Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
PS/edit.: renamed the title as it's really something that makes more sense from within scripts, not from the command line itself. Unless perhaps one makes a wrapper script that edits smplayer.ini with whatever parameters are set by command line and resets afterwards, while still somehow preserving smplayer's own syntax, if that's even possible.
Apparently the best way to go is to dinamically edit or switch/rename the smplayer.ini file, in the following...
I'm not suggesting it's really preferable in any situation or in any specific situation, I just found myself in a "what the hell" point and thought it worth a try, and it worked.
I was just thinking that it would be nice that for slideshow videos there was a variable frame rate, and turns out that it exist. I've found that the program handbrake can handle that easily, so I decided to install. Unfortunatelly it's only on Debians unnofficial multimedia repository, which can...
I don't get it. It wasn't like it inspired someone to say that it's the GUI that one ever dreamed about, but was fully functional, and funnily enough more reliable than all the alternative GUIs that used mplayer as a back-end, as far as I've looked at. I guess the decision eventually resulted in a (current to me at least) problem with subtitles/fontconfig, as subtitles will work on mplayer and mplayer2, but not on gmplayer, even though it never used to be that way before.
Few days ago I've built a new gentoo environment: my previous system became a junkyard, so I ended up rebuilding it. First thing I've tested, is how it runs HD.
To mention entire list of updates:
Old system: Linux 184.108.40.206 x86_64 [amd64], nvidia-drivers 260.19.29, libx264 0.0.20101029(portage), mplayer 1.0_rc4_p20100612(--version gives SVN-r30554-4.4.3), vlc 1.1.4.
New system: Linux 220.127.116.11 x86_64 [amd64], nvidia-drivers 260.19.36, libx264 0.0.20110223(portage), mplayer...
I've been a VLC media player user for a long time. But some funny thing happened when I upgraded my gentoo and VLC started lagging extremely hard. I tried everything: from downgrading codec libraries to removing ~/.vlc : nothing helped. The problem was when I was trying to watch DVDs and some avi files, it shown "buffering" on every frame, and, of course, I had a hang of few seconds every time. I've decided to try mplayer, as many people told me it's teh best.
So I emerged mplayer...