LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #3901
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,878
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
My father's from a place like that, in the far west. Not as cold but every bit as desolate. It's funny though; when you're there it's the cities and towns that feel isolated.
Smaller places can definitely have a larger sense of community. London can be a very lonely city. I would absolutely love to live somewhere like that, one of my life's ambitions is to at least visit Greenland but it's so expensive to do so.
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #3902
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,620

Rep: Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
Smaller places can definitely have a larger sense of community. London can be a very lonely city. I would absolutely love to live somewhere like that, one of my life's ambitions is to at least visit Greenland but it's so expensive to do so.
I'm in two minds. Those places have their quirks and petty jealousies, as do all places where human beings congregate. I still live in and love rural Ireland, and I couldn't go back to the city, but places quite as desolate as those? Not 365 days a year.
 
Old 10-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #3903
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,458

Rep: Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
I'm in two minds. Those places have their quirks and petty jealousies, as do all places where human beings congregate. I still live in and love rural Ireland, and I couldn't go back to the city, but places quite as desolate as those? Not 365 days a year.
[OT, but relevant to screen shots] I love rural and isolated. Can live in cities and have but prefer rural. Cities are nice but not natural, similar to laminate or quartz being nice but not natural and missing the energy of real wood or granite, stone etc... One thing is certain regarding the people in "those houses", they're survivors. How many people living in modern cities could survive more than a week if they had no modern technology or electricity etc...? Tremendous respect for those who can live well on less.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #3904
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,458

Rep: Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
It's amazing what a camera can do from a moving vehicle. This was taken in the Norwegian mountains yesterday.
Fantastic picture, how fast were you/vehicle traveling and what specs were used/set on the camera?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #3905
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,620

Rep: Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
[OT, but relevant to screen shots] I love rural and isolated. Can live in cities and have but prefer rural. Cities are nice but not natural, similar to laminate or quartz being nice but not natural and missing the energy of real wood or granite, stone etc... One thing is certain regarding the people in "those houses", they're survivors. How many people living in modern cities could survive more than a week if they had no modern technology or electricity etc...? Tremendous respect for those who can live well on less.
When I was a child my great-grandfather used to take me out fishing in a currach off Erris Head, which is pretty much last stop before America. He was born in the 1870s. Fish, spuds and a glass of Guinness; that's what they lived on. And there was no such thing as walking past someone's door; you had to drop in and relate all the stories of the day. Even if that was 1 o'clock in the morning.

Erris Head on a calm day :

Click image for larger version

Name:	erris-head-1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	31470

And near the lighthouse, when it's a bit breezy :

Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle-island-lighthouse.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	31471
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #3906
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,878
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
Fantastic picture, how fast were you/vehicle traveling and what specs were used/set on the camera?
LQ tends to reduce the quality, so the actual shot is better than what you see there. It's hard to say what speed we were travelling at but it couldn't have been that fast, maybe about 30-40mph. Shutter speed was 1/500th sec, and anything less would have incurred blurring. It's one of those pictures which didn't feel like it worked at the time, it's only when looking at them all afterwards that I noticed it came out better than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
Fish, spuds and a glass of Guinness; that's what they lived on.
Sounds great.

Last edited by Lysander666; 10-07-2019 at 05:38 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #3907
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,458

Rep: Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
When I was a child my great-grandfather used to take me out fishing in a currach off Erris Head, which is pretty much last stop before America. He was born in the 1870s. Fish, spuds and a glass of Guinness; that's what they lived on. And there was no such thing as walking past someone's door; you had to drop in and relate all the stories of the day. Even if that was 1 o'clock in the morning.

Erris Head on a calm day :

Attachment 31470

And near the lighthouse, when it's a bit breezy :

Attachment 31471
Fantastic. I remember hearing stories from my Grandfather and Great Aunt both were born in the 1880's in USA. My Great Aunt in particular loved to speak about life before cars, tv's and even radio. I asked her once, did she enjoy living in the "modern" era or back in the late 1800's, without hesitation she said "its been interesting seeing all the changes but I prefer back then when things were simpler and people were happier and healthier." They had an honest distrust of technology that many of us are losing. She also did not like politicians, lawyers or doctors and lived to be around 100.

PS: Great pictures!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:39 AM   #3908
solarfields
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,031

Rep: Reputation: 606Reputation: 606Reputation: 606Reputation: 606Reputation: 606Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
It's amazing what a camera can do from a moving vehicle. This was taken in the Norwegian mountains yesterday.
making a trip across Scandinavia?
 
Old 10-11-2019, 04:27 AM   #3909
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,878
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
making a trip across Scandinavia?
This was just a short trip around Hemsedal. Next time the plan is to go from Oslo to Bergen, which takes several hours but is apparently quite beautiful.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:55 AM   #3910
Bindestreck
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 590

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
This was just a short trip around Hemsedal. Next time the plan is to go from Oslo to Bergen, which takes several hours but is apparently quite beautiful.
Norway is indeed a very beautiful country. If you are in Bergen, don't forget to visit Preikestolen, it is a must!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #3911
thirdm
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 150

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Here's mine. If you know twm well you may notice something a little weird in the window decorations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop.png
Views:	111
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	31502  
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #3912
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,344
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Here's mine. If you know twm well you may notice something a little weird in the window decorations.
BeOS? Haiku? I mean windows decorations. What is this app running on top? Looks like kind of screen multiplexer. What is monitor resolution?
 
Old 10-12-2019, 07:02 AM   #3913
thirdm
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 150

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
BeOS? Haiku? I mean windows decorations. What is this app running on top? Looks like kind of screen multiplexer. What is monitor resolution?
By the application on top I think you mean the one with the beige background, not xwrits, the typing break reminder. That's a text editor developed by Rob Pike for the Plan 9 operating system. More about it here: http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/acme/
I use it on Slackware via plan9port, a port of plan9 software that runs on top of Unix systems.

Where you write "BeOS? Haiku? I mean windows decorations," I'm not sure I get your intent. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. I mean the buttons in the title bars. The twm man page calls them titlebuttons.

Screen resolution:

Quote:
screen #0:
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
resolution: 96x96 dots per inch

Last edited by thirdm; 10-12-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Forgot question about screen resolution.
 
Old 10-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #3914
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,344
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
By the application on top I think you mean the one with the beige background, not xwrits, the typing break reminder. That's a text editor developed by Rob Pike for the Plan 9 operating system. More about it here: http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/acme/
I use it on Slackware via plan9port, a port of plan9 software that runs on top of Unix systems.
I was for short time running Plan9. But I failed to install it next to my Slackware installation. But it was my first thought that it looks like something I know from Plan9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Where you write "BeOS? Haiku? I mean windows decorations," I'm not sure I get your intent.
Look at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BeOS_Desktop.png - the shape of title bars reminds those from BeOS.
 
Old 10-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #3915
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" & Xfce.
Posts: 4,908
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315Reputation: 2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindestreck View Post
Norway is indeed a very beautiful country. If you are in Bergen, don't forget to visit Preikestolen, it is a must!
Just found this image on the "front page" of this morning's Wall Street Journal.
https://www.wsj.com/
The story, https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-norwa...=hp_lista_pos1
The full story is behind a pay wall. Sorry. You might find the full version via another news source that links to the original.
The image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	norway-im-114990.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	31516  

Last edited by cwizardone; 10-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
background, cwm, dwm, framebuffer, gui, i3, ion3, kde, monitor, musca, screenshot, tmux, wallpaper, xfce4, xterm


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Desktop on Slackware? darkhatter Slackware 3 10-10-2006 12:26 PM
Slackware 10.0 with NO Desktop NiPP Linux - Newbie 2 01-02-2006 10:43 AM
3d desktop on Slackware k1ll3r_x Linux - Software 1 09-20-2005 10:47 PM
Desktop Slackware s0no Slackware 5 12-04-2004 11:20 AM
I can't get my desktop in Slackware 10 DraGoNsLaYeR Linux - Newbie 1 06-27-2004 02:00 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration