, to the understanding of a remnant, who will survive great destruction.
There you go again. Talking down to and riding the crap out of others. Also threatening that those who don't understand will not remain .ie. be obliterated (and the others get eternal life?).

OK
 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #4432
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Again, your willful ignorance of history shows.
Back it up T. Who do you know who celebrates war? Other than some extremists Muslim and perhaps guerilla parties here or there nobody celebrates war. In ancient times war was quite often idolized and celebrated daily, even by majorities.

Last edited by bluegospel; 07-19-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #4433
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,407
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994
Merged with the Mega-Thread.

@bluegospel: You would do yourself a favor if you would study the history of your religion.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #4434
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Merged with the Mega-Thread.

@bluegospel: You would do yourself a favor if you would study the history of your religion.
Which one, for there are many--but one perfect history.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #4435
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,192

Rep: Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Back it up T. Who do you know who celebrates war?
Not to make this sound like a personal attack (it isn't), but people like YOU typically do. Those "fine, good, 'christians'", who typically love it when others get killed, and celebrate those who kill doctors at womens clinics, and other similar acts. Those who said that the tragedy in Haiti was the work of god, because they 'deserved it'. That's who.
Quote:
Other than some extremists Muslim and perhaps guerilla parties here or there nobody celebrates war.
Sorry, but that's wrong and incredibly naive. There are just as many 'extremists' in your 'christian' definition than there are in the muslim religion, and in pretty much ANY OTHER religion.

And you (again) display your willful ignorance of history (and in this case, current events), by saying guerilla groups ENJOY war. They don't, and often times feel forced into action against the ruling party. In many cases, the soldiers themselves are forced to fight, or they'll be killed themselves. They certainly don't 'celebrate' it.
Quote:
In ancient times war was quite often idolized and celebrated daily, even by majorities.
Nope, it never has been in ANY culture. War may have been NECESSARY, and preparing for it also necessary, but no one WANTED to go to war, ever.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #4436
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,192

Rep: Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Which one, for there are many--but one perfect history.
This makes no logical sense in response to the statement "You would do yourself a favor if you would study the history of your religion."

To break it down, since you obviously didn't understand it:
  • "Which one, for there are many?"
    That would be "the history of christianity" (i.e. YOUR religion, in the context of the statement)
  • "but one perfect history"
    ...which apparently no one else knows but you, since ANY serious study of history doesn't jib with what you say.
To make it simpler: if numerous people say "Hey, Frank Wilson wrote this book", chances are he did, if no one else can prove/claim otherwise. Fast forward 1000 years, and the historical fact is Frank Wilson wrote that book. No matter how much you argue, believe, split hairs, etc., it's still true...that's called HISTORY and SCIENCE. Neither requires belief..it's just true.

If many serious scholars and historians point at a book of the bible and say "Hey, this has multiple authors spanning this large period of time here"...it does. No matter how much you WANT it to be otherwise...it isn't. See how that works?
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #4437
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Of course the Bible was written by scores of authors. Each book has its author. And yes, there was probably commentary added much later and accepted as canon. That doesn't negate that each book was co-authored by man and God, or that the committees who finalized what was canon were supervised by God. There's very little evidence in the Scriptures themselves and even in the historical record that strongly suggests the Bible is not authentic.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #4438
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,192

Rep: Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Of course the Bible was written by scores of authors. Each book has its author.
..and typically MORE than one author, sometimes written decades/centuries after the events described.
Quote:
And yes, there was probably commentary added much later and accepted as canon.
Nope...not "probably"; DEFINITELY, and it's documented, historical fact. There are also many books of the bible that were OMITTED in their entirety, passages that were re-written to favor the church and/or denigrate others. Those are also facts.
Quote:
That doesn't negate that each book was co-authored by man and God, or that the committees who finalized what was canon were supervised by God.
The committees were not 'supervised by god' any more (or less), than some guy who fills potholes on the road. They're not special...not then, and not now. They acted in their own self-interest.
Quote:
There's very little evidence in the Scriptures themselves and even in the historical record that strongly suggests the Bible is not authentic.
Again, you display willful ignorance of history. There is a MOUNTAIN of evidence, in the documents themselves and in the historical record, that says otherwise.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #4439
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
..and typically MORE than one author, sometimes written decades/centuries after the events described.

Nope...not "probably"; DEFINITELY, and it's documented, historical fact. There are also many books of the bible that were OMITTED in their entirety, passages that were re-written to favor the church and/or denigrate others. Those are also facts.

The committees were not 'supervised by god' any more (or less), than some guy who fills potholes on the road. They're not special...not then, and not now. They acted in their own self-interest.

Again, you display willful ignorance of history. There is a MOUNTAIN of evidence, in the documents themselves and in the historical record, that says otherwise.
Then why have the links you've posted so far provided not even a shred of your claim to "mountains" of evidence?
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #4440
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,192

Rep: Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469Reputation: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Then why have the links you've posted so far provided not even a shred of your claim to "mountains" of evidence?
They have...but no one can make you understand them, or let you believe them. People have pointed you to LOTS of verifiable data, all of which you ignore.

Again, you display willful ignorance. That is, you are shown things, but refuse to believe/understand them, because they conflict with what you 'think' is true. You can educate people, but intentional ignorance/stupidity cannot be fixed.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration