LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #31
R Tanner
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

is this a problem? You can see I'm running as root so...

It looks like it did create the b43-fwcutter-012 directory though so seems like everything is okay..just wanted to make sure that i get this right to a T

Code:
root@darkstar:/media/disk/2nd Install# tar xjf b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/README: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/md5.c: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/b43-fwcutter.1: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/md5.h: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/Makefile: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/mklist.py: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/fwcutter.h: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/fwcutter.c: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/fwcutter_list.h: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Last edited by R Tanner; 02-22-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot to include something
 
Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #32
Hangaber
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 93

Rep: Reputation: 25
Rather coincidentally, I tried to get my wireless working on my laptop just last night. I'm posting the following in hopes that my success helps you. I've never manually setup the wireless on my laptop, and this worked really well for me. My initial mistake was to only read 'parts' of the guide in the URL below... so I initially messed with rc.wireless.conf.... but then I adjusted that back to default once I actually read through the guide properly.

My Laptop has a Broadcom BCM4311.

Initially, when I tried to use the card, the /var/log/messages told me to go get the b43 driver.

From slackbuilds.org, I obtained and installed b43-fwcutter and b43-firmware (in that order).

Using Alien BOB's guide here, I first modified just a few lines in rc.inet1.conf

Something like;
Code:
IFNAME[4]="wlan0"
USE_DHCP[4]="yes"
WLAN_ESSID[4]="MyESSIDHere"
WLAN_MODE[4]="Managed"
WLAN_WPA[4]="wpa_supplicant"
(I could probably change this from [4] to [1], and comment out the other [1] lines... but my initial goal was to just get it working.)

I edited /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (according to the Alien BOB's guide, which matched near perfectly). Worked great.

My KEY is really funky, and long. It contains all kinds of characters including quotes, slashes, etc, so I used wpa_passphrase to convert the string from funkystring to hex.
wpa_passphrase MyESSIDHere MyFunkyStringKeyHere
- of, which now I realize would have been better for me...
wpa_passphrase MyESSIDHere
(Then type or paste the funkystring in when it asks me to)

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 wlan0_stop # not even sure this was needed
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 wlan0_start # gave me a minor error about setting a "nickname" I think, but anyway...
ifconfig # Shows that I got a 192.168.* ip from my crappy wireless router.

The laptop could then ping the router and other machines in my LAN.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #33
R Tanner
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_penguinator View Post
Okay looks good, you have the correct *modules* loaded...and you get points for persisting...for this is the way of Slack...but you still need to install the *firmware* for your card before you can go any further...go here...

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

follow the instructions _exactly_ listed there for getting b43-fwcutter-012 and broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2 installed...when you have that done report back for further assistance...you will be only a few simple steps away from slack wifi nirvana
holy crap! its freakin picking up some wifi man!! this is awesome. that just made my day. i can't tell you how siked i am. i'm at work though and the network i want to connect to isn't broadcasting...how do i connect to a non broadcasting essid? i also have an ethernet cable here...how do i connect with that? I've tried the following to no avail

looking at my ethernet cord there is a green solid light and a blinking yellow light...any thoughts anyone?

Code:
root@darkstar:~# ifconfig eth0 down
root@darkstar:~# ifconfig eth0 up
root@darkstar:~#
thanks so much everyone for your help...you are all awesome! i'm one step closer to being a true slacker lol
 
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #34
mryuck
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Posts: 107

Rep: Reputation: 23
Congratulations!
Code:
iwlist scan
will list access points but I don`t know about hidden essid`s. You might be able to connect by mac address.
As for ethernet you probably only need to
Code:
dhcpcd eth0
To get an ip address.
As for generic kernel, sorry I didn`t explain it better. You already had everything you needed. You just need to change the symbolic links in /boot to point to the *generic* ones instead of *huge*. The initrd is necessary for generic kernel.
This example is from the README.initrd
in /boot
Code:
mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.29.5 -m mbcache:jbd:ext3 -f ext3 -r /dev/hdb3
This assumes a root on /dev/hdb3 (which yours probably isn`t) and it assumes your using ext3 filesystem (which you might be).
The example also has a different kernel version than what you have.
Code:
uname -r
will display your kernel version.
Once successful with mkinitrd you will have initrd-tree and initrd.gz in your /boot directory.
Then in /etc/lilo.conf you will need to add a line like
Code:
initrd= /boot/initrd.gz
Don`t forget to
Code:
lilo
when finished with editing /etc/lilo.conf.
Of course this might be just a GIANT pain after getting wifi working!

Last edited by mryuck; 02-22-2010 at 07:43 PM.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #35
the_penguinator
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: slackware -current, OpenBSD, OSX
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Tanner View Post
holy crap! its freakin picking up some wifi man!! this is awesome. that just made my day. i can't tell you how siked i am. i'm at work though and the network i want to connect to isn't broadcasting...how do i connect to a non broadcasting essid? i also have an ethernet cable here...how do i connect with that? I've tried the following to no avail

looking at my ethernet cord there is a green solid light and a blinking yellow light...any thoughts anyone?

Code:
root@darkstar:~# ifconfig eth0 down
root@darkstar:~# ifconfig eth0 up
root@darkstar:~#
thanks so much everyone for your help...you are all awesome! i'm one step closer to being a true slacker lol
progress is good yes...to keep things easier for you for now, get and install wicd which you will find in /extra on any slack mirror...it's a pretty slick little app that makes a simple job, even simpler

if you have made any changes to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf , comment them out and return it to its original state, then reboot...when you start up kde or whatever, you'll have a wicd icon in your panel, click on it and it will identify all wireless networks within range...you will need to know the encryption keys to access the networks unless they are open WEP nodes...if you've got your ethernet cable in, wicd will id that network as well and you will need to put in the appropriate info to connect to that as well...but obviously you don't need both at the same time yes?

there really are only 3 files you need to know how to edit to do wifi manually with slack, but often you get conflicting and sometimes irrelevant info when you ask for help...after you've got your machine connected, do some reading about

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.wireless.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

so you'll know what wicd is doing for you and then

man wpa_passphrase
 
Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #36
R Tanner
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
so i'm not exactly sure what i'm doing wrong...i'm trying to connect to a network with a wpa2 passphrase and when i try to do so through wicd it says its validating authentication (at the bottom of the gui) and then it says its obtaining an IP address but that it fails to obtain an ip address...any ideas what I need to do differently? i've tried to connect by getting a key via wpa_passphrase and then setting the key via iwconfig but it tells me invalid arguments...

sorry i can provide what i'm typing in the console if you need..i'm just in the middle of trying to catch a bus
 
Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #37
PTrenholme
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Olympia, WA, USA
Distribution: Fedora, (K)Ubuntu
Posts: 4,154

Rep: Reputation: 333Reputation: 333Reputation: 333Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Tanner View Post
is this a problem? You can see I'm running as root so...

It looks like it did create the b43-fwcutter-012 directory though so seems like everything is okay..just wanted to make sure that i get this right to a T

Code:
root@darkstar:/media/disk/2nd Install# tar xjf b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/README: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/md5.c: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/b43-fwcutter.1: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/md5.h: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/Makefile: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/mklist.py: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/fwcutter.h: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/fwcutter.c: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012/fwcutter_list.h: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: b43-fwcutter-012: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
This looks like you're trying to extract the tar file to a directory called "2nd Install" on the media/disk drive. I suspect that /media/disk/2nd Install may be a CD or DVD that you've mounted "read only," which would make it difficult to write to the disk. It could be a USB drive, but, again, it may be mounted ro.

In any case, try creating some directory on your hard drive (mkdir ...) and use cd to change your working directory to that new one. Then try the tar command again.

<edit>
And, after I looked at the rest of your thread following the message I quoted, since you seem to have things now working, you can probably disregard this as irrelevant.
</edit>

Last edited by PTrenholme; 02-23-2010 at 04:52 PM.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #38
R Tanner
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
i do have things working...as long as the network is open and doesn't require a passkey/passphrase. I'm going to try to connect to a network that requires a wpa2 key tonight and see if I can figure it out...it kept telling me "unable to obtain ip address" when i was trying yesterday.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #39
mryuck
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Posts: 107

Rep: Reputation: 23
you need to look at /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. I don`t think iwconfig supports passphrase without wpa_supplicant but I`m not sure.

Last edited by mryuck; 02-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #40
the_penguinator
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: slackware -current, OpenBSD, OSX
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Tanner View Post
i do have things working...as long as the network is open and doesn't require a passkey/passphrase. I'm going to try to connect to a network that requires a wpa2 key tonight and see if I can figure it out...it kept telling me "unable to obtain ip address" when i was trying yesterday.
yeah that will happen if you don't know the passphrase for the network you're trying to connect to...it's a security thing yes?

but it does sound like you're getting somewhere...have you tried to connect to your own wireless network yet?
 
Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #41
R Tanner
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
so when trying to run wpa_supplicant this is what i get...i think the general gist is it can't find an access point...how do i rectify this? lol

Code:
root@darkstar:~# wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -d
Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'default' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'                                                                                             
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'                            
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'                                                  
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'                                                               
ctrl_interface_group='0'                                                                               
eapol_version=1                                                                                        
ap_scan=1                                                                                              
fast_reauth=1                                                                                          
Priority group 10                                                                                      
   id=0 ssid='Katies Corner'                                                                           
Priority group 0                                                                                       
   id=1 ssid=''                                                                                        
Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'                                                                     
SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=22 WE(source)=21 enc_capa=0xf                                               
  capabilities: key_mgmt 0xf enc 0xf flags 0x0                                                         
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5                                                               
Own MAC address: 00:1a:73:bc:14:37                                                                     
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa                                                                                
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0                                  
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0                                  
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0                                  
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0                                  
wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures                                                                    
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted                                                                   
RSN: flushing PMKID list in the driver                                                                 
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec                                                                
WPS: UUID based on MAC address - hexdump(len=16): 8e eb 4d 0d 1b eb 54 b1 ba 8b 4e 26 3b 23 e5 1d      
WPS: Build Beacon and Probe Response IEs                                                               
WPS:  * Version                                                                                        
WPS:  * Wi-Fi Protected Setup State (0)                                                                
WPS:  * Version                                                                                        
WPS:  * Wi-Fi Protected Setup State (0)                                                                
WPS:  * Response Type (2)                                                                              
WPS:  * UUID-E                                                                                         
WPS:  * Manufacturer                                                                                   
WPS:  * Model Name                                                                                     
WPS:  * Model Number                                                                                   
WPS:  * Serial Number                                                                                  
WPS:  * Primary Device Type                                                                            
WPS:  * Device Name                                                                                    
WPS:  * Config Methods (0)                                                                             
WPS:  * RF Bands (3)                                                                                   
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED                                                            
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE                                                            
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE                                                               
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED                                                                       
Using existing control interface directory.                                                            
ctrl_interface_group=0                                                                                 
ctrl_iface bind(PF_UNIX) failed: Address already in use
ctrl_iface exists and seems to be in use - cannot override it
Delete '/var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0' manually if it is not used anymore
Failed to initialize control interface '/var/run/wpa_supplicant'.
You may have another wpa_supplicant process already running or the file was
left by an unclean termination of wpa_supplicant in which case you will need
to manually remove this file before starting wpa_supplicant again.

Failed to add interface wlan0
State: DISCONNECTED -> DISCONNECTED
wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
Cancelling scan request
Cancelling authentication timeout
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=0, operstate=6
 
Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #42
mryuck
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Posts: 107

Rep: Reputation: 23
In /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf did you put your_64_char_psk where it said to?
To get the 64_char_psk you could do
Code:
wpa_passphrase youressid "passphrase"
Also you should have a gui program called wpa_gui. If you can`t find it just type wpa_gui in a terminal.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #43
the_penguinator
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: slackware -current, OpenBSD, OSX
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Tanner View Post
so when trying to run wpa_supplicant this is what i get...i think the general gist is it can't find an access point...how do i rectify this? lol
okay, _you_ don't run wpa_supplicant, it is a program that gets called by another program...wpa_supplicant has a configuration file called /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf...into which you would copy the results of doing
foo@foo$wpa_passphrase <your ESSID> <your_clever_encryption_keywords>

but only if you were configuring your wifi manually

since you're using wicd, you don't need to do that...in order to attach to a WPA/WPA2 encrypted wireless network, you need to know the encryption key for that network and enter it in the appropriate field when you click the <properties> button on the wicd gui...ergo...if you don't have the key, it must not be your door

I think you're mistaking wpa_supplicant for some other kind of program

Last edited by the_penguinator; 02-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #44
R Tanner
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
ahh..that makes sense...hence why it's called a daemon program. So my question is do I have to use the wicd gui? I would prefer to do everything from a command prompt. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect to even an open network through a command prompt though. I mean I can always set the essid for the wlan0 but that doesn't connect me.

So I guess now that I think about it, I'm not sure I really understand exactly what you mean when you say I'm not supposed to run wpa_supplicant directly. Looking at the man page it looks like thats what I'm supposed to be able to do. Or is the wicd program calling wpa_supplicant, thereby causing problems when i try to call it?
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #45
the_penguinator
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: slackware -current, OpenBSD, OSX
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Tanner View Post
ahh..that makes sense...hence why it's called a daemon program. So my question is do I have to use the wicd gui? I would prefer to do everything from a command prompt. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect to even an open network through a command prompt though. I mean I can always set the essid for the wlan0 but that doesn't connect me.

So I guess now that I think about it, I'm not sure I really understand exactly what you mean when you say I'm not supposed to run wpa_supplicant directly. Looking at the man page it looks like thats what I'm supposed to be able to do. Or is the wicd program calling wpa_supplicant, thereby causing problems when i try to call it?
in order of your asking, no you don't have to use wicd, but if you're just learning about wifi configuration it makes life simpler...if you want to learn to configure manually, stick with one network -preferably yours- and learn how to do that first...obviously everything can be done from the cli but it sounds like you're trying to access different wifi networks and that sounds like it's a bit beyond your level of knowledge at this point...

you're right, you as a user don't run wpa_supplicant, wicd is running the scripts for you and you're doing nothing but creating error messages when you try to run it manually...
 
  


Reply

Tags
broadcom, slackware, wireless


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some help configuring rodneybeighle Linux - Networking 1 09-08-2005 04:42 PM
configuring Keeble Linux - Newbie 3 02-08-2004 05:17 PM
Configuring X egh128 Slackware 5 08-31-2003 07:54 AM
Not configuring Culbert Linux - Software 3 08-24-2003 11:37 AM
Configuring X Solidus Slackware 8 05-03-2002 07:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration