LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #16
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware has beern Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 1,498

Rep: Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastychomper View Post
I can see the point of an audio server, in fact I was glad when Pulse became widely supported, since it's nice to have the option of playing more than one stream at once with a single, cheap soundcard, and I found it easier to set up than esd. I'm finding it harder to think of an analogous advantage to a having a new video server - presumably it would do something beyond what X or Wayland do?
Some people prefer robust sound systems which don't require software to do the job hardware can handle in a superior fashion. Just FTR I never bought a Winmodem either.
 
Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 4,464
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936Reputation: 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
I can play more than one source of audio with just alsa, wasn't this what alsa was introduced to fix in the first place when oss still had issues with more than one source of audio?
Yes, alsa's dmix plugin has allowed this for many years, even on hardware that doesn't support hardware mixing.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #18
SCerovec
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cp6uja
Distribution: Slackware on x86 and arm
Posts: 1,159
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 166Reputation: 166
Shouldn't the video handling be the job of v4l and it's layers?
since "ice age"?
what happened with "do one job and do it well" *NIX credo?

Last edited by SCerovec; 09-15-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #19
bassmadrigal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Newport News, VA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,395

Rep: Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338Reputation: 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCerovec View Post
Shouldn't the video handling be the job of v4l and it's layers?
That's what people said of alsa and pulseaudio. Not to say one is better than the other (I don't know enough about them), but it's not surprising to see RedHat try and implement something to replace an already existing program. I'm sure they have their reasons, but it will be interesting to see if other adopt this like they have with some of the other projects from them.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #20
orbea
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 741

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The reason is that because if they make something crappy enough that is adopted on a wide enough scale their job security is ensured when someone has to fix it...
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #21
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware, Crux, NetBSD
Posts: 1,304

Rep: Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
The reason is that because if they make something crappy enough that is adopted on a wide enough scale their job security is ensured when someone has to fix it...
Indeed. Apparently 7.4 has a severe bug, which has resulted in "a growing number of RHEL 7.4 systems on the internet where the firewall is currently failing to load". But that's "enterprise" Linux for you -- it's pot luck what hare-brained idea they'll introduce next.

No sympathy for businesses and users who pay thousands in annual subscriptions for this lottery. (Only Scientific Linux had the decency to delay the release of 7.4 because of this bug.)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #22
ChuangTzu
Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix, FreeBSD, openSUSE, Debian
Posts: 452

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 316Reputation: 316Reputation: 316Reputation: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
Indeed. Apparently 7.4 has a severe bug, which has resulted in "a growing number of RHEL 7.4 systems on the internet where the firewall is currently failing to load". But that's "enterprise" Linux for you -- it's pot luck what hare-brained idea they'll introduce next.

No sympathy for businesses and users who pay thousands in annual subscriptions for this lottery. (Only Scientific Linux had the decency to delay the release of 7.4 because of this bug.)
Closed not a bug.
https://imgur.com/gallery/kaFzwUY
 
Old 09-16-2017, 04:20 AM   #23
chris.willing
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: Slackware,LFS
Posts: 400

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Have I understood correctly? The thread started with a title appearing to confirm any pulse-hater's superior knowledge & understanding by suggesting that no less a big/successful/wise distro than RH might be dumping it. As soon as they're found not to really be dumping it, RH are reclassified as incompetent and uncaring. Additionally they are rubbish due to a completely unrelated bug (which they're probably happy about because it keeps them employed).
 
Old 09-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #24
kikinovak
MLED Founder
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, FreeBSD
Posts: 3,362

Rep: Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Is RedHat moving away from PulseAudio? I do not think so, at least not in the near future.
Whenever you say "Red Hat" and "near future", don't forget that every single RHEL release is supported for ten years. BTW, I've come to like Pulseaudio, since it's nice to be able to define different output volumes for different sources.

Cheers,

Niki
 
Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #25
kikinovak
MLED Founder
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, FreeBSD
Posts: 3,362

Rep: Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907Reputation: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
Indeed. Apparently 7.4 has a severe bug, which has resulted in "a growing number of RHEL 7.4 systems on the internet where the firewall is currently failing to load". But that's "enterprise" Linux for you -- it's pot luck what hare-brained idea they'll introduce next.

No sympathy for businesses and users who pay thousands in annual subscriptions for this lottery. (Only Scientific Linux had the decency to delay the release of 7.4 because of this bug.)
Screenshot taken on a CentOS 7.4 server. I must be doing something wrong, because everything works perfectly.

Cheers,

Niki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall.png
Views:	47
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	25877  
 
Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #26
orbea
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 741

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.willing View Post
Have I understood correctly? The thread started with a title appearing to confirm any pulse-hater's superior knowledge & understanding by suggesting that no less a big/successful/wise distro than RH might be dumping it. As soon as they're found not to really be dumping it, RH are reclassified as incompetent and uncaring. Additionally they are rubbish due to a completely unrelated bug (which they're probably happy about because it keeps them employed).
1. I resent your attitude, it was not necessary.

2. Its not an uncommon phenomenon in software where some developers intentionally introduce imperfect or buggy code. If the code works perfectly then their employers will move on and they will no longer have stable employment, but if it doesn't work perfectly then their employment is ensured for a much longer amount of time where they will be required to fix it. This is by no means restricted to redhat developers nor do all redhat employed developers do this. There are also other reasons people cut corners in software such as time constraints and pressure from other departments like marketing. This example is not uncommon in video game development.

As for pipewire, this follows the classic: "If it works perfectly someone will reinvent it.". Conceptually it seems to be overreaching and all encompassing or in other words it will be likely buggy for many years to come like all other one size fits all software redhat has tried to peddle.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #27
rknichols
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 3,578

Rep: Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
Screenshot taken on a CentOS 7.4 server. I must be doing something wrong, because everything works perfectly.
As I recall, the bug was only triggered if you were using both iptables and ip6tables, with both manually configured.
 
Old 09-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #28
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2
Posts: 2,730

Rep: Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
Its not an uncommon phenomenon in software where some developers intentionally introduce imperfect or buggy code.
We tend to fire those people.
 
Old 09-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #29
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware, Crux, NetBSD
Posts: 1,304

Rep: Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
Screenshot taken on a CentOS 7.4 server. I must be doing something wrong, because everything works perfectly.
Read the bug report. Besides, if you SSH in using a root/password combination then yes, you are doing something wrong.

 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #30
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware has beern Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 1,498

Rep: Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.willing View Post
Have I understood correctly? The thread started with a title appearing to confirm any pulse-hater's superior knowledge & understanding by suggesting that no less a big/successful/wise distro than RH might be dumping it. As soon as they're found not to really be dumping it, RH are reclassified as incompetent and uncaring. Additionally they are rubbish due to a completely unrelated bug (which they're probably happy about because it keeps them employed).
While I, too, am a bit offended by the snarkiness above, it's OK by me since being offended is an important event that tends to trigger thought. I think your statement demonstrates a rather severe case of collectivism - trying to shove all instances into the same pigeonhole regardless of geometry (ie: square peg, round hole).

FWIW I have avoided pulse over several issues. I have a semi-pro sound card (ESi Juli@) and Alsa gives me simple, excellent control and also has complete support for Jack. I don't need the added complexity of pulse (designed with cheap, onboard chips in mind apparently) and as of yet the version of Jack that works with pulse still lacks a handful of features I want.... and then there is latency! a major problem for DAWs like mine. Admittedly I am also a tad gun shy after the systemd coup d'etat.... BUT I do not hate pulse. I am wary of butlers who tend to get underfoot more often than not. I'd rather fire them and have fewer obstacles to doing my job as I want it done..

In fact after removing it in favor of Alsa on this 14.2 Multilib box I found some apps would no longer work with Alsa alone as they once did, so I had to put pulse back. This is OK by me as I decided to not even attempt to make 14.2 work for DAW since I have a very refined DAW system on my 14.0 32 bit install, of course with Alsa only. However pulseaudion on 14.2 is OK minus this little inconvenience.

The point is that pulseaudio is not important enough to how I use my PC to bother to hate it. It's just an annoyance that I wish was not so Pacman-like, devouring everything in sight, or rather earshot

BTW if you don't have any concern that what was once a hobby OpSys with extreme flexibility and deep control for hackers (the real definition, not the media hype) has jealous corporate eyes hungering to take control and "manage" it "for you" now that it is a source of major bux, may I suggest you do a search on "ostrich".
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pulse counter or frequency of incoming pulse train jayhorizon Programming 15 10-29-2010 05:29 AM
Redhat Cluster is not moving on second node!! JATA01 Linux - Server 1 10-25-2010 08:55 AM
Help: Moving Redhat Drive to another PC ndary Linux - Newbie 3 08-07-2006 05:48 PM
Moving from RedHat 8.0 to 7.0 newbie42 Linux - Distributions 3 12-06-2002 03:59 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration