LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
exad

Distribution: Slackware 12.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Anyone get a wacom tablet working under Slackware 12.2

I was just wondering if anyone got a wacom tablet working under Slackware 12.2. I tried to get it working yesterday and ended up screwing up my mouse while still not having my tablet working. I searched google and the forums but didn't come up with anything too helpfull. Anyone out there that can give me some tips?

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Drakeo

Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,

Rep: Reputation: 483Reputation: 483Reputation: 483Reputation: 483Reputation: 483
after your install and your in run level 4 as root type xorgsetup this should lead you to a few question answer them and then you can then start your xwindow if you want startx or kdm etc.
It would be better to create a usr then log in but if you want to be gui in root go ahead. this should set up your mouse and graphics card keybord etc. much easier than xorgconfig good luck.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
titopoquito

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...60#post2907360 gives instructions on Slackware. It works for 12.1, sorry, have no 12.2 running. But it should be a first guide if not your way to getting it to work completely

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
exad

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the responses! I'm gonna try both tonight when I get home. I tried some 12.1 howto before and that's how I ended up with my mouse not working. But the one you linked titopoquito seems more in depth so that might work alot better if the xorgsetup doesn't get it working.

To be honest, I was just shocked my bluetooth keyboard and mouse worked out of the box. Thanks for the help guys. I'll post again after I try to get it working.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
exad

Original Poster
So, last night, I was up until 4am, trying to get my tablet to work. I recompiled my kernel to include the wacom drivers and now my tablet is half working at least! I can use the pen like a regular mouse but I can't draw with it yet so now I'm just kinda stumped at this point. I'm going to do some more searching online to get it working 100%

Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
titopoquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by exad View Post
So, last night, I was up until 4am, trying to get my tablet to work. I recompiled my kernel to include the wacom drivers and now my tablet is half working at least! I can use the pen like a regular mouse but I can't draw with it yet so now I'm just kinda stumped at this point. I'm going to do some more searching online to get it working 100%
Maybe my memory is failing, but you don't need to recompile your kernel I think, but you have to use the source from linux-wacom project.

It would help if you wrote which steps you took to get help. Did you set the settings in Gimp (I guess that's where you are trying to paint?) for the wacom according to the link I posted?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
ErV

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
I can use the pen like a regular mouse but I can't draw with it yet so now I'm just kinda stumped at this point. I'm going to do some more searching online to get it working 100%
YOu might need to change your xorg.conf a bit (can't give howto - I'm using non-wacom tablet), and select your tablet as input device in GIMP.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
exad

Original Poster
So what I did was this. I was having a hard time getting the wacom driver from the site installed so I recompiled the kernel to include the wacom drivers that comes with it. Then I Added this to my serverlayout section of xorg.conf:

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom" # USB ONLY
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on" # USB ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Type" "cursor"
EndSection

Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
titopoquito

I think you need the driver from linux-wacom project. It's a driver for your X-server, so AFAIK the linux-wacom driver is required to get it working. I am not sure if the kernel module that comes with the linux-wacom package is in any way newer or better.

Take a look at www.slackbuilds.org, there is a SlackBuild script to do this: http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12...ty/linuxwacom/ . This way it should be very easy to get the kernel module AND the x module working. If you are not sure what to do with the script there's a HOWTO: http://slackbuilds.org/howto/

About xorg.conf: The entries look good, only thing is that I don't see an entry for "pad", although I don't know if it is required at all. The relevant parts of my xorg.conf:

Code:
Identifier     "Simple Layout"
    Screen         "Screen 1" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "pad"

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
#Option "Tilt" "on"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "USB" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "pad"
Option "Type" "pad"
Option "USB" "on"
EndSection
# end of Wacom stuff
To use pressure sensitivity in GIMP you need to make changes there too. From rvdboom's post I linked above:

Quote:
6/ In Gimp, go to File->Preferences->Input Devices->Configure Extended Input Devices, and for each Wacom device, set the mode to Screen.
I think you are not far away from a nicely working wacom tablet

Old 01-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
arubin

Distribution: Slackware64 15.0 (multilib)

Rep: Reputation: 75
I am also having a problem with this. I have managed to get my Wacom tablet working with all previous versions since 9.1 but am stumped with 12.2.

I tried compiling a new kernel with the wacom modules. I have tried the slackbuild. I have copied wacom_drv.so to /usr/lib/modules/input. I have made the changes in xorg.conf. Whatever I do Gimp does not recognise the extended drivers. Xorg.0.log shows
Quote:
(**) Keyboard1: CustomKeycodes disabled
(EE) No Input driver matching `wacom'
(II) evaluating device (Keyboard1)
I am suspicious that the problem is with wacom_drv.so

Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
veeall

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 56
I have got it to work quite painlessly in 12.2 with graphire3.
I compiled wacom drivers with slackbuild from slackbuild.org
Compiled kernel module with ./configure --enable-wacom and make.
Copied the freshly built module to /lib/modules/2.6.27.7-smp/kernel/drivers/usb/input.
Copied over relevant parts from my old xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Simple Layout"
    Screen         "Screen 1" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Option     "Protocol"      "Auto"
    Identifier     "Mouse1"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "cursor"
    Option "Type" "cursor"
    Option "CursorProx" "20"
    Option "Speed" "0.8"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute" # "Relative"
    Option "Suppress" "3" #Default is 2
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "Threshold" "5"
    Option "HistorySize" "200"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "PressCurve" "50,0,100,50" # Default is "0,0,100,100"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option  "Button2"       "3"
    Option  "Button3"       "2"
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "Threshold" "5"
    Option "BaudRate" "19200" 
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "eraser"
    Option "Type" "eraser"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "Threshold" "5"
    Option "BaudRate" "19200" 
EndSection
And finally copied over an udev rule to /lib/udev/rules.d/
Here is the 10-wacom.rules which i got from debian.

Code:
# udev rules for wacom tablets.
# These rules were compiled for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution,
# but others may, and indeed are encouraged to, use them also.
#
# Should you do so, PLEASE CO-ORDINATE ANY CHANGES OR ADDITIONS
# of new devices with Ron  so that we can try
# to present users with with a standard set of device nodes
# which they can rely on across the board.
# Convenience link for the common case of a single tablet.
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYMLINK="input/wacom"
# You probably won't need this IMPORT rule, since an earlier file is
# likely to have already done it, but the rule that follows it does
# depend on that having happened to set ID_PATH.
# IMPORT{program}="path_id %p"
# Port specific link for users of multiple tablets of the same type.
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", ENV{ID_PATH}=="?*", SYMLINK+="input/by-path/$env{ID_PATH}-wacom"
# Type-named links for multiple tablets. If you want to use multiple
# tablets of the _same_ type, you will probably need to use the links
# from /dev/input/by-path to identify which is plugged into what usb
# port. For different types though, just pick your links from the
# list below.
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0000", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-penpartner"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0010", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-graphire"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0011", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-graphire2-4x5"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0012", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-graphire2-5x7"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0013", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-graphire3"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0014", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-graphire3-6x8"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0015", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-graphire4-4x5"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0016", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-graphire4-6x8"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0060", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-volito"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0061", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-penstation2"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0062", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-volito2-4x5"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0063", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-volito2-2x3"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0064", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-penpartner2"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0065", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-bamboo"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0020", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos-4x5"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0021", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos-6x8"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0022", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos-9x12"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0023", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos-12x12"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0024", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos-12x18"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0030", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl400"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0031", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl500"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0032", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl600"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0033", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl600sx"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0034", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl550"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0035", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl800"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0037", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl700"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0038", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-pl510"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0039", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-dtu710"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00c0", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-dtf521"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00c4", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-dtf720"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-cintiq_partner"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0041", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos2-4x5"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0042", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos2-6x8"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0043", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos2-9x12"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0044", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos2-12x12"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0045", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos2-12x18"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00b0", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos3-4x5"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00b1", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos3-6x8"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00b2", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos3-9x12"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00b3", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos3-12x12"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00b4", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos3-12x19"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="00b5", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos3-6x11"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="003f", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-cintiq21ux"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="056a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0047", SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos2-6x8a"
Please take it with cautious because i am not an expert but thatīs how i got it working.

Oh, and my server layout is set for wacom mouse which i use instead of a regular mouse, i donīt know if it makes a difference here.

Last edited by veeall; 01-12-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Just remembered something.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
arubin

Distribution: Slackware64 15.0 (multilib)

Rep: Reputation: 75
I have it working now also. I did it with the slackbuild. I had actually forgotten to install the compiled tgz!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
exad

Original Poster
Sooo, I used slackbuild to get everything installed but now I can't test it because gimp is suddenly acting up!

When I try to run Gimp I get:

gimp: error while loading shared libraries: libgegl-0.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried googling this with no luck. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling gimp and the problem wasn't resolved -_-

Any ideas?

Thanks for the slackbuild link, definitely a great resource I didn't know about.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
SqdnGuns

Distribution: Slackware64Ū Current & Arch

Rep: Reputation: 174Reputation: 174
Quote:
Sooo, I used slackbuild to get everything installed but now I can't test it because gimp is suddenly acting up!

When I try to run Gimp I get:

gimp: error while loading shared libraries: libgegl-0.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried googling this with no luck. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling gimp and the problem wasn't resolved -_-

Any ideas?

Thanks for the slackbuild link, definitely a great resource I didn't know about.
You runnning Gimp 2.6?

You will need to build babl THEN gegl:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.2/libraries/babl/

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.2/libraries/gegl/

Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
exad

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqdnGuns View Post
Thanks a ton everyone. My tablet's installed perfectly now. Gimp recognizes it as well. Once I get Gimp configured for it, it should work beautifully. Thank you all for the help, it's greatly appreciated.