SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I use the same card, but mine is (rev 06) rather than (rev 09). I have no problem with the drivers that I can tell.
I do connect using a static IP. Could this be a DHCP problem?
Just wanted to add I'm running 32 bit slackware-current (I see you're running 64bit)
Hey, I am not sure if this will be of any help, but I had the same problem with internet connections being too slow every time I tried installing slackware on my computers. Try to blacklist ipv6 by adding
in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and reboot.
With ipv6 disabled internet speed is back to normal for me. I am a newbie and I don't understand why this is happening, but it may have to do something with the router model or configuration since it happens on both of my home computers. Also I don't remember having these issues with my old router, it could be a coincidence, I don't know.
I have issues sometimes if I don't set a static DNS server. I got around this by setting my DNS server to the local address of my router and it's such a habit that I can't tell you what the problem actually was or if it still exists for me. Before I set the router's address I just used 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 as the DNS servers which I now have set statically set in my router. YMMV
Setting your own ISP's DNS servers might work better for you, my isp has pretty slow DNS.
You are using the r8169 driver but have a r8168b ethernet card. It may be the case that blacklisting r8169 and installing the r8168 driver from realtek will help. Another solution that might help is manually setting the speed of your ethernet card to 100 instead of 1000 via ethtool. This is a known and very old bug. I also suggest to search this forums or the whole web for r8168 and r8169 driver issues.
edit: An indicator that this is the actual problem would be many "eth0: disconnect/connect", "eth0: autonegotiated.." or similar messages in your log files.
edit2: Yet another indicator would be many lost packages when pinging any other box (e.g. your router)
Last edited by tc_; 09-06-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Reason: Added lost packages