LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Poll: UNIX is better than WINDOWS
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
UNIX is better than WINDOWS

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

what?HELLO.i am UNIX. the best!
whooa, wait a minute. Windows is BETTER than UNIX
hoo-boy..i don't like both.
errr...i don't know, what is UNIX afterall?
windows?never heard of it...

Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #4201
crts
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,604

Rep: Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv502 View Post
I think it's because Kenny and I were insulting microsoft and windows.
NO!
It is not because you were insulting microsoft. It started when Mr. Strawn made that stupid
MS == NS
comparison. Again. There is no excuse for that.

You, OTH, kept insisting that you have been treated unfairly by other LQ members. Which is actually not true. Nobody asked you to apologize your dislike of MS. Nobody said that ranting against microsoft is a "crime", as you put it. All that was directed at you was that you behave in an immature manner. And you have been proving this up to now. You rant without giving any arguments for your views. So basically you are ranting for no reason.
All this seems just like a plea for attention to me.
 
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #4202
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Rep: Reputation: 55
Okay, sorry. What I meant was "Microsoc".
 
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #4203
dv502
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: USA - NYC
Distribution: Whatever icon you see!
Posts: 642

Rep: Reputation: 57
I only associate microsoft with greed and a monoploy. Nothing more.
And I make fun of it.

People who hate M$ will have there own interpretation of the company.

What Kenny did with the malicious code and his personal view of MS is his business.

Last edited by dv502; 09-19-2010 at 11:29 PM.
 
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #4204
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 13 , MacPup,Linux-Lite 2.0, SaliX
Posts: 2,853
Blog Entries: 18

Rep: Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913
Whew. Lots of pages since my post.

@leapord. Freudian Slip
Quote:
n.
A verbal mistake that is thought to reveal a repressed belief, thought, or emotion.
> Instead of saying Kenny or dv502 to be specific. You say "You guys". Kinda like "You People". Makes you sound like a outsider to me.

Hall Monitor Which to me looks like what you are doing posting all the rules and regulations because your feelers got hurt (guessing here).

If one looks at my other posts. They actually deal with definite reasons (with links) on Linux vs Windows. Like
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...6-004-35-NW-MS



Happy Trails, Rok
 
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #4205
dv502
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: USA - NYC
Distribution: Whatever icon you see!
Posts: 642

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by crts View Post
You rant without giving any arguments for your views. So basically you are ranting for no reason.
All this seems just like a plea for attention to me.
Yes, I ranted without providing arguments at this present time. But I don't do that all the time. Sometimes the flow of the conversation will deter me which way to respond. If the person I am debating with is civil I will be civil too.

Evidence in the past will showed I was civil and made some arguments with points and links as well.

And evidence will show there are times when I just flat out rant on windows relentlessly with no arguments just to make that person angry because s/he made me angry.

Last edited by dv502; 09-20-2010 at 12:29 AM.
 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #4206
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,633
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
It is not your job or my job to tell someone not to post something or that something they post is wrong.
Check out what Pixel says here (the last line):
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...7/#post4065251
 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #4207
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 4
Posts: 4,305

Rep: Reputation: 205Reputation: 205Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv502 View Post
@ {BBI}Nexus{BBI} , MrCode

Wait a minute!

You are confusing me with Kenny.

What malicious code are you talking about?

I never done anything of such. All I did was insulting microsoft and windows and nothing more...
My comment was not directed at you. The guilty party know who they are.
 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #4208
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishakaul View Post
Check out what Pixel says here (the last line):
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...7/#post4065251
Which is why I said it is our job to report someone who we feel violates the rules. Me, if it were someone new or I thought might not know the rules for some reason, I would likely post that I feel they are violating the rules, ONCE. I wouldn't do it to shut someone else up tho. They could feel free to edit their post, apologize and say they didn't know or ignore it all together. If they did it again, then I wouldn't post anything else unless it was that I reported the bad post. No need of a post being reported by a dozen people at the same time.

Two things tho, I haven't seen where anyone violated the rules other than the one a few days ago that was taken care of by a moderator. So, there was nothing to report that I saw since that.

Also, if someone sees something that they really think violates the rules and they do say something and it continues, that is when it needs to be reported. No need to whine about it and keep posting the rules or whatever. Just report it and be done with it.

On the other hand, if a person makes a post that clearly violates the rules no matter how I read the post, then it gets reported. That's why this site has moderators and admins. They are the ones that can remedy the problem quickly and edit or delete if needed.

My point was this, if you, I or anyone else really thinks someone has violated the rules, report it. Posting that someone thinks the rules is being violated is fine but after one notice, report it, not 3, 4, 6 or 10 times. Only a moderator or a admin can put a complete stop to it anyway. A normal user can't do that. That's why it is their job. The admins and moderators are there for a reason. We can help them but we can't do what they can.

 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #4209
dv502
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: USA - NYC
Distribution: Whatever icon you see!
Posts: 642

Rep: Reputation: 57
@ onebuck
@ leopard
@ crts


You guys are not moderators. You are just members like me, with the exception of onebuck who is a Guru.

You're angry because I say things about microsoft that you don't agree with.

Everyone is protected by the Freedom of Speech in the United States. Which means we can express our views and opinions about most anything.

But, I wouldn't yell fire in a crowded theater.

If I want to say I hate microsoft and windows I can say so. I could say it here, in a computer store or at home. By law, I am Protected by the Freedom of Speech.

And just because a person debates in a certain way doesn't make them immature. A lot of us are not journalist or technical writers. You can expect all of us to write our posts looking like magazine or newspaper articles.

Well, that's it for now...

Last edited by dv502; 09-20-2010 at 02:06 AM.
 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #4210
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv502 View Post
@ onebuck
@ leopard
@ crts


You guys are not moderators. You are just members like me, with the exception of onebuck who is a Guru.

You're angry because I say things about microsoft that you don't agree with.

Everyone is protected by the Freedom of Speech in the United States. Which means we can express our views and opinions about most anything.

But, I wouldn't yell fire in a crowded theater.

If I want to say I hate microsoft and windows I can say so. I could say it here, in a computer store or at home. By law, I am Protected by the Freedom of Speech.

And just because a person debates in a certain way doesn't make them immature. A lot of us are not journalist or technical writers. You can expect all of us to write our posts looking like magazine or newspaper articles.

Well, that's it for now...
I agree that you have the freedom to say what you want 100%. Just keep in mind, you don't have a right to be a part of the forums. If I post something that violates the rules here and in a seriously bad way, I would be banned from this site. If you did the same, you would be too. Even a moderator saying something really bad would have to answer for it. Being a member of this forum is a privilege not a right. That speech may be protected by our laws but it won't keep a person, you, me or anyone else, from being banned from the site.

 
Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #4211
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,633
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897
Dale,

My point in posting that link was just to tell that it is not always that someone breaks the rules, e.g. "dv502" who was constantly posting attention seeking comments, even when no one was pointing fingers at him (at least in previous 2-3 pages) !
Such kind of posts in this thread do not break rules, but still they help in cluttering the thread.
In these cases the Pixel's sayings come to rescue !

and yes you are right when you say that if someone is *breaking rules* for the second time, he should be reported, there is no point in showing him the rules again and again !

But still I would do it the *third* time rather than the second time (he should be given some benefit of doubt )

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 09-20-2010 at 02:07 AM.
 
Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #4212
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishakaul View Post
Dale,

My point in posting that link was just to tell that it is not always that someone breaks the rules, e.g. "dv502" who was constantly posting attention seeking comments, even when no one was pointing fingers at him (at least in previous 2-3 pages) !
Such kind of posts in this thread do not break rules, but still they help in cluttering the thread.
In these cases the Pixel's sayings come to rescue !

and yes you are right when you say that if someone is *breaking rules* for the second time, he should be reported, there is no point in showing him the rules again and again !

But still I would do it the *third* time rather than the second time (he should be given some benefit of doubt )
I don't have to much of a problem with that though some can be handled through a private message instead of in the thread. It mostly depends on what was posted. If a person posts they are going to hunt down and kill someone, something terribly offensive or that is a serious violation of the rules, they should be reported at once. If it is a clear violation but not posing a imminent threat of harm then yea, post something, twice if you think the person is replying and catching on but after that, there really needs to be someone outside the discussion to "moderate."

I always try to keep in mind that we are reading text. It is really hard to tell when someone is serious, kidding, being sarcastic, joking or just trying to get more information and sort of nudging more discussion. This thread is a place where a lot of that can happen. We all have opinions. I don't like windows. Never have, never will. I don't like the way M$ does business either. I also think the biggest reason for the gates foundation is a guilty conscious. That's my opinion. You can take that as a joke and roll in the floor laughing until a lung comes up or you can take it seriously or just think I am completely nuts. It's not a threat and it is my opinion. It doesn't violate the rules either. It's not offensive, after all this is a Linux forum, it's not vulgar or anything of the sort. So, some may not agree but it is OK to post it.

Now, let's bash windoze some more. Isn't that what this thread is supposed to be about anyway?

 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #4213
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
Whew. Lots of pages since my post.

@leapord. Freudian Slip > Instead of saying Kenny or dv502 to be specific. You say "You guys". Kinda like "You People". Makes you sound like a outsider to me.

Hall Monitor Which to me looks like what you are doing posting all the rules and regulations because your feelers got hurt (guessing here).

If one looks at my other posts. They actually deal with definite reasons (with links) on Linux vs Windows. Like
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...6-004-35-NW-MS


Happy Trails, Rok
In the United States, the phrase "You guys" and it's variants indicate a communal mutuality in friendship when referring to a group of people whom which you are acquainted with. It's also somewhat slang, very informal and casual. If I would have role playing as a moderator there, I would have used a proper, formal address. When I said 'You guys went too far', I both referenced my own post and addressed everyone in saying 'went too far.' 'Too far' being beyond what I had intended, or thought would go. This means I thought that you my friends took my post beyond what I intended or wanted. There is no 'freudian slip' here, since from the very beginning of this quasi-flame war I have emphasized my more moderate position of tolerance against the more radical position of hate-flame against Microsoft. I am not role-playing as a moderator either, since I simply used the rules as a point of reference to discredit the hatemongers' zeal.
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #4214
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
I don't have to much of a problem with that though some can be handled through a private message instead of in the thread. It mostly depends on what was posted. If a person posts they are going to hunt down and kill someone, something terribly offensive or that is a serious violation of the rules, they should be reported at once. If it is a clear violation but not posing a imminent threat of harm then yea, post something, twice if you think the person is replying and catching on but after that, there really needs to be someone outside the discussion to "moderate."

I always try to keep in mind that we are reading text. It is really hard to tell when someone is serious, kidding, being sarcastic, joking or just trying to get more information and sort of nudging more discussion. This thread is a place where a lot of that can happen. We all have opinions. I don't like windows. Never have, never will. I don't like the way M$ does business either. I also think the biggest reason for the gates foundation is a guilty conscious. That's my opinion. You can take that as a joke and roll in the floor laughing until a lung comes up or you can take it seriously or just think I am completely nuts. It's not a threat and it is my opinion. It doesn't violate the rules either. It's not offensive, after all this is a Linux forum, it's not vulgar or anything of the sort. So, some may not agree but it is OK to post it.

Now, let's bash windoze some more. Isn't that what this thread is supposed to be about anyway?

Indeed, you hold a more rational view of Microsoft though. dv502 and Kenny_Strawn have radicalized this general opinion and made it seem like Microsoft as a whole is some sort of devilish entity out to kill six million people via an annoying paperclip and a multicolored, wavy window. Then they mobilize this via posting malicious code, and perpetuating a flame war with inflammatory content and misguided hatred.

All you do is say "I don't prefer the Windows OS, and do believe that Microsoft isn't acting in the best interest of consumers." Which is a fine opinion to have and perfectly acceptable!

Last edited by lupusarcanus; 09-20-2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Fixed errors, added additional comments.
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 AM   #4215
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
Indeed, you hold a more rational view of Microsoft though. dv502 and Kenny_Strawn have radicalized this general opinion and made it seem like Microsoft as a whole is some sort of devilish entity out to kill six million people via an annoying paperclip and a multicolored, wavy window.
Well, if it meant making a buck, nothing would surprise me. Their biggest question would be this: "could we get away with it"? If they could answer yes, then who knows. They sure have done a lot to get where they are and we most likely don't know half of it. I think that is where the guilty conscious comes in.

Even after the huge lawsuit several years ago, they still made money. They didn't lose anything. Heck, they even had some good spin to make themselves feel all huggy and warm inside.

I'm not saying the other posts are right or wrong. I'm just saying they are opinions that anyone can agree with or disagree with.

 
  


Closed Thread

Tags
business, kenny's_playground, microsoft, register, technical, windows, worm, wtf


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux-windows Dual boot question when upgrading from windows 2000 to XP sarikalinux Linux - Newbie 1 03-09-2006 03:21 PM
Solution Dual Boot Windows & Linux [ALL DONE IN WINDOWS] No Linux terminology DSargeant Linux - Newbie 35 02-07-2006 04:29 PM
Solution Dual Boot Windows & Linux [ALL DONE IN WINDOWS] No Linux terminology DSargeant Linux - Newbie 4 11-10-2005 12:37 PM
Red Hat Linux 9 + Windows Server 2003 + Windows XP + Fedora in same domain wolfy339 Linux - Networking 5 03-02-2005 07:03 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration