LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
tehfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Distribution: Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, Opensuse 10.2, CentOS 4.4
Posts: 31

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry Samba 3.0.10 and CentOS4.4 Service not Started


I have a very weird problem with samba. Windows is saying service is not started, but centos is saying samba is running:

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/smb status
smbd (pid 4087 4086) is running...
nmbd (pid 4091) is running...
[root@localhost ~]# ps -ef | grep smbd
root      4086     1  0 16:04 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
root      4087  4086  0 16:04 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
[root@localhost ~]# ps -ef | grep nmbd
root      4091     1  0 16:04 ?        00:00:00 nmbd -D
root      4843  4808  0 19:49 pts/0    00:00:00 grep nmbd
[root@localhost ~]#
While from windows xp when i double click a share folder, it says that i dont have the right permissions, or that the share doesnt exist. Also when double click the terminal, on the 'view workgroup computers' i get a similar error saying the service is not running.

Very weird. This started to happen after i was playing with vsftpd. I shut down samba for whatever reason i did, and then started it back up and was getting the above messages.

Is this problem because of samba or centos? I did add myself to smbpasswd, and the workgroup is correct. Everything was fine before i stopped and started the service.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
 
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
jakev383
QmailToaster Developer
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Burlington, NC
Distribution: CentOS, Voyage, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehfatal
I have a very weird problem with samba. Windows is saying service is not started, but centos is saying samba is running:

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/smb status
smbd (pid 4087 4086) is running...
nmbd (pid 4091) is running...
[root@localhost ~]# ps -ef | grep smbd
root      4086     1  0 16:04 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
root      4087  4086  0 16:04 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
[root@localhost ~]# ps -ef | grep nmbd
root      4091     1  0 16:04 ?        00:00:00 nmbd -D
root      4843  4808  0 19:49 pts/0    00:00:00 grep nmbd
[root@localhost ~]#
While from windows xp when i double click a share folder, it says that i dont have the right permissions, or that the share doesnt exist. Also when double click the terminal, on the 'view workgroup computers' i get a similar error saying the service is not running.

Very weird. This started to happen after i was playing with vsftpd. I shut down samba for whatever reason i did, and then started it back up and was getting the above messages.

Is this problem because of samba or centos? I did add myself to smbpasswd, and the workgroup is correct. Everything was fine before i stopped and started the service.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
Can we see the config file? I know I've made changes to a config file and forgotten to reload/restart, so when the machine rebooted weeks later it loaded the new changes to the config.... You may also want to check you firewall.
I had a similar issue with Samba under Ubuntu - it showed up, but gave similar errors to what you're seeing. Seems it (the GUI configuration, first time I didn't edit the config files) does not add this line by default:
public = yes

in the global section.
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
tehfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Distribution: Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, Opensuse 10.2, CentOS 4.4
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Dump of my service definitions, testparm
Code:
[global]
        workgroup = ZOMG
        server string = CentOS SMB Share
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 107.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[smbshr]
        comment = File Share
        path = /smbshr
        valid users = tehfatal
        read only = No
        create mask = 0765
no errors from testparm.
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
tehfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Distribution: Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, Opensuse 10.2, CentOS 4.4
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
forgot to add, no firewall, selinux disabled, and ive started->reload->restart plenty of times. ive also used yum to remove samba, and reinstalled it... still nada
 
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
tehfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Distribution: Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, Opensuse 10.2, CentOS 4.4
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I think i might have figured out the problem. The name of my centos machine is localhost. Im getting a error now saying that a computer with a duplicate name is on the network.

Does it make sense that the computer name is causing issues? if so, how do i change it?
 
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
jakev383
QmailToaster Developer
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Burlington, NC
Distribution: CentOS, Voyage, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehfatal
I think i might have figured out the problem. The name of my centos machine is localhost. Im getting a error now saying that a computer with a duplicate name is on the network.

Does it make sense that the computer name is causing issues? if so, how do i change it?
I'm curious as to this line:
hosts allow = 192.168.1., 107.

That probably should be 127., not 107.
Also try adding
public = yes
in your [global] section so that others can see it.
Yu can check the hostname by issuing the "hostname -f" command to see the FQDN. "hostname -a" might also be of use. These are normally changed in your /etc/sysconfig/network file.
 
Old 04-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
tehfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Distribution: Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, Opensuse 10.2, CentOS 4.4
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks Jake. The only thing i changed was 107 to 127. I thought making the conf have at 107 made samba only allow connections from 192.169.1.x thru 192.169.1.107

But thanks, it worked.
 
Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
tehfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Distribution: Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, Opensuse 10.2, CentOS 4.4
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I had a power outage last night, and my server went down with it of course. I when i turned it back on and started the samba service I am getting the errors again. So its a problem with centos.

Heres the error from winxp's 'view workgroup computers', when i double click the centos server i get:

Code:
\\Localhoast is not accessible

You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network.  Go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again.
This a different error than what i initially posted, but this was an error that happened after i reinstalled samba, but got past it.

Any ideas?
 
Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
jakev383
QmailToaster Developer
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Burlington, NC
Distribution: CentOS, Voyage, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehfatal
I had a power outage last night, and my server went down with it of course. I when i turned it back on and started the samba service I am getting the errors again. So its a problem with centos.

Heres the error from winxp's 'view workgroup computers', when i double click the centos server i get:

Code:
\\Localhoast is not accessible

You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network.  Go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again.
This a different error than what i initially posted, but this was an error that happened after i reinstalled samba, but got past it.

Any ideas?
My father's desktop does that at his house. There's only 2 computers - 1 laptop and 1 desktop (both WinXP), and it will do it if both of them are on. I've verified that the hostnames are different. They're connected through a generic router.
I plugged his desktop into my network and got the same message. I didn't have any Win machines on the network at the time, and I guarantee that none of my machines have the same network name as his desktop. These machines were connected to my Cent firewall/router.
I doubt it's a problem with CentOS. I'm thinking there was a patch that hosed things, or maybe a discreet bug/virus that the virus scanners haven't caught yet. You don't use Earthlink do you by chance? I had a heck of a time with that on his desktop. Plugging him into my network caused DNS to stop working on his machine - even when I put my DNS servers that I run into his DNS entries blocks under TCP/IP. It took me 3 hours to finally get Earthlink off of his computer far enough to be able to surf to www.yahoo.com (and the Earthlink software would let him go to www.yahoo.com at his house on an Earthlink cable modem, but failed a "yahoo.com" lookup with no www.), but he still gets the duplicate hostname error. Even on his network where there are no Linux machines at all, so don't blame CentOS. I'm not saying it's Earthlink, but if you're using the same software, there's no such thing as coincidence.....
 
Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
cope
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: rhel, centos, ubuntu
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
i've had this happen when user/group permissions get out of sync... try chown, chmod everything if needed?
 
Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
tehfatal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Distribution: Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, Opensuse 10.2, CentOS 4.4
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks jake and cope. I am not using earthlink, I have opt online, nor do I have software from them installed. I have 2 samba shares, one for homes(default settings), and /smbshr (770 owner is root, group is smbshr, which I am a part of). Since it maybe be windows, should I rename windows, so it doesnt know the name localhost?

Thanks
 
Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
jakev383
QmailToaster Developer
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Burlington, NC
Distribution: CentOS, Voyage, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehfatal
Thanks jake and cope. I am not using earthlink, I have opt online, nor do I have software from them installed. I have 2 samba shares, one for homes(default settings), and /smbshr (770 owner is root, group is smbshr, which I am a part of). Since it maybe be windows, should I rename windows, so it doesnt know the name localhost?

Thanks
Can't hurt. I tried it on my father's PC several times with no luck. Let us know how it turns out though.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LDAP service is not getting started dhanju Linux - Networking 0 01-06-2006 04:36 AM
Telnet service cannot be started! supermyself Linux - Networking 2 06-09-2005 12:46 PM
Problem starting, needed service "Netmount" not started The_fuzzy_cow Linux - Hardware 1 07-26-2004 07:08 AM
Steam service not started (Issue after reboot) kwiksand Linux - Games 0 02-03-2004 09:55 PM
How do you control if a service (cron for example) is started automatically? Rimmer Linux - General 2 05-16-2001 12:51 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration