LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
rz1a
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question USB Drive mounting and label


If I configure /etc/fstab to mount /dev/sda1/ in /media/usbstick, and setup samba to share the /media/usbstick folder, will this allow anything that mounts as sda1 to be shared?

What if I want specifically the one USB drive I have to be shared using samba? Like if I umount it, take it with me, come back and mount it. I don't want to connect a different USB drive and have it shared. Does the USB drive I want shared have a label or name I can put in /etc/fstab?
 
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,438

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rz1a View Post
If I configure /etc/fstab to mount /dev/sda1/ in /media/usbstick, and setup samba to share the /media/usbstick folder, will this allow anything that mounts as sda1 to be shared?

What if I want specifically the one USB drive I have to be shared using samba? Like if I umount it, take it with me, come back and mount it. I don't want to connect a different USB drive and have it shared. Does the USB drive I want shared have a label or name I can put in /etc/fstab?
/dev/sda1 usually refers (if not ALWAYS) to the first partition on the first hard drive. USB storage devices and similar (depending on your distro) are usually mounted to the /media/ folder.

As the sda1 is a device node in the /dev/ folder, with the "1" referring to the the first partition of that device..

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
 
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
rz1a
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
/dev/sda1 usually refers (if not ALWAYS) to the first partition on the first hard drive. USB storage devices and similar (depending on your distro) are usually mounted to the /media/ folder.

As the sda1 is a device node in the /dev/ folder, with the "1" referring to the the first partition of that device..

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
mounting by UUID. Think I found it from this link:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-...-update-fstab/
 
Old 02-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
Habitual
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Yawnstown, Ohio
Distribution: Mojave
Posts: 9,374
Blog Entries: 37

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID will surely verify the steps.
 
Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
rz1a
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID will surely verify the steps.
thank you for the link!
 
Old 02-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,535

Rep: Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
/dev/sda1 usually refers (if not ALWAYS) to the first partition on the first hard drive.
The times I have had issues with both fstab and my own stupid self have been when the drives are listed in the order they spun up -- so with a few spinny drives installed it was almost random. That and leaving a USB stick in resulting in / moving from sda to sdb. Not sure whether there are still issues because I use UUID almost exclusively nowadays.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] How can I remove a disk label on my USB drive D.V Linux - Newbie 10 09-20-2013 10:26 AM
[SOLVED] How Can I Change the Label of My Mounted USB Flash Drive? wguayan Linux - General 2 09-05-2012 09:52 PM
[SOLVED] /dev/disk/by-label DISAPPEARED! Can't mount USB flash drive ShellyCat Linux - Desktop 5 11-17-2010 12:30 AM
Label and Format USB Drive carlosinfl Linux - General 3 06-16-2010 04:36 PM
can't change the disk label of my new 500gig usb drive oskar Linux - Hardware 12 08-01-2007 07:14 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration