LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Disable Thunar from autostarting (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/disable-thunar-from-autostarting-4175448026/)

Slackovado 01-31-2013 12:40 PM

Disable Thunar from autostarting
 
Is it possible to disable Thunar from autostarting with XFCE?
I can't find where it's starting from.
It's not listed in the "Session and Startup" settings.
It's not in .config/autostart either.
Is it hardcoded?

willysr 01-31-2013 05:09 PM

Try looking at /etc/xdg/autostart

Slackovado 01-31-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 4881690)
Try looking at /etc/xdg/autostart

Thanks for the tip.
It's not there but there is a whole bunch of shit I wasn't aware of and some of it is not even starting (or at least I don't see it anywhere) like network manager.
And why the hell do I need blueman when I don't have any bluetooth devices?

Linux, and even X11 used to be simple, and one know what was where.
Config files were text and human readable.
Now it's all turning into same shit as Windows.
Config files are scattered all over the place, million places to autostart stuff that's not needed.
Shitty XML config files that are no longer human readable all over the place.

ljb643 01-31-2013 08:00 PM

Thunar is started by xfce4-session, same as some other parts (xfwm, xfce4-panel, ...). It is not simple to disable it, if possible at all, and I take that to mean these are essential parts of the Xfce desktop environment.

You can (and should) disable autostart of stuff you don't need, like blueman, either at the user level (you can use Settings > Session and Startup), or at the system level by removing entries from /etc/xdg/autostart.

Linux and X11 are still simple (relatively). Nobody is being forced to use Xfce, KDE, etc. (At least not on Slackware.) We use them because we like what they do, and are willing to live with the complexity that is necessary for all that to work.

Diantre 01-31-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slackovado (Post 4881524)
Is it possible to disable Thunar from autostarting with XFCE?
I can't find where it's starting from.
It's not listed in the "Session and Startup" settings.
It's not in .config/autostart either.
Is it hardcoded?

Hardcoded? I don't think so. Take a look at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml. You'll see there something like this:

Code:

<property name="Client3_Command" type="array">
  <value type="string" value="Thunar"/>
  <value type="string" value="--daemon"/>
</property>

I haven't tried what you mention, but I modified this file to remove the xfce4 panel and window manager and use compiz and cairo-dock instead. I suppose that by removing the entry, Thunar won't be loaded. YMMV.

If you don't have the file in your ~/.config directory, copy it from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml.

Slackovado 02-02-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljb643 (Post 4881810)
Thunar is started by xfce4-session, same as some other parts (xfwm, xfce4-panel, ...). It is not simple to disable it, if possible at all, and I take that to mean these are essential parts of the Xfce desktop environment.

You can (and should) disable autostart of stuff you don't need, like blueman, either at the user level (you can use Settings > Session and Startup), or at the system level by removing entries from /etc/xdg/autostart.

Thanks for trying. It was, if not helpful, then at least somewhat supportive :)

The rest of your reply is just a propaganda BS.

Quote:

Linux and X11 are still simple (relatively). Nobody is being forced to use Xfce, KDE, etc. (At least not on Slackware.) We use them because we like what they do, and are willing to live with the complexity that is necessary for all that to work.
Nobody is forced to use Linux in general. But we use it because we like it and also need it to get work done. And we need stuff like XFCE or KDE because doing gui stuff from a terminal is kind of awkward.
And no we are not willing to live with the complexity, especially if that complexity is just a brain fart of incompetent developers that should have been questioned and yelled at as soon as they showed up with some of these idiotic ideas (like the trillion XML config files in some gtk stuff, don't remember whether is was gconf or something else because I deleted it as soon as I saw that insanity).

Slackovado 02-02-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diantre (Post 4881843)
Hardcoded? I don't think so. Take a look at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml. You'll see there something like this:

Code:

<property name="Client3_Command" type="array">
  <value type="string" value="Thunar"/>
  <value type="string" value="--daemon"/>
</property>

I haven't tried what you mention, but I modified this file to remove the xfce4 panel and window manager and use compiz and cairo-dock instead. I suppose that by removing the entry, Thunar won't be loaded. YMMV.

If you don't have the file in your ~/.config directory, copy it from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml.

Thanks for the tip.
I have the file but Thunar is not listed there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.