LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #61
enorbet

Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys

Rep: Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
That it takes so many posts for some to not understand that one can have installed libpulse.so without ever starting a pulseaudio server is beyond me. That people feel the need to spend (waste, IMO) a lot of efforts to remove a software from their system instead of just not using it is beyond me. That Pat accepted to maintain two versions of software to satisfy the pulseaudio haters is beyond me.

This was my rant of the day, thanks for your attention, now everyone may resume the tasks interrupted to read it.
I know I'm not the only Pulse hater here, but I would like to point out that in a previous post in this thread I mentioned that I expected at some point to have to have Pulse but just try to prevent it from running unless demanded. Given my above problems with "pure-alsa-system" noted above, I'm guessing that time has arrived and may possibly explain why Patrick bothered initially. Iinitially 14.2 deferred/caved to Pulse for one reason and one reason only - Bluetooth. That has changed drastically and rather ironically in the years since.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #62
enorbet

Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys

Rep: Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435
CORRECTION & UPDATE - A new clean install of May8,2020 -Current is working just fine as pure-alsa-system. FWIW I'm planning on installing Studioware on it in hopes that isolating my DAW work can keep a pure alsa system while I cave to a minimal pulse on Main.

Just in case it wasn't me screwing things up before... thank you yet again Eric for making things just work.

Last edited by enorbet; 05-08-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:47 AM   #63
FTIO

Distribution: Slackware 15.0 x64, Slackware Live 15.0 x64

Rep: Reputation: 361Reputation: 361Reputation: 361Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
That it takes so many posts for some to not understand that one can have installed libpulse.so without ever starting a pulseaudio server is beyond me. That people feel the need to spend (waste, IMO) a lot of efforts to remove a software from their system instead of just not using it is beyond me. That Pat accepted to maintain two versions of software to satisfy the pulseaudio haters is beyond me.

This was my rant of the day, thanks for your attention, now everyone may resume the tasks interrupted to read it.
Then why have anything other than one DE and one distro of Linux? By your logic, everyone should use Ubuntu or whatever, MATE on it, and whatever comes with that distro. If you try to change anything on it's stock setup it will melt your hard drive.

It *used* to be, that Linux let us make the syetem *OURS*. We could change things to what *WE* wanted, and how we wanted it to work and look. Usually it didn't take much more than some app letting us click a box and save, tick a little box and save, etc, etc. This was one of the very few reasons I chose to switch cold-turkey, literally overnight from M$ to Linux...I could actually have control of and do what I wanted with what *I* owned, and relatively easily.

Now we have ShitAudio...I mean PulseAudio and systemd that allows us to do superficial garbage (at best!) to *OUR* system anymore...and here *YOU* are, hyping that up as if it's all a Good Thing©®™. Microshaft was and still is the same way. Why don't you just tell everyone to drop Linux period and go back to using M$ since we should just be happy with what comes on it and "just use it".

There, that's *MY* "rant of the day".

Old 05-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #64
GazL
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026Reputation: 5026
Didier's point is valid: if you don't like pulseaudio (which I don't), the pragmatic choice is to disable it through configuration (which I have).

Removing pulseaudio entirely (including libpulse*.so) is a valid choice, but will necessitate anything linked against the library to be rebuilt, and apparently that "anything" includes parts of KDE. Pat's pure-alsa/ package variants get you so far, but only so far.

I'd say I was surprised to hear that KDE desktop startup would have a hard-dependency on pulseaudio, but, hey, it's KDE, so I'm not. There's a reason I stick with fvwm.

Last edited by GazL; 05-10-2020 at 06:12 AM. Reason: typo

Old 05-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #65
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTIO View Post
Then why have anything other than one DE and one distro of Linux?
I fail to see how this is related to that. I didn't write that one should use PulseAudio, but that you can never use it, without removing it. Maybe re-read my post?

Now, if you think that no application should have a hard dependency on pulseaudio, say that to their developers, not to Didier. Good luck to convince them to change their design choices to please you.

This being said, most applications in Slint will work even with PulseAudio removed.

@Gazl: We ship apulse, that allows to fake libpulse.so in many cases. I just checked after having removed PulseAudio, you can even start KDE like this without PulseAudio installed: apulse startx

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 05-10-2020 at 06:28 PM. Reason: s/libulse.so/libpulse.so/

Tags
alsa, moc stable, pulse audio