SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hi i'm trying to set up an server for an friend.
It's not really slackware it's slamd64
And i got it working ok with SATA an all but i had only one core of my amd x2 processor.
So i compiled the kernel the kernel with SMP support rebooted and got this.
VFS: Cannot open root device "801" or unknown-block(8,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(8,1)
Now it works without SMP in the kernel but i want to use both cores in that cpu.
So i tried everything i could think of.
I recompiled the kernel with different options, and i tried mkinitrd with different modules but no success.
I also compiled another version of the kernel 22.214.171.124 and 2.6.12
I changed the lilo.conf
I even tried changing bios settings.
I tried google for along time and tried everything i got in google but, still not working.
So now i try posting here.
Here is some info on the computer.
Motherboard: MSI K8N NEO4-FI nForce4 Ultra
Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core "Manchester" 90nm 4200+ 2.2GHz 512kb+512kb Boxed
Memory: 4x Corsair VS1GB400C3 Value Select 1024Mb DDR PC3200 400MHz
Graficcard: Hightech Excalibur ATI Radeon X300SE 128Mb DDR TV-out RETAIL
Networkcard: 3Com Gigabit NIC PCI
Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36Gb 10000rpm 8Mb cache S-ATA
DVD-Rom: LITE-ON DVD-ROM 16X DVD/48X CD w. Black front bulk IDE