LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Rishabh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: India
Distribution: LFS, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
LFS-7.1 usb keyboard not detected


Hello,

I have just completed building LFS 7.1. I have also build KDE 4.8 according to BLFS instructions. Now coming to the problem, my usb keyboard is not working neither in console nor in KDE. It works only in grub menu after that when kernel loads it does not response.

Additional information:
1) I am using kernel 3.2.6
2) usbhid, hid, usbcore and EHCI_HCD are build into kernel image.
3) Earlier i was using PS2 keyboard with PS2 mouse they were working without problem but later when i replaced PS2 keyboard with usb keyboard above problem occurred.
4) I am using udev-181

I don't understand what is the problem have searched google hundred times.

Thanking you in Advance
 
Old 08-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
druuna
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishabh View Post
I have just completed building LFS 7.1. I have also build KDE 4.8 according to BLFS instructions. Now coming to the problem, my usb keyboard is not working neither in console nor in KDE. It works only in grub menu after that when kernel loads it does not response.

Additional information:
1) I am using kernel 3.2.6
2) usbhid, hid, usbcore and EHCI_HCD are build into kernel image.
3) Earlier i was using PS2 keyboard with PS2 mouse they were working without problem but later when i replaced PS2 keyboard with usb keyboard above problem occurred.
4) I am using udev-181
First thing that comes to mind: Are all those kernel options static or modular? They need to be static. LFS doesn't use initrd, so make sure all that is needed during the boot process is build statically.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Rishabh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: India
Distribution: LFS, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by druuna View Post
First thing that comes to mind: Are all those kernel options static or modular? They need to be static. LFS doesn't use initrd, so make sure all that is needed during the boot process is build statically.
Hi,
I don't understand by static build but usbhid, hid, usbcore and EHCI_HCD are not build as module but are built in compressed vmlinuz kernel image.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
druuna
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishabh View Post
I don't understand by static build but usbhid, hid, usbcore and EHCI_HCD are not build as module but are built in compressed vmlinuz kernel image.
Did you use a * or an M to select them:
Code:
Device Drivers  --->
   [*] HID Devices  --->
      <*>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
   [*] USB support  --->
      {*}   Support for Host-side USB
Are the bold blue parts a star (*) as shown in the above example, or an M, like this:
Code:
      {M}   Support for Host-side USB
* means build statically, the M means modular. I hope you now understand, so back to my original question: Are all those kernel options static or modular? They need to be static.

One other thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishabh View Post
Now coming to the problem, my usb keyboard is not working neither in console nor in KDE. It works only in grub menu after that when kernel loads it does not response.
Just to make sure: You are talking about the CLI in runlevel 3 when you say console and not a terminal started from KDE?
 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Rishabh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: India
Distribution: LFS, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
means build statically, the M means modular. I hope you now understand, so back to my original question: Are all those kernel options static or modular? They need to be static.
Yes they are all static ( * ) none of them is modular.

Quote:
One other thing:
Just to make sure: You are talking about the CLI in runlevel 3 when you say console and not a terminal started from KDE?
Yes console that i am talking is CLI in runlevel 3 not the KDE terminal.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
druuna
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374Reputation: 2374
My second guess would be that you are missing an option. Pointing you to a specific one is a bit hard not knowing what you have(n't) enabled and your specific hardware.

Are you able to (remotely?) log into that LFS machine and fetch log files and/or execute commands?
If so:
- The output of dmesg after a (re)boot would be nice to see,
- Output of both lsusb and lspci would also be nice.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
turtleli
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware 64, Slackware ARM, Gentoo, Fedora
Posts: 160

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Have you tried:
- a different USB port?
- enabling OHCI_HCD or UHCI_HCD as well?

For one of my Slackware desktops at my university, I needed to enable both ehci_hcd and uhci_hcd to get all the USB ports working. It may well be that you need to do something similar.
 
Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Rishabh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: India
Distribution: LFS, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,

Problem is solved thanku "turtleli" and "druuna".

Quote:
Have you tried:
- a different USB port?
- enabling OHCI_HCD or UHCI_HCD as well?
by turtleli
I just enabled OHCI_HCD keyboard is working......... thanku
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB Keyboard not detected while booting ranganathanb Linux - Hardware 4 07-03-2007 06:08 PM
USB Keyboard not detected during Kudzu anandjun Linux - Newbie 4 04-04-2007 07:37 PM
usb mouse NOT detected, but usb keyboard IS detected mr.anderson Slackware 16 04-26-2006 10:09 PM
USB keyboard not detected during install... Fernando534 Linux - General 1 09-30-2004 09:39 PM
usb keyboard not detected nixnoobie Slackware 5 12-02-2003 09:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration