LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2007, 05:24 AM   #16
rvdboom

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30

Well, I've tested the udev settings provided on titopoquito's link and it works perfectly!

So my way will be from now-on :

1/ Extract the linuxwacom driver tarball and run this in the extracted dir :

Code:
./configure --enable-wacom
make
make install
2/ Copy the prebuilt wacom_drv.so from linuxwacom in the /usr/lib/modules/input/ dir (that's the X11 driver) :

Code:
cd prebuilt/32
cp wacom_drv.so /usr/lib/modules/input/
3/ Create a /etc/udev/rules.d/10-wacom.rules and add the following line to it :

Code:
KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", NAME="input/%k", SYMLINK+="input/wacom"
4/ Edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add the three InputDevice for each wacom device (stylus, eraser, cursor), using "/dev/input/wacom" as device, as per the LinuxWacom HowTo.
Don't forget to add the three input devices also to the "Server Layout" section. I personnaly use "AlwaysCore", which works well for me.

5/ Restart the computer.

6/ In Gimp, go to File->Preferences->Input Devices->Configure Extended Input Devices, and for each Wacom device, set the mode to Screen.

Troubleshooting :
1/ If "wacdump /dev/input/wacom" doesn't show something like this :

Code:
wacdump v0.7.4

MODEL=Wacom Intuos2 6x8                 ROM=1.1-5
CLS=USB  VNDR=Wacom  DEV=Intuos2  SUB=XD-0608-U
That probably means there's something wrong with the kernel driver or the udev rule which didn't set up the wacom symlink properly. Try all the "/dev/input/event*" devices and if none of them works, either the wacom kernel module is not loaded or it doesn't work properly. Try another version of LinuxWacom.

2/ If wacdump displays everything properly but the tablet still doesn't work under X11, that's probably an issue with the X11 driver. Make sure you copied the appropriate prebuilt one (Slackware is 32bits right now) and that you copied the ".so" and not the ".o". Check "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for wacom messages.

Honestly, I have 3 tablets here (one Intuos, one Cintiq, one Graphire3) and they work perfectly with Slackware 12.
So there should not be any problem I guess.

Last edited by rvdboom; 09-29-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #17
rampire
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I had just typed out a long post about the status of my efforts here, when I noticed the last post. Long story short: everything works now. I'm completely psyched about this. I can't thank you all enough for all the help!

rvdboom, if you don't mind, I'm going to save a copy of this in case anyone I know runs into the same problems I did. Definately the most concise step-by-step that I've seen.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #18
rvdboom

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
I don't mind at all, I'm please it helped you.
Actually, I've learned something in the process (the udev rule) that simplifies a lot of things to me too now, so it was a win-win situation. :-)

Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
alex.pujols

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 2
thanks

The previous post just worked for me!

I had to try it after the slacky.eu linuxwacom package (linuxwacom-0.8.4-i486-2as) failed.

- My gear -

* Slackware 13 (2.6.29.6-smp)
* eeePC 1000
* linuxwacom-0.8.4-3
* Bamboo (MTE-450A)

Tags
slackware, wacom