LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite OS ?
Linux 33 86.84%
Microsoft Windows 2 5.26%
Mac OS X 4 10.53%
Other (please specify) 8 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #31
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,579
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
why is "Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No" not visible in this thread ?
Because this thread is in a general forum, you will not find that here.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #32
-demo-
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: $RANDOM
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
"Where" is it exactly? Userspace programs can't call interrupts, NTVDM emulates them. For most practical purposes int21 doesn't exist since win2k.
The older versions of NT didn't give driect access to the hardware either.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #33
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 501
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Because this thread is in a general forum, you will not find that here.
yeah...i recall that now...
in general forum,post are not counted and reputations are disabled.
thanks !
 
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #34
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
Cost has nothing to do with it. You could say "What is your favorite mode of transportation?" and then say if someone chose "walking" that it would be because it is free, whereas it costs money to drive.{...}
Oh yes it does when it comes to hate not choice..you can choose whatever you want but face fact - if Windows had free version or wasn't popular(second reason why it is hated) plenty of Linux hardcore fans would use it at least in dual-boot mode. Wrong example too. Speaking about walking and driving you forget some important details:
- Walking on foot and driving car has same goal - get from point A to point B and yes having car is better suited for this task if road is long and it gives comfort(just sit and enjoy music). Walking is better in park or when need breathe fresh air or similar tasks but for long journey or fast travel? Not in this life..
- If you don't have car you don't have it and can't have it + if you decide to steal you be very fast catched but when you speak about OS you already have hardware for it so you don't need steal it and when you decide about software again it is easy to get one and use from internet.
Conclusion: Stop comparing different things since they don't share properties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0uncer View Post
There's nothing "unfair" in that; the question, as I understand it, is simply about which one of them you like the most, not whether or not you can afford to use or even buy one. A person might think a skyscraper penthouse was "the best home", even if that person couldn't reasonably afford one {...}
Again..if you live in enough good house and surroundings it may be true but try asking this to bum or poor people or people with specific taste..i think answer is obvious..some stuff that costs actually is better in task when compared to same stuff for less money.
Conclusion: Don't say "Piece of cake!" before jump from one edge to other where big fall is between them.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #35
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Windows does have a free version doesn't it? I've always been able to find one. Even given that and the fact that windows came bundled with my laptop, I still don't use it anymore.

Linux is best IMO


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Oh yes it does when it comes to hate not choice..you can choose whatever you want but face fact - if Windows had free version or wasn't popular(second reason why it is hated) plenty of Linux hardcore fans would use it at least in dual-boot mode. Wrong example too. Speaking about walking and driving you forget some important details:
- Walking on foot and driving car has same goal - get from point A to point B and yes having car is better suited for this task if road is long and it gives comfort(just sit and enjoy music). Walking is better in park or when need breathe fresh air or similar tasks but for long journey or fast travel? Not in this life..
- If you don't have car you don't have it and can't have it + if you decide to steal you be very fast catched but when you speak about OS you already have hardware for it so you don't need steal it and when you decide about software again it is easy to get one and use from internet.
Conclusion: Stop comparing different things since they don't share properties.
Again..if you live in enough good house and surroundings it may be true but try asking this to bum or poor people or people with specific taste..i think answer is obvious..some stuff that costs actually is better in task when compared to same stuff for less money.
Conclusion: Don't say "Piece of cake!" before jump from one edge to other where big fall is between them.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #36
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105 View Post
Windows does have a free version doesn't it? I've always been able to find one.
You're joking, right?
 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #37
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
You're joking, right?
Of course that was a joke. I would never encourage anyone to avoid any of the licensing mechanisms that MS employs because that would be against the rules and very naughty.

I would always recommend the dumping of windows and the use of Linux.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #38
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,579
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105 View Post
Windows does have a free version doesn't it?
If you get it with your prebuild one, no, you have paid for it.
If you have pirated it, no, it costs your conscience.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #39
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 396
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 92
They could PAY me, and I still wouldn't use Win-D'ohs!
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #40
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105
Windows does have a free version doesn't it?
You might say thatů

In all seriousness, though, it's nowhere near a drop-in replacement.
 
Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #41
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,095

Rep: Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV
none of those are "operating systems "
they are platforms

There is NO OS called "linux"
-- there is RHEL,SELS ,Ubuntu, fedora ...--

There is NO OS called "Microsoft Windows "
-- there is 98, ME,XP,vista,7 ---

There is NO OS called "Mac OS X"
Quote:
Originally Posted by -demo- View Post
Actually I disagree because x86, ARM, SPARC, ALPHA are platforms.
Microsoft Windows is a line of Operating Systems. The reason behind this is Win32/64 API has been the same since NT came out. The binary formats, software IRQs, etc have been the same forever.
actually i think you're both wrong
x86, arm, sparc, alpha etc... are ARCHITECTURES
windows, mac os, palm os, etc.. are operating systems
platform if memory serves me is a combination of operating system and architecture such as win32, linux x86_64, 32 bit solaris etc, windows xp arm etc...

and yes there IS an operating system called mac os x
 
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #42
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieza View Post
actually i think you're both wrong
...
linux x86_64,
Linux is a kernel. OS is GNU/Linux. There's android/Linux, for example - Linux kernel, non-GNU internals, so John VV has a point.
 
  


Reply

Tags
linux, mac, operating system, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration