Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I have a Fedora 3 distribution running and have a 64 bit AMD processor with an ATI Radeon graphics card. I was trying to follow the steps below that someone had posted to speed up the graphics on my machine.
- download the rpm: fglrx64_6_8_0-8.16.20-1.x86_64.rpm
- open terminal and become root with: su -
- install the rpm with: rpm -ivh --force fglrx64_6_8_0-8.16.20-1.x86_64.rpm
- go to runlevel 3 with: init 3
- go to: /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod
- change the following line in the file 'firegl_public.c' :
- run the script: make.sh
- go up one dir-level and run script: make_install.sh
- load driver with: modprobe fglrx
- check if driver was loaded with: lsmod | grep fglrx
- unload driver with: modprobe -r fglrx
- go to /etc/lib/X11 and make copy of xorg.conf to xorg.conf.org
- go to /usr/X11R6/bin and run: fglrxconfig
- go to runlevel 5 to test the driver: init 5
- open terminal and run: /usr/X11R6/bin/fglrxinfo
- output should be something like:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X800 XL Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.5272 (X4.3.0-8.16.20)
- now run: /usr/X11R6/bin/fgl_glxgears
Now, when I run the script make_install.sh, I get the following error.
- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): No such device
The file seems to be there in that location. I can find the same file in multiple other directories within the folder fglrx too! I have been trying to install this over and over again and I dont know if this is screwing things up.
There seems to be some warning in the previous command too. Here's what I did.
ATI module generator V 2.0
assuming new VMA API since we do have kernel 2.6.x...
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/build'
Building modules, stage 2.
Warning: could not find /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC3.cmd for /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC3
make: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/build'
build succeeded with return value 0
duplicating results into driver repository...
You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
Then, Step 3 was ./make_install.sh which says it can't find fglrx.ko!!