LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite OS ?
Linux 33 86.84%
Microsoft Windows 2 5.26%
Mac OS X 4 10.53%
Other (please specify) 8 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
There is NO OS called "Microsoft Windows "
-- there is 98, ME,XP,vista,7 ---

There is NO OS called "Mac OS X"
I disagree.

"Linux" is a kernel, and you can create different OSes around it, and that's what Linux distros are.

But Windows and Mac OS X are full OSes, not kernels. They are like Linux distros, not like the Linux kernel.

And finally, where did the user you were replying to ("-demo-", I assume) say that he thought that there was one "Linux" and didn't know about the difference of Linux and Linux distros?

Last edited by MTK358; 07-15-2011 at 03:50 PM.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 396
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Bit unfair poll since Linux and BSD is cost free and Windows and Mac is something to pay for(we all know people hate Win and Mac because of that not because they are badly wrongly made)..anyway my favourite OS is one that just works when needed.
Cost has nothing to do with it. You could say "What is your favorite mode of transportation?" and then say if someone chose "walking" that it would be because it is free, whereas it costs money to drive.

Windows was "free" to me- it came on my computer (Wasn't aware of the Windows buy-back then)...yet I choose not to use it, because Linux works better; allows me to do more; and doesn't drive me nuts and waste my time.

There may be no perfect OS...but Linux is as close as we have to that!
I used Windows for 10 years....it was driving me crazy and requires ever newer hardware just to do half of what it did 10 years ago. The EULA is ludicrous and I hated booting up my computer and hearing the fan screaming and the hard disk moaning and straining while Windows loaded it's gigabytes of bloat.

Switched to linux 1 year ago, and never looked back. Now I'm Linux-only.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
-demo-
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: $RANDOM
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
none of those are "operating systems "
they are platforms

There is NO OS called "linux"
-- there is RHEL,SELS ,Ubuntu, fedora ...--

There is NO OS called "Microsoft Windows "
-- there is 98, ME,XP,vista,7 ---

There is NO OS called "Mac OS X"
Actually I disagree because x86, ARM, SPARC, ALPHA are platforms.
Microsoft Windows is a line of Operating Systems. The reason behind this is Win32/64 API has been the same since NT came out. The binary formats, software IRQs, etc have been the same forever.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
One other thing I thought about is that it depends on how you define an OS. It can be anything from a kernel, userspace, and applications (such as a Linux distro), or just a kernel (which can do stuff on its own without userspace processes).
 
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #20
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,091

Rep: Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369
linux
windows 3.1 (nostalgia)
mac os 6.x,7.x,8.x,9.x
mac os x
ms-dos
 
Old 07-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,141
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406
Hi,

Semantics??
 
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
odiseo77
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Debian Sid, OpenSUSE 13.1
Posts: 969

Rep: Reputation: 294Reputation: 294Reputation: 294
Windows 98
 
Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #23
rob.rice
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Distribution: slack what ever
Posts: 784

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
a better question would be "what is your second favorite O/S "
mine would be DOS 6
even with a GUI I spend a lot of time on the terminal (most of it as root)
so much so that more often than not I'm booting to run level 3 and using startx&
 
Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #24
rob.rice
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Distribution: slack what ever
Posts: 784

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by -demo- View Post
Actually I disagree because x86, ARM, SPARC, ALPHA are platforms.
Microsoft Windows is a line of Operating Systems. The reason behind this is Win32/64 API has been the same since NT came out. The binary formats, software IRQs, etc have been the same forever.
the INT 21 API gateway from DOS is still there and still 16bit
 
Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #25
jefro
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,380

Rep: Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395Reputation: 1395
BeOS is my favorite OS.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #26
FredGSanford
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Mageia Cauldron & Salix 14
Posts: 943
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 88
Linux
MacOS
Windows

That's my ruling...
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #27
-demo-
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: $RANDOM
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.rice View Post
the INT 21 API gateway from DOS is still there and still 16bit
An INT and API are not the same... Application Program Interface has nothing to do with an INT (which is just a set of functions designed to be called via soft interrupt. It's not really a gateway... A20 is a gate... INT21 is a set of functions that may be called when AX,EAX or RAX as different values in it (usually low bit, as in ah, al) (I do code in assembly language)

API's have nothing to do with the instruction set, while INT's do.
Software interrupts are implemented as instructions in the instruction set, which cause a context switch to an interrupt handler similar to a hardware interrupt. This has nothing to do with API's at all!
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #28
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.rice View Post
the INT 21 API gateway from DOS is still there and still 16bit
"Where" is it exactly? Userspace programs can't call interrupts, NTVDM emulates them. For most practical purposes int21 doesn't exist since win2k.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #29
b0uncer
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: CentOS, OS X
Posts: 5,131

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Bit unfair poll since Linux and BSD is cost free and Windows and Mac is something to pay for(we all know people hate Win and Mac because of that not because they are badly wrongly made)..anyway my favourite OS is one that just works when needed.
There's nothing "unfair" in that; the question, as I understand it, is simply about which one of them you like the most, not whether or not you can afford to use or even buy one. A person might think a skyscraper penthouse was "the best home", even if that person couldn't reasonably afford one

Because the "OS" was not restricted to any PC operating system, then I assume it can mean any system that sits between me and hardware and allows me to operate the device. Based on this assumption, the "other" I vote for would be my calculator "OS" which never glitches on me, doesn't require security updates, boots very quickly and can do some very basic numerical integration Next would come the two obvious ones.

Last edited by b0uncer; 07-18-2011 at 04:00 AM.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #30
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 501
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question

why is "Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No" not visible in this thread ?
 
  


Reply

Tags
linux, mac, operating system, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration