Linux - DistributionsThis forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on...
Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Well, I downloaded the 9.1 Personal iso and installed that. Was running
good but slow. Found that if you use "acpi=off" when you are booting it
helps. So.. I went ahead and downloaded the updates from FTP to get the
stuff that is not supplied with personal. Downloaded around 7gb of files..
Once the update was completed, I rebooted, and now none of the YaST2
modules will load. If I'm in YaST directly I click on the module and they
say "Starting module xxxx" at the bottom of the window. It goes away, and
nothing ever loads.
If I'm in the Control Center > YaST > any section > any module.. I enter
"Administrator mode" it says "Loading..." for a while, then switches to
"YaST2 is starting up" and hangs there indefinately.
I am an ultra newbie at this. This is my first linux install. I am
currently a Systems/Network Engineer for the company I work for, and I've
been totally humbled by this. Any idea what may be wrong? I'm not even
sure where to start.
Also, they system seems to be running much slower (loading windows) now after the updates even with the "acpi=off" command
This is on a Dell Optiplex gx240 2.4ghz box.
I checked the swap file size with "free", and it appears to be 1gb. (I
didn't change it, that how it was from install.)
Well, I tried to install it, and I get this:
sykikchimp@dhcppc7:~> rpm -ivh /home/sykikchimp/popt-1.7-176.3.i586.rpm
error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
I'm not sure what that message is about. Are you logged in as root?
If you are and are still getting that try restarting or closing all other applications and try it again. I'm pretty new to most of this stuff myself, so if that doesn't work you may want to ask in another post what that error about an exclusive lock is.
I think I did a rpm -Uvh filename.rpm
I'm not sure if that matters either. I'm not at a linux machine now, but I think U is upgrade, v is verbose, and h is hash marks.
You may also try running rpm from the directory where the rpms are saved.
Last edited by ithawtewrong; 08-24-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Funny thing. I had it reoccur tonight.
I was installing an application and it asked for my install disc again. I put it in and it installed something very fast, but I think it was a gnome interface for Yast.
I tried to load Yast afterwards and nothing launched it just clocked.
I did each package separately this time and retried Yast. It appears that after the Yast2Core and Yast2Ncurses install it worked again.
If you saves you some download time try them first.
I must admit its kinda weird behavior. I use KDE by default so I'm not sure why it wants to install this gnome stuff.
Originally I had reinstalled ALL of the packages that had Yast in the name. I know, there are a lot of them.
The issue I had last night was resolved by reinstalling only the two I listed in my last post.
I wish I could help you more, but I'm kinda at a loss at this point. I guess you could go ahead and do the others, hopefully you've got a broadband connection.