LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
SlowCoder
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Southeast, U.S.A.
Distribution: Debian based
Posts: 1,200

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Best unbiased news channels?


I try to keep track of what's happening in the Ukraine/Russia war. I watch Youtube videos from the CNN, MSNBC and BBC channels. The first two, while I think they're fairly on point, certainly seem to have their spins. BBC feels a bit more real and unbiased.

Are there other good channels for news? I live in the US, but don't mind news from abroad, as I feel they can provide a more rounded perspective.
 
Old 05-05-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
wpeckham
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDo, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro
Posts: 4,349

Rep: Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122
Although coverage can be less complete than BBS coverage, NPR is VERY solid and evidence based. I have heard them call out lies against all parties and factions period. I track BBC coverage more than MSNBC or CNN, although certain journalists at those organizations are very solid and professional others do seem to allow opinion to colr the reporting.

A Key feature of excellent journalism is to VERIFY, and not allow the OPINION of either the journalist or the people being interviewed to override the FACTS. (But do ask them to testify to the facts. Even, or especially, if that makes them uncomfortable.)
 
Old 05-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #3
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,381

Rep: Reputation: 228Reputation: 228Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCoder View Post
I try to keep track of what's happening in the Ukraine/Russia war. I watch Youtube videos from the CNN, MSNBC and BBC channels. The first two, while I think they're fairly on point, certainly seem to have their spins. BBC feels a bit more real and unbiased.

Are there other good channels for news? I live in the US, but don't mind news from abroad, as I feel they can provide a more rounded perspective.
Sure it is free:

https://www.france24.com/en/live
 
Old 05-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #4
teckk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 4,055
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384
These two, CNN, MSNBC, that you mentioned are radical leftists. Those are not news organizations. About like reading the National Enquirer. "Big foot spotted with a dog in his mouth"

You might as well read RT, Pravda, Al Jazeera, and Jerusalem Post, and see what all of the spin is.

BBC does better although I think that they lean left. NPR does better although they lean left at times. DW gives a lot of info but they lean left.

There is a news documentary series that PBS has called Frontline. I recommend it.
Let me see...

Example, if you have never seen it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAAbcNl4Lb8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMe-BYUIPLU
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8UOJqs5F9Q
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsfUiTJv2lE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgqhU4lkgo

I know that's not day by day news, but usually a lot of good info.

ABC NBC CBS all parrot each other and lean left. They would also be better classified as political action groups rather than media.

Read all the propaganda, left/right. Look at what the BBC says, then look a the Telegraph, Reuters, then Daily Mail. Try and decide what you think is true. I realize that is an incredible statement, but that is where we are.

That's also relative from the eye of the beholder. People who watch MSNBC think that PBS and NBC is right wing. Not kidding.
 
Old 05-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #5
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 3,465
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckk View Post
These two, CNN, MSNBC, that you mentioned are radical leftists.
...
BBC does better although I think that they lean left. NPR does better although they lean left at times. DW gives a lot of info but they lean left.
Let me guess: You're against higher education because it 'indoctrinates' people.
 
Old 05-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
SlowCoder
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Southeast, U.S.A.
Distribution: Debian based
Posts: 1,200

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
I'd rather this not turn into a political discussion. I'm just interested in viable, reputable news sources.
 
Old 05-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #7
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 3,465
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794
Nobody has mentioned Reuters.

From their website:

"About Reuters

Reuters is a global news agency that was founded nearly 170 years ago. Our journalists work all over the world and are guided by the Trust Principles, which state that Reuters must report the news with integrity, independence, and freedom from bias.

Reuters and fact checking

Reuters News has a fact-checking unit within its editorial department. The principal aim of this unit is to fact-check visual material and claims posted on social media. The fact checking producers in this unit report their findings on a section of the Reuters.com website.

Reuters is a signatory of the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN). The IFCN has a Code of Principles (https://www.ifcncodeofprinciples.poy...-of-principles). Readers of our fact-checks are invited to contact the IFCN if for any reason they feel Reuters Fact Check has acted in breach of this Code."
 
Old 05-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #8
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 4,217

Rep: Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987Reputation: 3987
For issues as important as Russian invasion of Ukraine, I think it behooves any critical thinking person to not be satisfied with one news source no matter their track record. It just seems more wise, more informed, more balanced to check a few news sources on something so important. I agree that NPR. BBC, and Reuters are reliable sources but I also check Fox and MSNBC to get the extremes. I also seek podcasts specific to such issues if and when they show up, especially if they are interviewing an expert in the field.
 
Old 05-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #9
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 18,170
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720Reputation: 5720
Personally, I avoid television news, and especially 24-hour news channels (though I will admit that some are better than others), because, like "social" media, they will indulge in antics to attract eyeballs. Also, I read more in 10 minutes than a broadcast can tell me in 30.

It's also important to remember the distinction between news and opinion. One of the reasons I contemn 24-hour news channels is that, frankly, there's not usually enough news that would attract an audience to fill 24-hours, so they make up the difference with opinion, much of which is more inflammatory than informative.

Of the sources mentioned above, I agree with others that NPR does a pretty good job of sticking to the facts, as does the BBC and Reuters.

I subscribe to my local shrinking newspaper and read newspaper websites from around the U. S. A few of my favorites include ajc.com, post-gazette.com, azcentral.com, sacbee.com, startribune.com, tambabay.com, orlandosentinel.com, and desmoinesregister.com.

Just my two cents.
 
Old 05-05-2022, 10:17 PM   #10
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 19,569
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950Reputation: 5950
People living in the USA should definitely add something that does not come from the USA to their list.
If you know a language other than English, all the better.

I think good recommendations have been given so far, I listen to some myself.
And maybe I have just given a good hint - I prefer non-video news; usually in the form of audio podcasts provided by most radio stations nowadays.

And in many countries Public Broadcasting is as reputable, reviewed, serious and balanced as it gets.
 
Old 05-05-2022, 11:07 PM   #11
wpeckham
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDo, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro
Posts: 4,349

Rep: Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122Reputation: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCoder View Post
I'd rather this not turn into a political discussion. I'm just interested in viable, reputable news sources.
That is slightly difficult, since the last several years have caused political corruption of media to a greater degree than ever before. When we discuss news sources it generally results in some mention of politics.

I think that the suggestions you have are excellent ones, and are sufficient to lead you to other excellent sources. Keep in mind that you always want to analyze the presentation of information for facts, missing facts (cherry picking), opinion presented as facts, and evidence of verification, validation, and completeness. If you can compare and contrast coverage of the same issues from different sources to build a more complete picture you can more easily weed out that BAD information from the accurate information. Above all, never trust your assumptions and always remain aware that one view being wrong does not mean the opposite or opposing view is right. Trust in the data, not the people.
 
Old 05-06-2022, 12:57 AM   #12
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 3,465
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
And in many countries Public Broadcasting is as reputable, reviewed, serious and balanced as it gets.
It's interesting that you say that. In my country, the main public broadcaster is a political football.
 
Old 05-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #13
hish2021
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2021
Posts: 89

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCoder View Post
...
Are there other good channels for news?...
What about independent content creators? They are present on YouTube, Rumble, and Odysee. Obviously, they don't have the "resources" of major, established news channels, but their analysis can be thought-provoking.

I like Russell Brand. Here's one for you to sample: We’re Not Allowed To Talk About This
 
Old 05-06-2022, 07:45 AM   #14
teckk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 4,055
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384
Deutsche Welle has a English version
Code:
yt-dlp -f 93 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_SfNVNyqk -o - | ffplay -
Sky News
Code:
yt-dlp -f 93 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE -o - | ffplay -
Newsy
Code:
yt-dlp -f 18 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJ6eJtGYFw -o - | ffplay -
Reuters
Code:
yt-dlp -f 93 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OsksEXx2X9M -o - | ffplay -
PBS
Code:
yt-dlp -f 18 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhM2rT38JXE -o - | ffplay -
Fox
Code:
yt-dlp -f 18 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FACbviA9Umc -o - | ffplay -
ABC (US)
Code:
yt-dlp -f 93 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ma8oQLmSM -o - | ffplay -
ABC (OZ)
Code:
yt-dlp -f 93 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOTiJkg1voo -o - | ffplay -
One could make a shell script using select for a menu.
 
Old 05-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #15
teckk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 4,055
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384Reputation: 1384
News script example.sh
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash

feeds=(
#Deutsche Welle
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_SfNVNyqk

#Sky News
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

#Newsy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJ6eJtGYFw

#Reuters
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OsksEXx2X9M

#PBS
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhM2rT38JXE

#Fox
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FACbviA9Umc

#ABC (US)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ma8oQLmSM

#ABC (OZ)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOTiJkg1voo
)

PS3="
Select an option.:  "

while :; do
    clear
    options=(Quit DW Sky Newsy Reuters PBS Fox ABC-us ABC-au)
    select opt in "${options[@]}"; do
        for index in "${!options[@]}"; do
            if [ "${options[$index]}" = "${opt}" ]; then
                case "$opt" in
                    Quit) clear; exit;;
                    
                    *) #Do something with a ytdl and a media player
                        echo "You chose > "$opt" - "${feeds[$index]}"" ;;
                esac
            fi
        done
        sleep 3
        break
    done   
done
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: The Pirate Bay and a Never-Ending Search for an Unbiased Judge LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-25-2009 12:00 AM
LXer: Fedora 9 : Good News. Bad News. LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-18-2008 10:10 PM
LXer: What's your favorite news hub for free software news? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-14-2007 03:16 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration