LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 168 28.82%
Deist 18 3.09%
Theist 23 3.95%
Agnostic 120 20.58%
Atheist 254 43.57%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #2986
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
You offered an interpretation of geneology based on historical cultural information, and now you're acting as if that information is completely unverifiable. So since you can't back up your argument with independent sources, I'm going to go ahead and ignore your point.
I see a different picture though.
I've offered you a very good explanation the like of which you couldn't find yourself. One which is absolutely verifiable using the same book. Those genealogies were handled at the time by scribes in the society which WAS religious all through. I will be quite safe, too, assuming that evangelist Luke knew much more about the matter than yourself.
And in any case I don't know how you pretend to believe there could exist "non-religious" sources of such information...

But hey, that's just my opinion and need not discourage YOU! Just don't let nobody and nothing turn you down.
Go and find these sources and then make a good presentation of it. Then I'll see what your "interest" is worth.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #2987
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
Ah yes, because a god is sooo much more probable. But you misunderstand a fundamental feature of evolution. It is not by chance. Natural selection, sexual selection, these are non-random processes. That is why there things appear designed, they are. They're just not intelligently designed. And they don't appear to be. Life is terribly inefficient. If God designed life, he's a piss poor engineer.
You call it by chance or non-random process there is no way it can evolve without any external support. Being spent so much time and efforts in science and technology so far, our well qualified scientists even can not develop such a organ, how its possible it got developed with unexperienced non-intelligent non-random process. I came to know today heart also got brain cells and in uterus heart gets develop before brain. This is just one organ we are talking about, look at your full body. Each and every part minor or major is speaking the evidence of designer. Still science has to learn a lot about human body. Life is terrible inefficient????? I heard this first time.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #2988
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
We are spending billions in searching for lives in other planets,
while in our own planet people are dying because of hunger.

Last edited by ShaanAli; 08-26-2011 at 01:49 PM.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #2989
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
The story of Jesus itself borrows very heavily from other religions. Just some examples:
- When Mary Magdalene washes the feet of Jesus with her hair, this is borrowed straight from the Egyptians, with Mary as Isis and Jesus playing the role of Osiris.
- Speaking of Osiris, he was dead for three days and was resurrected. Sound familiar?
- One of the central themes of the Gospels is an apocalypse. Apocalyptic traditions were rampant in the Near East at that time, and as it sat astride the major trading routes, all the ideas came through Israel.
- On the subject of common themes... virgin birth. Mithras is a primary example. Mithras is also a great example of the concept of substitutive sacrifice, the central pillar of Christian belief.
Easy to say, yet hard to prove. Especially seeing that all the above is hardly the result of YOUR research.

And I read the Bible myself and can at any time produce any needed evidence from it, and these are not mere words.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #2990
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaanAli View Post
You call it by chance or non-random process there is no way it can evolve without any external support. Being spent so much time and efforts in science and technology so far, our well qualified scientists even can not develop such a organ, how its possible it got developed with unexperienced non-intelligent non-random process. I came to know today heart also got brain cells and in uterus heart gets develop before brain. This is just one organ we are talking about, look at your full body. Each and every part minor or major is speaking the evidence of designer. Still science has to learn a lot about human body. Life is terrible inefficient????? I heard this first time.
Let alone the fact, that all this "selection" he's talking about takes place only in the imagination of the evolutionists. The selection, as any educated biologist knows but too well after all these years of observation, has NEVER produce anything that could be recognized as constituting NEW species.

So all these talks about these "selections" is for uneducated people, who don't even bother to study this abundant information available these days through Internet. And those who DO already know, that evolutionists have long GIVEN UP on selection and mutation as means to produce new species.

Just don't forget: between Darwin and our take there has passed SOME TIME. Don't you think scientists were sitting idle all these years. Observation and analysis have been made, conclusions drawn. Selection and mutation DON'T work the way it was originally suggested. Period.

Oh, and DON'T, please, tell me next that 100 years is not enough to notice such thing. It's not about that, it's about the fact that mutation ONLY produces mutilated species and never anything improved. Then in next generations it gradually comes back to normal. The Maker of DNA did his job very well! They will yet break their teeth on it, you know.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #2991
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
If God designed life, he's a piss poor engineer.
I don't believe you're sincere on this one, excuse me. At least, you're not at all hasty to part with that "poor" life of yours, it seems?
Well then, eat and say "thank you!" , which is not only good manners, but it makes one feel better himself .
 
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #2992
reed9
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 653

Rep: Reputation: 141Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
And those who DO already know, that evolutionists have long GIVEN UP on selection and mutation as means to produce new species.
Wow. Just wow. Totally wrong, of course.

This is what kills me. You all are so certain that evolution isn't true, and yet the caricature of evolution you have in your mind is filled with errors and misconceptions you don't even know what evolutionary theory really says or what the evidence is. I'm done. I can't argue with willful ignorance.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #2993
reed9
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 653

Rep: Reputation: 141Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
I don't believe you're sincere on this one, excuse me. At least, you're not at all hasty to part with that "poor" life of yours, it seems?
Well then, eat and say "thank you!" , which is not only good manners, but it makes one feel better himself .
And of course I'm sincere. There's tons of examples of poor, inefficient designs in animals, including humans.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #2994
SL00b
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: LA, US
Distribution: SLES
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
I see a different picture though.
I've offered you a very good explanation the like of which you couldn't find yourself. One which is absolutely verifiable using the same book. Those genealogies were handled at the time by scribes in the society which WAS religious all through. I will be quite safe, too, assuming that evangelist Luke knew much more about the matter than yourself.
And in any case I don't know how you pretend to believe there could exist "non-religious" sources of such information...

But hey, that's just my opinion and need not discourage YOU! Just don't let nobody and nothing turn you down.
Go and find these sources and then make a good presentation of it. Then I'll see what your "interest" is worth.
You're saying that, in that time and place in history, it was natural for people to write about their sons-in-laws as if they were their sons. This is not a religious question, it's a historical-cultural question.

The reason it has to be verified by a non-Christian source should be obvious: Christians lie about their sources all the time. They're like God's Fox News.

Nice try shifting the burden of proof, too. I'm not the one making claims about first century Jewish literature practices, you are. The burden of proof is on you. Otherwise, your argument does not merit consideration.

Last edited by SL00b; 08-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #2995
SL00b
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: LA, US
Distribution: SLES
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
Easy to say, yet hard to prove. Especially seeing that all the above is hardly the result of YOUR research.

And I read the Bible myself and can at any time produce any needed evidence from it, and these are not mere words.
Not hard to prove at all. We've got quite a number of sources on Egyptian mythologies, both from Egyptian and Roman sources. Plutarch is particularly useful on Osiris. Sources on Mithras are a little less common.

Anyway, Mithras was just one of several gods predating Jesus with special birth stories, so enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_births

Here's another interesting bit Christians borrowed from Osiris, as described by Plutarch: "The death of the grain and the death of the god were one and the same: the cereal is identified with the god who came from heaven; he is the bread by which man lives. The resurrection of the god symbolized the rebirth of the grain."

Hello, eucharist.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #2996
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
Not hard to prove at all. We've got quite a number of sources on Egyptian mythologies, both from Egyptian and Roman sources. Plutarch is particularly useful on Osiris. Sources on Mithras are a little less common.

Anyway, Mithras was just one of several gods predating Jesus with special birth stories, so enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_births

Here's another interesting bit Christians borrowed from Osiris, as described by Plutarch: "The death of the grain and the death of the god were one and the same: the cereal is identified with the god who came from heaven; he is the bread by which man lives. The resurrection of the god symbolized the rebirth of the grain."

Hello, eucharist.
You didn't get it, man.

The Bible is something that I can read myself in various languages and translations.
When you can do the same about the sources you're talking about, then we'll be equal to discuss these matters. So far it is with you like repeating other people's gossip without being able to test and prove it.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #2997
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
Wow. Just wow.
Exactly .

While evolution is indeed a "caricature" in itself, it is in no way hidden from public. As they teach it from elementary to high school and college, push it everywhere as a "science", it is pretty much well known thing.

And it fails at EVERY "evidence" it pretends to have. It is not just "probability is wrong" or something. It is ALL false and imaginary from A to Z. Starting from the "transitional links" between species which no one has ever seen, as every species ever found was just that: a SPECIES, finished and perfectly fit as such (by definition), no signs of being "transitional" in any way.
So starting from that and all the way to the obvious fact that evolution as a process just doesn't take place in this world. The matter we see around us doesn't "evolve" on its own, that's all. Therefore you must look for other reason of it being so various in design and complication, and intelligent creation is the only alternative.

Of course, people's minds are so much biased in favour of evolution, that when they are given "alternative look" at it, their reaction is always a "WOW!".

So the evolutionists' view on things (to correct my previous statement) can be justly described thus: "we don't know, yet god we don't want, therefore it MUST be creation, however impossible it may seem". This demonstrates much better their state of mind.
So "evolutionism" isn't a "science" as compared with sciences, it's rather a religion where one's will to believe in it outweighs sound reason and judgement together with factual evidence.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #2998
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
You're saying that, in that time and place in history, it was natural for people to write about their sons-in-laws as if they were their sons. This is not a religious question, it's a historical-cultural question.
And since when has the Bible ceased to be a historical-cultural document?
Or, what other such documents of such value about Jewish life are found?

Last edited by kostya; 08-27-2011 at 04:55 AM.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #2999
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
And of course I'm sincere. There's tons of examples of poor, inefficient designs in animals, including humans.
It is not "poor design", according to the Bible it is a consequence of sin, the original disobedience to God of the first human couple.
You don't expect to rebel against the Maker and continue in good health, do you? You can steal things from a fellow human and pretend before others these are YOUR things. But God is not someone to be fooled with.

Ah, but since you expel God from the list of existing things, it complicates matters. FOR YOU.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #3000
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
Wow. Just wow. Totally wrong, of course.
Not ALL evolutionists have given up on that, of course. Yet the smartest among them have got it that they aren't going to find transitional species. So now they're talking about "instantaneous" change from a "less" to a "more advanced" species. Sorry, I couldn't found any Internet links; but I think you'll have no problems finding them, fond as you are of evolution stuff.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration