LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
XaXo-BG
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Resolution problem

Hi,
i cant config my resolution.
how to install the monitors driver.?
when i put 1024X768 resolution my monitor goes to 65hertz
how to fix that.
I have slackware10 with kde envoirment.
my eyes hurt, help now!

Old 01-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
darkleaf

Distribution: debian SID

Rep: Reputation: 45
Which version of X are you running? If it's xfree86 you have to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Somewhere in it are a few lines with resolutions. Add the resolution you want to all lines. Then change it in the KDE control center

Old 01-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
hmc
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Centos, Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 15
a little black art

Hi,

One other little trick for changing the resolution is a kernel parameter. Try adding the following the kernel arguments:

vga=792

/Hugo

Old 01-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #4
__J

Distribution: Slackware, ROCK

Rep: Reputation: 46
for slack 10, which comes with Xorg-6.7, you'll need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and where it says "VertRefresh" ( might be a range like 50-100) change it to what you want

Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
vectordrake

Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally posted by __J
for slack 10, which comes with Xorg-6.7, you'll need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and where it says "VertRefresh" ( might be a range like 50-100) change it to what you want
There you go! Your /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file must have the right info about your monitor in it. Your vertica refresh rate is likely not going high enough as the file is preventing it. Look up the specs for your monitor and enter them in there. The Hsync should be entered properly as well. Mine, for example, is one of those cheap 17" from KDS (VS-7i). Its range is vert:50-160 horiz:30-70

Your config file is likely still using a default which chops the vert capabilities off too low.(something like 70??). For a sample config file with lotsa comments, you can check what I've posted HERE for help with questions like this. Its from my first Gentoo installation and I felt it was commented well enough to help illustrated answers to questions like yours (thank you Gentoo config people)

Be sure to make the changes as root and don't put in specs outside your monitor's capabilities - you could fry it!

Old 01-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
XaXo-BG
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
10x. )
i fix it.
10q so much.

Last edited by XaXo-BG; 01-17-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
janjam_640
LQ Newbie

doubt

Hi,
I am also facing the resolution problem. I followed the procedure you have told. But I dont know where to look for the specificaitons of the monitor. Mine is Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.
When I am trying for higher resolutions the display is not coming properly.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
jonr

Distribution: Ubuntu

Re: doubt

Quote:
Originally posted by janjam_640
Hi,
I am also facing the resolution problem. I followed the procedure you have told. But I dont know where to look for the specificaitons of the monitor. Mine is Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.
It would help if you'd tell what distribution you're using so somebody familiar with that distribution might be able to help you out.
You can put the name of your distribution (and version number) in your profile so it shows up on every post and saves you trouble.
No matter what the distribution, chances are you can change the /etc/X11/xorg.config file to get the resolution and refresh rate you need, but you may also have a much easier way of doing it through some control panel if you're using a typical X Window setup.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
vectordrake

Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...

Re: doubt

Quote:
Hi,
Try looking here

Old 01-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
janjam_640
LQ Newbie

Thanks Jon,
I edited the file in etc/x11/xorg.config. Actually it needs to be restarted after editing that file. I didnt realise that when I was doing that yesterday. Any way its working fine now. Mine is Fedora Core 3 version of linux.
Could you tell me how to connect my samsung a670 cell phone to my computer to use internet. Actually I have software for my windows and I am able to use the internet in the windows only. Do you have any package for this phone so that I can be connected to the internet through this.
Thank you,

Sathish Janjam
Clarkson University,NY

Old 01-22-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
jonr

Distribution: Ubuntu

Quote:
Thanks Jon,
I edited the file in etc/x11/xorg.config. Actually it needs to be restarted after editing that file. I didnt realise that when I was doing that yesterday. Any way its working fine now. Mine is Fedora Core 3 version of linux.
Could you tell me how to connect my samsung a670 cell phone to my computer to use internet. Actually I have software for my windows and I am able to use the internet in the windows only. Do you have any package for this phone so that I can be connected to the internet through this.
Thank you,

Sathish Janjam
Clarkson University,NY
Glad to hear your resolution problem got--resolved!

I suggest you post about the Samsung cell-phone situation in a fresh thread with a very specific
title. I believe it would go in the wireless forum (I think there's one) otherwise under hardware.

I have no idea how to do it. My cell-phone usage is very, very basic.

Good luck!