SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
urxvt seemed promising since it was still being maintained.
Although I am surprised tabs are implemented as a perl addon rather than natively ...is this the case for mrxvt also?
At the moment, I notice using vi in urxvt is not working correctly, although it does in xterm. The screen is not updated for some reason. Is this because of a different terminal type by default or something?
I tried tabs with urxvt, didn't like them so much. I haven't been using them; I just open another one if I need it.
I don't know why vi & urxvt don't work together. It's probably fixable, but I don't usually use vi in X anyway, so I haven't looked for a fix.
After researching the available terminal emulators in some depth, I chose mrxvt. It was not easy to find out how to configure mrxvt (it is easy to do, just hard to find out how) but now it is done I'm very happy with it. I do not use all the features and have not explored transparency.
mrxvt is nice but it doesn't yet support unicode. They are/were working on it though.
A good thing about urxvt apart from unicode is the perl support and there are a few scripts included you can work with for underlining and clicking links etc.