LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #856
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22

I have to admit I do love windows ...The wildlife around here is great,deer walking across my front lawn,rabbits hopping along, and the birds singing from the tree in front of my home. Oh sh*t you were talking about that damn virus again weren't you??
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #857
RedNeck-LQ
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCode View Post
Umm, it's BSD...it's even more geek-centric than Linux.

(No offense intended to blahblalblah, BTW)
None taken.

Yes...when using BSDs there is more work involved than linux. But I don't mind, that's how you learn the guts of the system. People who use distros like LFS, Gentoo, Arch, slackware and even crux linux will know what I mean.
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #858
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Yes...when using BSDs there is more work involved than linux. [...] People who use distros like LFS, Gentoo, Arch, slackware and even crux linux will know what I mean.
<- Notice icon.

I once tried FreeBSD on one of my machines, but I couldn't get it online; it would talk to my main desktop, and I could even ssh back and forth, but I couldn't reach the internet from it. I kinda gave up; now it's got Haiku on it (the FOSS BeOS clone), just because I can.
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #859
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck-LQ View Post
None taken.

Yes...when using BSDs there is more work involved than linux. But I don't mind, that's how you learn the guts of the system. People who use distros like LFS, Gentoo, Arch, slackware and even crux linux will know what I mean.
Gentoo user here. I agree. I used Mandrake for about 6 months. The only thing I learned was how much better Linux was than windows. When I installed Gentoo, I learned a lot about Linux.

People may hate the install process that Gentoo has but I think it prepares a user for what comes next, running Linux.

 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #860
RedNeck-LQ
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyus_06 View Post
errrm...

yeah.. tell that to a new user and you'll freak 'im out haha
Maybe...

I believe the term new user is a bit of a stereo type. We don't know how tech savvy the new user is.

Of course, if the person is new to an OS, they might be slow at first but soon they'll come up to speed the more time they spend on it. This applies to all operating systems.

Last edited by RedNeck-LQ; 03-09-2011 at 01:49 AM.
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #861
RedNeck-LQ
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCode View Post
<- Notice icon.
Yes, I noticed. Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
When I installed Gentoo, I learned a lot about Linux.
Exactly...

Last edited by RedNeck-LQ; 03-09-2011 at 01:43 AM.
 
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #862
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck-LQ View Post
Maybe...

I believe the term new user is a bit of a stereo type. We don't know how tech savvy the new user is.

Of course, if the person is new to an OS, they might be slow at first but soon they'll come up to speed the more time they spend on it. This applies to all operating systems.
weell yeah.. most of the people have a life.. so they can't read the manuals , it just has to be easy.

i don't know many people who would tinker a problem rather than call tech support..
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #863
blahblalblah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyus_06 View Post
weell yeah.. most of the people have a life.. so they can't read the manuals , it just has to be easy.

i don't know many people who would tinker a problem rather than call tech support..
Well, I do have a life - a busy life. All reading and tinkering is done on spare time.

I have nothing against people using windows or any OS. Every OS has their niche and audience.

Last edited by blahblalblah; 03-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.
 
Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #864
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,517
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyus_06 View Post
weell yeah.. most of the people have a life.. so they can't read the manuals , it just has to be easy.

i don't know many people who would tinker a problem rather than call tech support..
Just have a look how many manuals there are out there for Windows and Windows apps. I would think that many of them are bestsellers.
 
Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #865
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
windows has a nice GUI. people don't *need* to read the manuals, though they *exist*

it makes a person feeel safer with a manual, but who would rather prefer nt to read it.

just take a look at threads in mewbie forum
 
Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #866
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Using FUD
Reminds me of this article.
My point was that high uptime is not a thing to boast about - you can miss a critical kernel update.
It doesn't matter how quickly it was fixed, if the server's been running for a year (kernel rebuild required a reboot last time I checked).

In my opinion, in discussions as such people have a very "flexible" opinion - they twist the facts to make their opinion look "right". If it happens on windows, it is "bad". If it happens on linux it is "good". Also, I find it that linux users are also prone to spreading the "FUD", but they refuse to acknowledge it (of course). If windows requires reboots, that's bad. However, the fact that linux kernel requires reboots, that ubuntu reboots VERY frequently, isn't mentioned for some reason. Honestly, I hate that. People on "both sides" are always trying to twist the fact to support their own opinion, no matter what - instead of looking for common grounds, improving something, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
(again, a bad idea)
I disagree, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
Additionally, because the software is distributed with the option of just getting the source, I can potentially disable anything I don't want/need on my system.
... but it is a matter of taste. Judging from your replies I'd assume that you're working on some kind of server software (that is distributed along with source code). My job is mostly gamedev-related, so our priorities doesn't match (obviously). I *want*(/need) an inflexible configuration with predetermined capabilities, fixed api, that allows a proprietary distribution without a source code. I want a total control over the code base. You want a flexible code that will install everywhere. Different goals => different requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
I'm not going to say that automatic determination of binary dependencies is impossible, but let me give you an example for you to ponder:
I meant to say that database used by package manager should be build automatically, without human intervention, when it is possible (example behavior for the robot: try automatic guessing of dependencies, if impossible, bail and call developer). I'm a bit of idealist, and I think that when things can be automated, they should be, because human time is more expensive than electricity. (The rest is IMO) If package management requires a database build by unpaid volunteers, the system is "wrong", even if people enjoy what they're doing. Even if database is maintained by paid employees, such system is still wrong, because it is imperfect and wastes human time. The most important thing I really disliked about slackware was the fact that distribution have been built from source MANUALLY (no "compile everything" build script) every time during last 10 years. I will not support system with such philosophy, because it doesn't match my "moral" values about software development. IMO, machine is meant to take part of human work away, not introduce more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
You and I have two libraries, "libMYLIB.so" and "libYOURLIB.so", sitting in our own /lib/ folders.
You misunderstood me.
I meant to say that correct dependencies (for the database) should/could have been guessed using library filename, library version, and function fingerpring (number/type of arguments should be sufficient, and with C++ names you already have name mangling for that). If automated determination fails, it calls to a human. The program that installs packages doesn't do guessing - it is the job of the tool that builds dependency graph for application database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
I can audit my code to make sure you haven't slipped "void send_all_data_to_china()" into it somewhere.
Binary audition is also possible, you know. Some people claim that with certain amount of practice and the right tool, reading disassembly isn't really different from reading source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
Plus, as I've said before, NONE of the issues you raised are real issues. ...
I disagree about this part, but you might be right about one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
As far as the commercial world goes, that is a completely different beast. They're going to develop for whatever the most popular platform is, regardless what kind of APIs you give. You could have the best platform in the world in terms of developer friendliness, and it doesn't mean a thing - because 90% of the population is using something else. Business exists to make money, and unless you present a compelling case why a business makes money moving to linux, it won't happen.
I completely forgot that a commercial entity will always have a "hire army of monkeys" option, and they will be more likely to use it instead of "research a new technology". No matter how horrible platform is, they will develop for it if there is sufficient demand. Which is a pity - it means that I won't see a perfect system I'd like neither on Linux nor on Windows platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Just have a look how many manuals there are out there for Windows and Windows apps.
There are also books like "Farmville for dummies". I don't think that existence of a manual means much.
 
Old 03-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #867
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,517
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018Reputation: 4018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
There are also books like "Farmville for dummies". I don't think that existence of a manual means much.
If a book is published the publisher thinks that there is a market for that book (he doesn't always have to be right). If there are many manuals out there simply means that there is a need for manuals, even on Windows.
 
Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #868
RedNeck-LQ
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 11
I agree. Also, there are more books on the subject on MS windows and its apps than linux.

I've purchased my fair share of windows,linux and freebsd books online and offline. I love to read

Last edited by RedNeck-LQ; 03-10-2011 at 04:49 PM.
 
Old 03-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #869
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22
@sigterm; It sounds to me that you would much rather use Windoze, so fine go back to steve and the other idiots that feel you should be paying for the privilege of using (correction RENTING) their operating system...There are a lot of people who are very happy to be free of the constant barrage of viral threats,defragging, registry cleaning etc. I have run computers with XP,vistuh,win 7 as well as more than a few Linux based OSs. I'll be damned if I can justify paying M$ the money they demand for such a bug infested POS system. But then that is my opinion take it or leave it but don't tell me M$ is ANY good.

Last edited by tiredofbilkyyaforallican; 03-10-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: grammar
 
Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 AM   #870
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofbilkyyaforallican View Post
so fine go back to steve and the other idiots that feel you should be paying for the privilege of using (correction RENTING) their operating system...
I think that if a company spent 25 years developing an OS, charging for OS is the right thing to do. Also, telling other people what to do can be hazardous to your health, plus when you start calling people names, somebody will find it offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofbilkyyaforallican View Post
constant barrage of viral threats,defragging, registry cleaning etc.
This is FUD/lie.
There is no constant barrage of viral threats, no constant registry cleaning, and nobody needs defragging on modern hardware - you'll waste your time and get no performance increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofbilkyyaforallican View Post
but don't tell me M$ is ANY good.
Microsoft IS "any good", so you'll have to deal with it. Aside from operating system of tolerable quality, microsoft has developed at least two really good software products, one of them is a Visual Studio (the only IDE that managed to become better than Delphi), to which there is still no replacement of comparable quality (I checked every available IDE when I've been looking for Linux alternative, so don't get me started on this one).
 
  


Reply

Tags
64bit, cloud, linux, microsoft, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Tutorial: Four Easy Fun Useful Things You Can Do With Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-30-2008 11:41 PM
LXer: KDE 4: The Shiny New Linux (and Windows) Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-17-2007 06:10 PM
media server or other fun things. doralsoral Linux - Software 1 11-05-2005 07:55 AM
most fun & excited things about Linux woranl Linux - General 2 07-27-2004 08:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration