LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #16
cwwilson721
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: In my house.
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, Slackware 13.1 64-bit
Posts: 2,649
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 66

That's exactly what I do.

As for the overwrite, I was talking about 'make install', NOT your script....
 
Old 06-17-2006, 11:23 PM   #17
evilDagmar
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Distribution: NBG, then randomed.
Posts: 480

Rep: Reputation: 31
Again, no, it does not do this when /sbin/installkernel is present. If there's no executeable /sbin/installkernel script it will do this, but I was explicitly referring to the case where /sbin/installkernel is present.

If you were talking about the case when no /sbin/installkernel script is present, then you shouldn't have done it in reply to my explanation of how to use the /sbin/installkernel script to speed things along.
 
Old 06-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #18
cwwilson721
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: In my house.
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, Slackware 13.1 64-bit
Posts: 2,649
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 66
But 'make install' will still work, whether or not YOUR script is present, correct?

It is called a 'warning' for a reason.

Let us assume they d/l your script, and copy it to /sbin.

Let us also assume that it does not get chmod to an executable.

Let us assume that they type 'make install' in the kernel source directory.

What happens then?

Take it as a warning, a just in case, a possibilty.

There was NO attempt to slight you, your script, or anything of the sort. Lighten up.

It was a warning. Just in case.

I do apologize that I did not make this clear ('make install' will work without your script, and the following results)in my first post.

However, it can, and does, happen.
 
Old 06-17-2006, 11:43 PM   #19
Stik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Distribution: Slackware / Dropline Gnome
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: 15
See Pats little creatures with big noses and green feet are out again :|
 
Old 06-17-2006, 11:49 PM   #20
evilDagmar
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Distribution: NBG, then randomed.
Posts: 480

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson721
But 'make install' will still work, whether or not YOUR script is present, correct?
Yes, but, again, this has nothing to do with my script, so it's not appropriate for you to quote what little documentation is necessary for it and cite that as if it were a problem with the script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson721
It is called a 'warning' for a reason.
In some circles it could also be called a non sequitur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson721
Let us assume they d/l your script, and copy it to /sbin.

Let us also assume that it does not get chmod to an executable.

Let us assume that they type 'make install' in the kernel source directory.

What happens then?
With the amount of momentum all those assumptions have built up, I figure there's probably room for still more assumptions.

We could just as easily assume that they might well be running these commands from /usr/src/mysql-4.1.19 and are wondering why they've got no vmlinuz file and the menuconfig target didn't work.

We could actually also assume that their house might be on fire, or at this very moment aliens may be poised above it in a cloaked starship, oiling up their new Probulator 3000, in which case a befouled kernel is soon to be the very least of their problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson721
Take it as a warning, a just in case, a possibilty.

There was NO attempt to slight you, your script, or anything of the sort. Lighten up.

It was a warning. Just in case.

I do apologize that I did not make this clear ('make install' will work without your script, and the following results)in my first post.

However, it can, and does, happen.
Well then don't quote and highlight material that doesn't bear on what you're saying. The whole thing comes off as nearly mystifying, since the whole point of the /sbin/installkernel script is to keep a blind overwrite from happening (and to stop lilo whining about the lack of a -p).
 
Old 06-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #21
cwwilson721
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: In my house.
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, Slackware 13.1 64-bit
Posts: 2,649
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 66
Read the whole post. It is about compiling the kernel.
The OP wanted to compile their kernel.
I pointed out a possible pitfall.
You got all puckered up.
Read my sig about arrogance and perfection.
Lighten up.
 
Old 06-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #22
evilDagmar
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Distribution: NBG, then randomed.
Posts: 480

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson721
Read the whole post. It is about compiling the kernel.
The OP wanted to compile their kernel.
I pointed out a possible pitfall.
You got all puckered up.
Read my sig about arrogance and perfection.
Lighten up.
You made a post that gave the appearance that what I was suggesting was flawed in a very specific way. You were wrong and you're too bull-headed to admit it. If you were merely posting a "warning" as you claim, there would have been no need to quote my post in the manner that you did.

So... you can just bite me.
 
Old 06-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #23
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Debian Testing
Posts: 19,192
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Aaaaaand, peace out. Calm down people - this is a help forum not a hissy forum. I think we can all agree that we have been warned and then, if problems arise, we all know where to come for help with the problem.

Yes?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-read Partition Table sourceman Linux - General 11 01-10-2008 04:31 AM
Setup does not read partition table johnfw7 Slackware 3 03-09-2006 12:32 PM
FC4 Install error - cannot re-read partition table praveen_143 Fedora - Installation 0 12-28-2005 02:59 PM
Mandrake 10 install can't read partition table chessh Mandriva 7 03-14-2004 08:35 PM
LFS compiled kernel can't read partition table curtdodds Linux From Scratch 6 08-05-2003 09:50 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration