Well, heres my WHOLE HOW TO on instaling nvidia drivers, so u can make sure u did it right, and/or just show u my whole how to.
NOTE: Make sure u have ur kernel source installed.
1. Download drivers from www.nvidia.com
2. go into root. (I dont think it works by just typing su, I believe u NEED to be in root, its like u cant use lsmod when u "su")
3. Go into ur terminal, which is your START button - system tools - terminal, and type "init 3" .
4. cd into the directory where u downloaded the drivers (ie. /home/fourevilmonkies/)
5. type "sh ./NVID" then press tab to finish the rest.
6. When done, type "startx". And ur xserver should start.
7. go into a terminal, and type this. (I use gedit, it comes with gnome, kde comes with kwrite, just so u know) "#: gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" your config should pop up.
8. Scroll down to "section modules" and make sure Load "glx" is in ther, and make sure Load "GLcore" and "dri" are not. It should look like this....
9. Then scroll down to section "device". And where it says drive change it so it says "nvidia" and not "nv" or "vesa". This should look something like this...
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS (generic)"
Hope this helps.
PS: I dont know if u know how to do this or not, so forgive me if u think I thought u were an idiot at linux, I just dont know u. :]
For some reason--I get this I dont know about others-- when u change ur video resolution settings, or color depth, ur nvidia module BREAKS, and ur xorg.conf goes back to what it was before u edited it, and u might have to reinstall, if changing the driver back to nvidia FAILS. My suggestion is, if ur going to game alot, change ur color depth, and screen res, thats the section BELOW Section "Device" to how u want it to be. So u dont have to go throught the shi* I went to change my resolution, and color depth. PEACE! =D