LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
snay
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Speedtouch 330 in SuSE

Another Speedtouch thread.........
Appologies, but Ive read everything I can find on this modem, and it wont work. If anyone else tells me to rtfm again, I think I will kill someone.....

Anyways, I installed the modem a la all of the help pages, and this "speedbundle" package, , and I did have it working, but now it wont work. Am I doing something wrong? I type 'pppd call speedtch', but it comes up that the device is not found. However, the first time I installed it, it worked straigt away, but incredibly strangely.....

I would get it running along at about 25 - 30 KBps, but then it would stall, for five or ten minutes, and then shoot back up to 25 - 30 KBps, and repeat that cycle for about an hour. I thought this was a bit strange (last night), but I put it down to the firefox server being heavily loaded.

I restarted it, and the modem wouldnt work. Nothing. Nada.

Its annoying me now. Any clues? I am a linux newbie, so it may be that I am using the wrong command to dial up, or something equally stupid.

I am running SuSE 9.1 personal. Firefox, and konquerer wont work. I am using the KDE desktop, with Tiscali 256kbps broadband.

Please help. This switch over to linux doesnt seem like its worth all this effort with spending an hour getting the soundcard to work (sound comes out ofthe microphone port!?!). Is it really worth the effort?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
bunyip
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu 7.10

Lo snay,

Yeah, I had some trouble at first as well, but this is what worked (and still does) for me.

This is assuming you have the silver one (revision4) modem.

First of all, go to:

http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net/

This is Steve Parker's script incorporating the speedtouch configuration script. Follow the instructions as given on the website, but basically it's as follows:

Download the latest speedtouchconf.**.tar.gz package (they are numbered by date), and also follow the microcode links as regards your Speedtouch modem version (if you have the latest silver one, that's revision 4). In my case, it was the silver one, so I also downloaded the rev4fw.zip firmware package.

Open a terminal, and as su do the following:

Unzip the speedtouchconf.**.tar.gz package, and then copy/import the relevant microcode into that folder (in my case cp -v ~/rev4fw.zip ~/speedtouchconf.**) I ignored everything I had read about needing the Alcatel-proprietary microcode, and just went with rev4fw.zip.

Then change directory into the speedtouchconf** directory (cd speedtouchconf**), and run the speedtouchconf script ( ./speedtouchconf.sh ), and just follow the prompts. In my case, I've set it up for the connection to be established at boot, as I'm not up to speed on hotplugging. Any further questions, just read the FAQs on the above website.

HTH
bunyip

Old 04-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
snay
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Its working now.
What is going on. It is working completely normal now, with no intervention from me.
Thanks anyway.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
snay
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
AAAAARG!!!!!!
It wont work anymore!!!
What on earth is going on? First it worked, then it didnt, then it did, and now it wont again.
HELP.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 87
Please provide more info about what actions you are doing. Are you rebooting, are you installing new software, etc. It's difficult to offer any suggestions if the problem description is only that it doesn't work.

As a side note, Yes, Linux can seem confusing at first but only because it's new. It's similar to if you happen to visit another town - finding the grocery store or a gas station might take a lot longer than it should, but only because you haven't learned your way around yet. It can be frustrating at times, but as for your question "Is it worth it?", my answer most definitely would be Yes. Good luck with it -- J.W.