LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2006, 03:42 AM   #16
edgjerp
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Distribution: kubuntu 10.04
Posts: 308

Rep: Reputation: 31

I have an ACER 3004wlmi with fc5, and almost everything works, except battery control. after upgrading the kernel a few times, I got rid of the acpi error messages in system log every 30 seconds, but acpi reports battery not present. (running on battery, kde power monitor reports "no powersource found")
 
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #17
saad3000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
ACPI and Vga on TM

Helo I have an ACER TRAVEL MATER 4022 NWLMi, and the kernel doesn't boot unless I put acpi=off in the GRUB kernel line. Any IDEAS please? + Display adapter is Intel 915 GM and on linux detects it as i810 with 1024*768 resolution.. Ideas please ?
The ACPI is solved by upgrading to Kernel 2.6.17-2. I still don't know about the i915 display.

Last edited by saad3000; 09-30-2006 at 06:01 AM.
 
Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #18
jimaman
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: SuSE
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
I had 12 Acer Travelmate 2420's for a mobile lab and returned them all -- in fact, was ready to dump them on the loading dock! -- because various Linux wouldn't correctly handle the graphics. The decision to return was made when no one in the linuxquestions.org community offered a solution, the vendor had no clue, and Acer's tech support just blew us off.

We replaced the units with HP nx7400's. Other than having to install SuSE 10 with "Safe Settings," there are no problems. These units run VMware with Win2K Pro and WinXP Pro as guests so my security classes can have self-contained "sandboxes."

There is a problem with the Acer Aspire 3000. The SiS900 NIC doesn't see the Internet. Posts at linuxquestions.org suggest this is an acpi problem. (I'm re-installing with acpi off to see if that solves the problem.) However, with RH 8, which a class has used for the past three months, these machines installed and performed flawlessly.
 
Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
reddazz
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 73
Quote:
I had 12 Acer Travelmate 2420's for a mobile lab and returned them all -- in fact, was ready to dump them on the loading dock! -- because various Linux wouldn't correctly handle the graphics. The decision to return was made when no one in the linuxquestions.org community offered a solution, the vendor had no clue, and Acer's tech support just blew us off.
Thats a bit of a suprise. The 24xx series uses intel graphics cards which seem to work out of the box on most Linux distros. I have used Fedora Core, Mandriva, Suse and ran Ubuntu live cd on my Acer 24xx laptop and never had any issues with the intel graphics chip.
 
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #20
miladmovie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
hello
I have TravelMate 2428 and ubuntu Dapper Drake
all thing is good But
Modem AC97 Dont work any body have this problem
I read posts and said didnt check modem !!
 
Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #21
jimaman
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: SuSE
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
My lab manager found the answer with the Acer Aspire laptops. Installing with "Safe Settings" did the trick. That was with SuSE 10.0.

I just installed Opensuse 10.2 on one of these units. As posted elsewhere at LinuxQuestions, it went off without a hitch. The only aftershock was finding that the video card wouldn't support 3D acceleration, thus losing the "windows cube" XGL capability. I'd like to find the program which provided the previous multiple-windows-in-the-taskbar capability!

So, Reddazz, you were correct. We just had to find the right combination :-)
 
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 AM   #22
wabbalee
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: brisbane - australia
Distribution: mepis, ubuntu, zenwalk
Posts: 334

Rep: Reputation: 38
I have a travelMate 2480, quiet happy with it with the exception of the following:

-haven't been able to get wireless working (like many others)
-when a headphone is plugged in there is still sound coming out of the inbuilt speakers aswell as the headphone
-similar problem with external mic, both stay on

i am sure the wireless is my lack of knowledge or understanding when it is explained to me, the sound problems i am not so sure if this can be fixed.
 
Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
jimaman
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: SuSE
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Although I use FOSS products as a rule, I did break down and purchase the Linuxant DriverLoader for my Dell laptop. At under $20, it's one of the best investments I've ever made. Solved the problem of wireless connection cleanly. Their support is always fast in response and very helpful and friendly. BTW, I did get ndiswrapper working, too, but returned to DriverLoader for the support and because I had spent the $20 on it.
 
Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #24
RadonPL
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Distribution: openSUSE 11.0, Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 37

Rep: Reputation: 15
I am very satisfied with my Acer 5104 on openSuSE 10.2.

What works:
CPU- KPowersave frequency policies (Performance, Dynamic, Powersave).
- Temperature monitoring and remaining battery capacity under KDE System Guard.

GPU- Radeon Xpress 1100 drivers worked fine under SuSE 10.1, not working in 10.2 due to the latest Xorg 7.2 version and sax2 problems. Will wait till drivers are released this month to pass a verdict.

Wifi- Atheros AR5005G 802.a/b/g card works fine with the madwifi driver.

Bluetooth- Works great, connects to my Samsung x820 mobile phone and Palm Zire72 using KBluetoothD without a fuss.

Other motherboard components- all work fine, no drivers needed.

Function key on the keyboard works with other combinations; volume, brightness, mute, lock, hibernate, play, pause, stop, rewind.

DVD Burner- Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K16RS works fine with K3B, burns Dual-layer DVD's.

HDD- replaced 4200 RPM Hitachi HDD with HM100JC 5400 RPM FDB Samsung HDD, ATA-100 with UDMA 5.


What doesn't work:
5-in-1 flash reader- ENE Technology Inc. proprietary hardware. Doesn't work with other laptop brands like Toshiba and ASUS as well.

Euro and Dollar sign on the keyboard next to the cursors.
 
Old 01-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #25
shorty943
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Tailem Bend. South Australia
Distribution: Mandriva 2006
Posts: 124

Rep: Reputation: 15
mine is an Aspire 3000. Runs the server version of Mandriva 2006, like a gem. Everything beautiful. Why as a server? The same reason New Zealander, Sir Edmund Hillary climbed to the top of Mt Everest. Just to see if it could be done. I now have a fully portable server. Is that Geeky or what?

Shorty943.

registered Linux user 437639
registered Linux machine 77042
 
Old 01-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #26
RadonPL
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Distribution: openSUSE 11.0, Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 37

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadonPL
GPU- Radeon Xpress 1100 drivers worked fine under SuSE 10.1, not working in 10.2 due to the latest Xorg 7.2 version and sax2 problems. Will wait till drivers are released this month to pass a verdict.
The latest 8.33.6 driver has fixed this issue. Too bad I had to wait 3 months till they released a driver that worked with Xorg 7.2.

I won't be buying an ATI graphics card in the future!
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #27
perry
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: USA & Canada
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 978

Rep: Reputation: 30
ahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadonPL
I am very satisfied with my Acer 5104 on openSuSE 10.2.

What works:
CPU- KPowersave frequency policies (Performance, Dynamic, Powersave).
- Temperature monitoring and remaining battery capacity under KDE System Guard.

GPU- Radeon Xpress 1100 drivers worked fine under SuSE 10.1, not working in 10.2 due to the latest Xorg 7.2 version and sax2 problems. Will wait till drivers are released this month to pass a verdict.

Wifi- Atheros AR5005G 802.a/b/g card works fine with the madwifi driver.

Bluetooth- Works great, connects to my Samsung x820 mobile phone and Palm Zire72 using KBluetoothD without a fuss.

Other motherboard components- all work fine, no drivers needed.

Function key on the keyboard works with other combinations; volume, brightness, mute, lock, hibernate, play, pause, stop, rewind.

DVD Burner- Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K16RS works fine with K3B, burns Dual-layer DVD's.

HDD- replaced 4200 RPM Hitachi HDD with HM100JC 5400 RPM FDB Samsung HDD, ATA-100 with UDMA 5.


What doesn't work:
5-in-1 flash reader- ENE Technology Inc. proprietary hardware. Doesn't work with other laptop brands like Toshiba and ASUS as well.

Euro and Dollar sign on the keyboard next to the cursors.
where did you find the drivers for the Xpress Radeon 1100, did you use the same one for the X300

- perry

ps.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
 
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
ScaredyCat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
I have an Acer 3692wmli, running Suse 10.2 Everything works except:

the card reader
the modem (might not work either but I don;t really care :P )
the camera (I did find a driver that 'might' work but it just screwed the USB subsystem and didn't actually help with the camera.

Quote:
card reader:

06:04.1 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller (rev 01)
06:04.2 Generic system peripheral [Class 0805]: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Secure Digital Card Reader Controller (rev 01)
06:04.3 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc: (rev 01)
06:04.4 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc Unknown device 0551 (rev 01)
Quote:
the camera

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0402:5602 ALi Corp.
bcdUSB 2.00
idVendor 0x0402 ALi Corp.
iProduct 1 USB2.0 Camera


I did need to do a couple of tweaks to get the multimedia buttons and mail led to work.

acerhk sorts out the keys, but you need to modprobe with

Quote:
modprobe acerhk force_series=6000
acerhk does not control the mail led, you'll need acertm to get that to work. I suppose I could merge the two but I'm a lazy git

oh, and Beryl runs very well on this lappy too
 
Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #29
ScaredyCat
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredyCat
acerhk does not control the mail led, you'll need acertm to get that to work. I suppose I could merge the two but I'm a lazy git
Ok, so I'm not as lazy as I thought - if anyone is interested I've added force support for the 3690 series..

The tarball can be found on my site if you want it (under Tweaks Required).

Last edited by ScaredyCat; 02-14-2007 at 07:14 AM.
 
Old 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #30
RadonPL
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Distribution: openSUSE 11.0, Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 37

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry
where did you find the drivers for the Xpress Radeon 1100, did you use the same one for the X300
- perry
AFAIK, AMD packed all drivers into one 56MB package, which can be downloaded from here.

In SuSE, installation is a breeze:
Code:
init3
su
sh ati-driver-...  {press TAB to complete the package name}  --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE102-IA32 
rpm -ihv fglrx
sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx
reboot
 
  


Reply

Tags
acer, buttons, multimedia


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acer Laptop compatibility roopunix Linux - Networking 1 01-22-2006 09:53 AM
Help. Linux compatibility... sturla Linux - Hardware 2 04-23-2005 06:50 AM
Linux Compatibility? jckings Linux - Hardware 1 06-03-2004 04:35 AM
Linux Compatibility with ACER ASPIRE 1403LC lyllo Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-07-2003 12:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration