LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 165 28.75%
Deist 18 3.14%
Theist 23 4.01%
Agnostic 120 20.91%
Atheist 248 43.21%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #4486
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148

Can you please just stop making infinite seperate threads like last one about this? As for Hope - there is always hope! Always!

Last edited by Arcane; 08-18-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: link
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #4487
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Can you please just stop making infinite seperate threads like last one about this? As for Hope - there is always hope! Always!
As usual, you did not really read my "question," which answers, there is hope for each of us, when we overcome death.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #4488
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,256

Rep: Reputation: 1076Reputation: 1076Reputation: 1076Reputation: 1076Reputation: 1076Reputation: 1076Reputation: 1076Reputation: 1076
Preacher-man, why don't you just go and pick a different street corner?
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #4489
Captain Pinkeye
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Location: The Czech Republic
Posts: 178

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Human life proves there is human hope. ...that proves there is no human hope.
I think one of your "proofs" is wrong.

Greeting to Japan, btw.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #4490
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,402
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Human life proves there is human hope.
Nope, it doesn't. How should it? There are humans out there that live but have no hope.
Quote:
But as long as we all meet with death, and as long as none triumph over death, that proves there is no human hope.
This is contrary to your former statement and still not logical in itself. Death is necessary for nature and therefore human beings, without death there would be massive overpopulation and no need to procreate, which would mean that there would be no evolution (in mind and physically). Without death there would be less hope than with.
Quote:
But then, what about this life we still have?
Just enjoy it as long as you can.

Moved to the Megathread.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #4491
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
I think if you were honest and read what I've really said so far you'd say what's true.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #4492
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,402
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
I think if you were honest and read what I've really said so far you'd say what's true.
So because someone has a different opinion than you or points out logical mistakes in your argumentation he/she automatically is dishonest? That isn't a nice attitude and especially not one that encourages a civil dispute of any topic.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #4493
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,190

Rep: Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
So because someone has a different opinion than you or points out logical mistakes in your argumentation he/she automatically is dishonest? That isn't a nice attitude and especially not one that encourages a civil dispute of any topic.
Couldn't have said it better myself. And you're not the only one who has said that about bluegospel before.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #4494
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
So because someone has a different opinion than you or points out logical mistakes in your argumentation he/she automatically is dishonest? That isn't a nice attitude and especially not one that encourages a civil dispute of any topic.
No. I've made two brief statements, neither of which have been handled honestly.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #4495
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
I don't believe in "death". I think it is just something priests came up with to scare people into becoming religious.

Sure, you can observe other "living" things die, i.e. you can see their cognitive and motor functions cease, but you don't know what happens from their point of view.

I think that consciousness is simply the ability to process information, and as such, all information processing systems have it in varying degrees. Your ability to experience, think, "live" is a result of your information processing ability. If you can no longer process information (you die, possibly non-REM sleep), then you cannot experience or think. This means that you cannot experience "death" because you, as an information processing system / a virtual entity, are not online / do not exist at the time.

So then, what can you experience ? only life.

Another way to think about it is two different time lines, one real and one virtual. Each is contiguous when viewed from within, but dis-contiguous when viewed from the opposite point of view.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #4496
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,190

Rep: Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468Reputation: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
No. I've made two brief statements, neither of which have been handled honestly.
Sorry, but that's a lie. If you can't see it, that's your problem.

You don't want to engage anyone in a rational discussion, and have NEVER wanted to. If we disagree with you, we're wrong/skeptics/blasphemers/whatever...no matter what proof or evidence is provided. You want to shout and wave your arms about YOUR 'thoughts', but don't seem to want anyone else to proclaim theirs.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #4497
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,392

Rep: Reputation: 812Reputation: 812Reputation: 812Reputation: 812Reputation: 812Reputation: 812Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel
No. I've made two brief statements, neither of which have been handled honestly.
Maybe because they were virtually content-free and more like spambot output than actual human thoughts.

Anyway, regardless of the question, can we assume the answer is "Jesus"?
 
Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #4498
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,527
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Sorry, but that's a lie. If you can't see it, that's your problem.

You don't want to engage anyone in a rational discussion, and have NEVER wanted to. If we disagree with you, we're wrong/skeptics/blasphemers/whatever...no matter what proof or evidence is provided. You want to shout and wave your arms about YOUR 'thoughts', but don't seem to want anyone else to proclaim theirs.
Yet another reason to stop honouring those posts with a reply.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #4499
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,402
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993Reputation: 3993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
No. I've made two brief statements, neither of which have been handled honestly.
Please point out where I handled your statements dishonest or where my answers to to them where dishonest.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #4500
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
1)
blue: Human life proves there is human hope.
Tobi: Nope, it doesn't. How should it? There are humans out there that live but have no hope.
----------
2)
blue: But as long as we all meet with death, and as long as none triumph over death, that proves there is no human hope.
This is contrary to your former statement and still not logical in itself. Death is necessary for nature and therefore human beings, without death there would be massive overpopulation and no need to procreate, which would mean that there would be no evolution (in mind and physically). Without death there would be less hope than with.
----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Please point out where I handled your statements dishonest or where my answers to to them where dishonest.
1) Which humans "have no hope," as you say? Doubtless there are masses not having taken hold of hope. But every human has a chance at life, especially eternal life. I guess the real question is what are you doing now to impart hope to all those "hopeless" ones--materially (which happens to be my favorite part) and immaterially?

2) What did I say? Did I say, "As long as we all meet with death, there is no human hope?" No. That's what you heard. If by choice, then you've betrayed your dishonesty. What I said was, "As long as none triumph over death," there is no human hope.

Perhaps your treatment doesn't betray your dishonesty--but certainly your lack of care with regard to these few words. For that you are not to blame. But if you've handled my few words--which make eternal claims--without care, how could you have ever handled the 66 chapters of the Bible with due care? For that, yes you are to blame.

As educated as you are--in fact, Tobi, you haven't treated the Bible as fairly as you should have, in light of the claims contained within it, and in light of the extent of your liberal education.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration