I'm trying to set up sound on my new Slack (10.2) box, but KDE's artsd refuses to recognize any sound hardware. It's in the /dev folder as /dev/dsp1, but artsd doesn't see it, nor does it see the default /dev/dsp.
I don't know where to go from here, as I've tried starting it from the command line with the correct options as well as in the gui. Any ideas?
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8375 [KM266/KL266] Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
00:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4281 PCI Audio (rev 01)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R350 AH [Radeon 9800]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800] (Secondary)
Distro: Slackware 10.2
After further exploration, I discovered that in order to set a specific sound device in artsd while using ALSA, you must use the hw:N format, where N is the equivalent of /dev/dsp'N'. So now I have an error-free save, but still no sound. I've gone into KMix and maxed all volumes as well as unmuted everything to no avail. I've even tried using 'aoss firefox' to get things to work, but that failed as well. It seems that flashplayer has it's own set of sound related problems as well, and the only site I -really- want sound from is www.pandora.com
, a flash-driven site. Tears.
So far, by just the trial and error of toying with settings, I managed to get the 'Test Sound' button to work. Boy that sound is scratchy and nasty though, and worse than that, still no sound for Firefox/Flash. Double-tears.