LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2015, 04:18 AM   #1
lenikadali
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2014
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Distribution: Kali, Fedora, Arch
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Configuring a dual boot Arch and Fedora installation


I have setup a dual boot system with Fedora 21 and Arch Linux. The problem is that Fedora doesn't see my encrypted Arch installation. The installations are on separate partitions and do not share anything apart from hard disk space. I have run the following commands as root in Fedora:

Code:
grub2-install /dev/sda
Code:
os-prober
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
When I rebooted, Fedora was the only OS entry showing in the GRUB menu.

There was a suggestion from one of the members of the Arch forums that I should write the entry myself into /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then re-build the grub configuration or take the Arch entry from Arch's /boot/grub/grub.cfg and just paste it into the 40_custom in Fedora and rebuild.

How do I boot from a live Arch USB stick into the installed Arch and do as stated above? How would it work? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by lenikadali; 03-11-2015 at 06:44 AM.
 
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 14,832

Rep: Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820
Posting a duplicate thread here (or anywhere else for that matter) is likely to only cause more confusion.
 
Old 03-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
lenikadali
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2014
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Distribution: Kali, Fedora, Arch
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
Posting a duplicate thread here (or anywhere else for that matter) is likely to only cause more confusion.
Sorry, my bad. Have removed the reference. Thanks
 
Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
lenikadali
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2014
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Distribution: Kali, Fedora, Arch
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenikadali View Post
I have setup a dual boot system with Fedora 21 and Arch Linux. The problem is that Fedora doesn't see my encrypted Arch installation. The installations are on separate partitions and do not share anything apart from hard disk space. I have run the following commands as root in Fedora:

Code:
grub2-install /dev/sda
Code:
os-prober
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
When I rebooted, Fedora was the only OS entry showing in the GRUB menu.

There was a suggestion from one of the members of the Arch forums that I should write the entry myself into /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then re-build the grub configuration or take the Arch entry from Arch's /boot/grub/grub.cfg and just paste it into the 40_custom in Fedora and rebuild.

How do I boot from a live Arch USB stick into the installed Arch and do as stated above? How would it work? Thanks in advance for your replies.
I've narrowed it down to creating a 'menuentry' in /etc/grub.d/40_custom for Arch Linux. Arch is installed on /dev/sda2 with LVM on LUKS. Any help on how to write it is appreciated.
 
Old 03-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 14,832

Rep: Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenikadali View Post
Sorry, my bad. Have removed the reference. Thanks
What I meant was that you may get conflicting advice from the two threads, and you may do both ... possibly making things worse.

Did you read all the warnings in Pavels blog ?.

Fedora ships with cryptsetup, so you should be able to open the Arch container(s) from Fedora - likewise Fedora includes LVM. Once all the Arch lvs are mounted a grub2-mkconfig should find Arch and add them to grub.cfg. However, as you chose to also encrypt /boot, grub on Fedora is going to need the support you added to Arch grub so when booted it (Fedora grub) can also open the container and find the kernel and initrd.
Simply adding a 40_custom to the Fedora grub will not suffice.

Last edited by syg00; 03-11-2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: clarification on boot requirements
 
Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 AM   #6
lenikadali
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2014
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Distribution: Kali, Fedora, Arch
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
What I meant was that you may get conflicting advice from the two threads, and you may do both ... possibly making things worse.

Did you read all the warnings in Pavels blog ?.

Fedora ships with cryptsetup, so you should be able to open the Arch container(s) from Fedora - likewise Fedora includes LVM. Once all the Arch lvs are mounted a grub2-mkconfig should find Arch and add them to grub.cfg. However, as you chose to also encrypt /boot, grub on Fedora is going to need the support you added to Arch grub so when booted it (Fedora grub) can also open the container and find the kernel and initrd.
Simply adding a 40_custom to the Fedora grub will not suffice.
Yes I did read all the warnings. As per the conflicting advice, the Arch thread didn't seem to get any new replies, so I went to the IRC channel #archlinux-newbie, where I got the advice to write a custom Arch entry within Fedora. Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it out and let you know.
 
  


Reply

Tags
arch linux, dual boot, encryption, fedora


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Dual-boot not working with Win7 & Arch (installation problem?) Krauger Linux - Newbie 12 03-04-2012 08:46 PM
System boot failure after installation of fedora fc11 in dual boot with windows xp npsdevan Fedora - Installation 1 08-10-2009 05:45 AM
Fedora 10 x86_64 fresh installation on dual-boot - change boot settings Ciprian Linux - Newbie 7 03-13-2009 08:38 PM
Configuring M$ MN-510 with dual boot RedHat Fedora Core 1 Lady Day Fedora - Installation 0 05-29-2006 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration