SUSE / openSUSEThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm upgrading from SuSE 9.1, sendmail 8.12.10, saslauthd 2.1.18 to SuSE 10.0, sendmail 8.13.4, saslauthd 2.1.21 on a new machine so they're both running now (when the old one doesn't crash, which it does frequently).
On the old system, I've been running SMTP AUTH set up using Jon Fullmer's directions (Google "fullmer smtp auth" to find the page). On the new system, it doesn't work.
According to the output of <sendmail -d0.11>, both versions are compiled with the same options. (I'm using SuSE's builds.) And <saslauthd /status> says both saslauthd executables have the same suite of auth mechanisms (plus LDAP for the newer one).
I've run <saslauthd -d> on both systems. On the old system, when you telnet into sendmail by hand and do AUTH LOGIN, saslauthd writes to the terminal with a few lines status info as your authentication progresses. On the new system, there's no output so I conclude that sendmail is not communicating with saslauthd. Yes, I have the proper /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf file with the line "pwcheck_method: saslauthd" on both systems. On the new system, I can run <testsaslauthd> and authenticate a user and see the -d debug info on the screen even though sendmail can't seem to connect to that same saslauthd process when I run it.
I've got the standard LOGIN PLAIN lines in linux.mc: