LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2005, 05:10 AM   #1
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Rep: Reputation: 30
Fluxbox: theme background and menu/toolbar transparency


I made a theme and I put a background on it. I changed the style to it but the menu and toolbar still show transparent to the previous theme. How can I get it to show transparency to the background?
 
Old 04-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #2
t3gah
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 734

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Fluxbox: theme background and menu/toolbar transparency

Quote:
Originally posted by jaakkop
I made a theme and I put a background on it. I changed the style to it but the menu and toolbar still show transparent to the previous theme. How can I get it to show transparency to the background?
You didn't say which distribution.

I have a Gentoo Wiki HOWTO > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fluxbox
Then this FAQ > http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/faq/quest...r-fluxbox.html
And sourceforge Theme's HOWTO > http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/...doc.themes.php
 
Old 04-09-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Re: Fluxbox: theme background and menu/toolbar transparency

Quote:
Originally posted by t3gah
You didn't say which distribution.
Sorry, the distro is SimplyMepis (Debian based distro).
 
Old 04-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
geomatt
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: PA
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 315

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
originally posted by jaakop
the menu and toolbar still show transparent to the previous theme. How can I get it to show transparency to the background?
Did you restart fluxbox? Go to the menu and down below somewhere should be an entry for restart. It won't close X it will just reload the theme and such. When I change backgrounds I find that I need to do that to adjust what is showing through the menus and toolbar....

-geomatt

Last edited by geomatt; 04-09-2005 at 11:06 AM.
 
Old 04-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by geomatt
Did you restart fluxbox?
Yep, I restarded it before I wrote this question.
 
Old 04-09-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Torsmo and aterm shows transparent but not the toolbar, menu and fbpager. This 'fbsetbg -i' showed me:
Code:
display sets the 'wrong' wallpaper. Transparency for fluxbox and apps like aterm and xchat won't work right with it. Consider installing feh, wmsetbg (from windowmaker) or Esetroot (from Eterm) and I'll use them instead.
What does it mean by 'wrong' wallpaper?

Last edited by jaakkop; 04-09-2005 at 09:40 AM.
 
Old 04-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
geomatt
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: PA
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 315

Rep: Reputation: 30
OK. The problem is the program that loads the background image. I use esetroot which is a part of the Eterm package. The way it is invoked in a style is:
Code:
rootCommand: esetroot -scale /path/to/wallpapers/wallpaper.jpg
if you want to take this approach, just install Eterm and you'll have access to esetroot.

Good luck,
-geomatt
 
Old 04-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by geomatt
...
Code:
rootCommand: esetroot -scale /path/to/wallpapers/wallpaper.jpg
...
Stupid question: Does it have to be .jpg. Can't it be .png?
 
Old 04-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
geomatt
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: PA
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 315

Rep: Reputation: 30
Can be .png as well....

Hey I just found out that you can get esetroot by itself without eterm if you want: here


-geomatt
 
Old 04-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by geomatt
Can be .png as well....

Hey I just found out that you can get esetroot by itself without eterm if you want: here


-geomatt
Thx, geomatt. Only thing is that when I replaced the fbsetbg with esetroot and did 'Exit' and logged in again it showed the wallpaper I got in login screen. Then I replaced the esetroot with fbset and restarded the Fluxbox it showed me the wallpaper I got and the transparency I wanted. Now I'm worried, that do I have to do this every time or am I doing something wrong.
 
Old 04-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
geomatt
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: PA
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 315

Rep: Reputation: 30
Sure no, problem

I'm not sure exactly what problem you are having, but I realize now that a good way to make sure the wallpaper you want gets transparency right from the start is to start Esetroot as early as possible. (Oh and it should be invoked as Esetroot -scale not esetroot -scale - with the capital E - I was testing it out and it took me a minute to figure that out :P)

It can be invoked:
1. by the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file that starts the window manager
2. in the ~/.fluxbox/init file that intializes fluxbox
3. in the style file

I have found that the way to make sure I get transparency right from the start is by putting the Esetroot -scale /blah/blah/wallpaper.jpg command in xinitrc file just before the line /usr/bin/fluxbox which actually loads the window manager. If you do this make sure that the rootCommand: lines in the ~/.fluxbox/init and theme files don't have any commands in them otherwise they will be invoked after the window manager starts and you'll lose the initial background.

Does that help??

-geomatt
 
Old 04-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by geomatt
Sure no, problem

I'm not sure exactly what problem you are having, but I realize now that a good way to make sure the wallpaper you want gets transparency right from the start is to start Esetroot as early as possible. (Oh and it should be invoked as Esetroot -scale not esetroot -scale - with the capital E - I was testing it out and it took me a minute to figure that out :P)

It can be invoked:
1. by the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file that starts the window manager
2. in the ~/.fluxbox/init file that intializes fluxbox
3. in the style file

I have found that the way to make sure I get transparency right from the start is by putting the Esetroot -scale /blah/blah/wallpaper.jpg command in xinitrc file just before the line /usr/bin/fluxbox which actually loads the window manager. If you do this make sure that the rootCommand: lines in the ~/.fluxbox/init and theme files don't have any commands in them otherwise they will be invoked after the window manager starts and you'll lose the initial background.

Does that help??

-geomatt
I guess the problem was on the letter E
 
Old 04-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
geomatt
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: PA
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 315

Rep: Reputation: 30
meant to edit this one - see next post

Last edited by geomatt; 04-09-2005 at 10:51 AM.
 
Old 04-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
geomatt
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: PA
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 315

Rep: Reputation: 30


My bad!

-geomatt
 
Old 04-09-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
jaakkop
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Posts: 433

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by geomatt


My bad!

-geomatt
It's OK now. The problem is solved. Thx, all
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transparency in Aterm won't work, fbsetbg won't set previous background rob0t Slackware 2 08-13-2005 07:37 PM
fluxbox menu transparency kiedis Linux - General 10 06-04-2004 03:29 PM
fluxbox menu transparency Prob crash_happy Linux - Software 8 04-12-2004 12:04 PM
Installing Open Office toolbar theme icons saurya_s Linux - Software 11 12-22-2003 05:06 AM
Gnome 2.4 Menu/Theme Transparency xatmes Linux - Software 0 11-02-2003 10:31 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration