LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
arubin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Middx UK
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1 (multilib)
Posts: 1,209

Rep: Reputation: 55
Slackware 12, HAL automount


I have just installed slackware 12 and cannot get the hang of Hal.

I plug in a usb drive and the box comes up asking what I want to do with it.

What I want to do is automount and nothing else, no new boxes, no konquerer.

How do I do this?

Where is a good Hal FAQ

TIA
 
Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
dive
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,203

Rep: Reputation: 292Reputation: 292Reputation: 292
You should be able to choose 'do nothing' and tick the box to always do this. It's a kde feature rather than Hal.

There are also options in control centre to put device icons on the desktop when mounted.

It's possible to use a combination of Hal and Autofs so it's possible to have the choice of using command line or konqueror.
 
Old 07-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Boow
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 669

Rep: Reputation: 32
I dont know if kde's automounter will mount the cd without opening konqueror. I think ivman will function the way you want but you have to disable kde's automounting. Maybe someone that has ivman installed in kde 3.5.7 can tell you better than I can.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
arubin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Middx UK
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1 (multilib)
Posts: 1,209

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 55
'Do nothing' leaves the device unmounted. I have the option set so that the device icon appears but it is still unmounted.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #5
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,913

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
HAL doesn't actually mount anything; for lack of a better way to put it, HAL simply provides (in a standardized format) information about the hardware and what actions are potentially allowed, and then something else can use dbus methods (pending proper permissions) to actually *do* something with/to the hardware.

For what you're trying to do, I believe you'll want to investigate ivman and/or pmount (though there may very well be other options). http://slackbuilds.org has ivman and pmount scripts for 11.0, but they have not been tested or approved for use on 12.0, so caveat emptor.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
Datamike
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Finland
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 15
I don't think there is a good FAQ for HAL yet, nor much in terms of troubleshooting or tutorials on how to use it. I'm also having trouble getting into terms with HAL.

For example, just inserting and getting my CDROM mounted, is a problem. I do get the box asking what to do with it. But when I click that I want browse it, konqueror launches and I get a weird error message:

A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient: see message bus configuration file (rejected message had
interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"
member "Mount" error name "(unset)"
destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")


Anyone have a clue what this means?
 
Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
arubin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Middx UK
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1 (multilib)
Posts: 1,209

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 55
I do not know if this will help your problem but it may be worth checking that the cdrom line is commented out in fstab and that you are joined to the cdrom group.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
ludist
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Greece
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 16
Not tested, but I think you should be member of plugdev group..

info taken from CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT
 
Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
bmfan
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datamike
I don't think there is a good FAQ for HAL yet, nor much in terms of troubleshooting or tutorials on how to use it. I'm also having trouble getting into terms with HAL.

For example, just inserting and getting my CDROM mounted, is a problem. I do get the box asking what to do with it. But when I click that I want browse it, konqueror launches and I get a weird error message:

A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient: see message bus configuration file (rejected message had
interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"
member "Mount" error name "(unset)"
destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")


Anyone have a clue what this means?
It means you didnt add yourself to the 'plugdev' and 'cdrom' groups
" Users in the "plugdev" or "cdrom" group will be able to use such devices on the desktop without the need to mount/umount them manually."
 
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
Datamike
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Finland
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfan
It means you didnt add yourself to the 'plugdev' and 'cdrom' groups
" Users in the "plugdev" or "cdrom" group will be able to use such devices on the desktop without the need to mount/umount them manually."
I did actually, but I noticed that my HAL has the same problem as my Apache; reloading or restarting doesn't help. Whenever I changed some settings, I have to restart apache, using the stop-start sequence. With HAL, even that did not help. I have to reboot the whole computer. Very strange. Anyone else have this issue?

But yeah, now it works. Thanks for the help

Are there more groups for this purpose? E.g. if I want to automount an usb stick or an external usb drive, etc. Any groups I should add myself to accomplish this?
 
Old 07-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #11
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,913

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datamike
I did actually, but I noticed that my HAL has the same problem as my Apache; reloading or restarting doesn't help. Whenever I changed some settings, I have to restart apache, using the stop-start sequence. With HAL, even that did not help. I have to reboot the whole computer. Very strange. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes and no. Yes, in that restarting hald won't solve it. No, in that restarting dbus will. That's documented in CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT, by the way.

Quote:
Are there more groups for this purpose? E.g. if I want to automount an usb stick or an external usb drive, etc. Any groups I should add myself to accomplish this?
plugdev and cdrom should cover it.
 
Old 07-07-2007, 02:34 AM   #12
Datamike
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Finland
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman
Yes and no. Yes, in that restarting hald won't solve it. No, in that restarting dbus will. That's documented in CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT, by the way.
And not surprisingly, I have read the said document, at least the bits about HAL. When I said restarting HAL, I meant restarting DBUS. Sorry for the confusion. For me, the difference isn't so clear.

Reloading (as in /etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus reload) does not help. Neither does stopping and starting. Actually, automounting stops responding if I stop and start again. It's very peculiar.
 
Old 07-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
gargamel
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, OpenSuSE
Posts: 1,594

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Not sure, but maybe you need to re-login after adding yourself to the relevant groups, as your login session reads the groups your user belongs to at login time... It shouldn't be necessary to reboot, but it may be necessary to restart D-BUS and/or HAL.

gargamel
 
Old 07-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
Tux-Slack
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 511

Rep: Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfan
It means you didnt add yourself to the 'plugdev' and 'cdrom' groups
" Users in the "plugdev" or "cdrom" group will be able to use such devices on the desktop without the need to mount/umount them manually."
This works, if you have in fstab the option users on that device.
But what about USB storage devices? Where do I need to add the users?
 
Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
happyslacker
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
Don't add users - it is unnecessary.

How to use USB flash drive with Slackware Linux

First turn on HAL and D-BUS (if you don't):
Code:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus
/etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus start
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.hald
/etc/rc.d/rc.hald start
and then install package installpkg vsupdfstab-0.1-noarch-0.tgz:

Maybe you must restart KDE.
 
  


Reply

Tags
automount, cdrom, dbus, drive, flash, fstab, group, hal, plugdev, slackware, usb, utf8


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preparing for Slackware 12 and Hal arubin Slackware 4 07-05-2007 10:44 AM
automount[10761]: failed to mount /media/.hal-mtab kevkim55 Linux - General 0 06-23-2007 12:29 PM
HAL on Slackware 11.0 cdale77 Slackware 4 05-13-2007 05:55 PM
after update HAL automount doesn't work eddiep Linux - Hardware 4 02-26-2007 01:58 PM
Slackware 11, KDE 3.5.4 + hal shadowhunter Slackware 3 10-07-2006 01:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration