LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Slackovado
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14 32bit, Debian, Arch
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 27
Disable Thunar from autostarting


Is it possible to disable Thunar from autostarting with XFCE?
I can't find where it's starting from.
It's not listed in the "Session and Startup" settings.
It's not in .config/autostart either.
Is it hardcoded?
 
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
willysr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Jogja, Indonesia
Distribution: Slackware-Current
Posts: 2,637

Rep: Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450
Try looking at /etc/xdg/autostart
 
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Slackovado
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14 32bit, Debian, Arch
Posts: 220

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysr View Post
Try looking at /etc/xdg/autostart
Thanks for the tip.
It's not there but there is a whole bunch of shit I wasn't aware of and some of it is not even starting (or at least I don't see it anywhere) like network manager.
And why the hell do I need blueman when I don't have any bluetooth devices?

Linux, and even X11 used to be simple, and one know what was where.
Config files were text and human readable.
Now it's all turning into same shit as Windows.
Config files are scattered all over the place, million places to autostart stuff that's not needed.
Shitty XML config files that are no longer human readable all over the place.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
ljb643
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 293

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thunar is started by xfce4-session, same as some other parts (xfwm, xfce4-panel, ...). It is not simple to disable it, if possible at all, and I take that to mean these are essential parts of the Xfce desktop environment.

You can (and should) disable autostart of stuff you don't need, like blueman, either at the user level (you can use Settings > Session and Startup), or at the system level by removing entries from /etc/xdg/autostart.

Linux and X11 are still simple (relatively). Nobody is being forced to use Xfce, KDE, etc. (At least not on Slackware.) We use them because we like what they do, and are willing to live with the complexity that is necessary for all that to work.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Diantre
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 402

Rep: Reputation: 153Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackovado View Post
Is it possible to disable Thunar from autostarting with XFCE?
I can't find where it's starting from.
It's not listed in the "Session and Startup" settings.
It's not in .config/autostart either.
Is it hardcoded?
Hardcoded? I don't think so. Take a look at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml. You'll see there something like this:

Code:
<property name="Client3_Command" type="array">
   <value type="string" value="Thunar"/>
   <value type="string" value="--daemon"/>
</property>
I haven't tried what you mention, but I modified this file to remove the xfce4 panel and window manager and use compiz and cairo-dock instead. I suppose that by removing the entry, Thunar won't be loaded. YMMV.

If you don't have the file in your ~/.config directory, copy it from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Slackovado
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14 32bit, Debian, Arch
Posts: 220

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb643 View Post
Thunar is started by xfce4-session, same as some other parts (xfwm, xfce4-panel, ...). It is not simple to disable it, if possible at all, and I take that to mean these are essential parts of the Xfce desktop environment.

You can (and should) disable autostart of stuff you don't need, like blueman, either at the user level (you can use Settings > Session and Startup), or at the system level by removing entries from /etc/xdg/autostart.
Thanks for trying. It was, if not helpful, then at least somewhat supportive

The rest of your reply is just a propaganda BS.

Quote:
Linux and X11 are still simple (relatively). Nobody is being forced to use Xfce, KDE, etc. (At least not on Slackware.) We use them because we like what they do, and are willing to live with the complexity that is necessary for all that to work.
Nobody is forced to use Linux in general. But we use it because we like it and also need it to get work done. And we need stuff like XFCE or KDE because doing gui stuff from a terminal is kind of awkward.
And no we are not willing to live with the complexity, especially if that complexity is just a brain fart of incompetent developers that should have been questioned and yelled at as soon as they showed up with some of these idiotic ideas (like the trillion XML config files in some gtk stuff, don't remember whether is was gconf or something else because I deleted it as soon as I saw that insanity).
 
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Slackovado
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14 32bit, Debian, Arch
Posts: 220

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diantre View Post
Hardcoded? I don't think so. Take a look at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml. You'll see there something like this:

Code:
<property name="Client3_Command" type="array">
   <value type="string" value="Thunar"/>
   <value type="string" value="--daemon"/>
</property>
I haven't tried what you mention, but I modified this file to remove the xfce4 panel and window manager and use compiz and cairo-dock instead. I suppose that by removing the entry, Thunar won't be loaded. YMMV.

If you don't have the file in your ~/.config directory, copy it from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml.
Thanks for the tip.
I have the file but Thunar is not listed there.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I disable a redundant menu item in Thunar? nokangaroo Linux - Software 5 09-28-2011 02:39 AM
autostarting but from where? evil_empire Fedora 5 03-31-2005 01:51 PM
Apache not autostarting Atrocity *BSD 8 12-08-2004 02:58 PM
autostarting XWindows Jeebizz Slackware 7 08-30-2004 10:36 PM
Autostarting apps concoran Linux - Newbie 1 07-29-2002 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration