LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #331
aragorn2101
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: Mauritius
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 546

Rep: Reputation: 270Reputation: 270Reputation: 270

Hi,

If anyone is interested, I have a build script for CUDA 10.

I recently got a new GPU (the very cool NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition; sorry I'm a geek ) to work with at the university and I had to upgrade to CUDA 10 in order to access all the hardware features available.

So, had to write my own CUDA build script since the SlackBuilds.org CUDA is at 8.0.61 and much have changed since.
You can check out the CUDA build script here: https://github.com/aragorn2101/Slack...er/cudatoolkit
I used the 430.34 driver as the SlackBuilds.org driver was a little bit behind when I was working on this, but I think any 430.xx driver will work.

The CUDA version is 10.1.168, but feel free to modify the script and adapt to your needs. For example, there is a new 10.1.243 toolkit which might need a test.

The CUDA runfiles have names like "cuda_10.1.243_418.87.00_linux.run". It means that they include the driver 418.87 within and it does not mean that it will not work with drivers 430.xx or higher.

Cheers
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #332
guanx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,068

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn2101 View Post
Hi,
//snip

The CUDA runfiles have names like "cuda_10.1.243_418.87.00_linux.run". It means that they include the driver 418.87 within and it does not mean that it will not work with drivers 430.xx or higher.

Cheers
Does cuda_10.1.243 work with gcc 9.2 (while the officially supported gcc versions are 8.x and below)?

Sorry but I just happened to have all my computers with NVIDIA GPUs in production use or I'll have tried gcc-9.2 by myself.
I can only tell that gcc 8.3 and 7.4 work well with it.
 
Old 08-26-2019, 04:15 AM   #333
aragorn2101
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: Mauritius
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 546

Rep: Reputation: 270Reputation: 270Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanx View Post
Does cuda_10.1.243 work with gcc 9.2 (while the officially supported gcc versions are 8.x and below)?

Sorry but I just happened to have all my computers with NVIDIA GPUs in production use or I'll have tried gcc-9.2 by myself.
I can only tell that gcc 8.3 and 7.4 work well with it.
Yes, Nvidia confirms this in their documentation: https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-in...nux/index.html.

As far as I can tell, it does not work with versions 9 of gcc, for now at least. At first, I had to upgrade the kernel on Slackware 14.2 since the 4.4.189 kernel does not have support for my IntelGraphics. I took the kernel from Current, and also upgrade gcc to the 9.x.x that Current had. Turned out that nvcc wouldn't work. I saw this in the past with CUDA 8 as well and it is usually because the in-built CUDA compiler is mismatched with your machine's gcc and glibc. If Nvidia released the complete source of their compiler we could have recompiled everything using the new gcc, but that's not the case.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #334
guanx
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,068

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn2101 View Post
Yes, Nvidia confirms this in their documentation: https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-in...nux/index.html.

As far as I can tell, it does not work with versions 9 of gcc, for now at least. At first, I had to upgrade the kernel on Slackware 14.2 since the 4.4.189 kernel does not have support for my IntelGraphics. I took the kernel from Current, and also upgrade gcc to the 9.x.x that Current had. Turned out that nvcc wouldn't work. I saw this in the past with CUDA 8 as well and it is usually because the in-built CUDA compiler is mismatched with your machine's gcc and glibc. If Nvidia released the complete source of their compiler we could have recompiled everything using the new gcc, but that's not the case.
Probably more complicated than recompiling the source. Working as a preprocessor, nvcc has to support new syntax introduced with the new version of gcc and libstdc++, if any.

The safe solution seems now to be installing an older version along with gcc-9, and specify -ccbin on the nvcc command line.
 
Old 08-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #335
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" & Xfce.
Posts: 4,866

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268
435.21

Nvidia has released their Latest "Short Lived Branch" driver, version 435.21.

The release highlights and a download link can be found at,

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/150803/en-us
 
Old 08-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #336
garpu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 373

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
435.19.02 (Vulkan beta)

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

They released a vulkan beta driver rebased around the 435 series, too. I've been using it for about an hour on current and no issues. (Works with No Man's Sky! The older vulkan beta driver didn't.)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #337
system001
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2018
Location: Portland Oregon Canada
Distribution: Kubuntu 19.04 - Manjaro 18.0
Posts: 199

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by garpu View Post
435.19.02 (Vulkan beta)

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

They released a vulkan beta driver rebased around the 435 series, too. I've been using it for about an hour on current and no issues. (Works with No Man's Sky! The older vulkan beta driver didn't.)

do you by chance know how long it usually is before the official vulkan driver comes out?
 
Old 08-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #338
garpu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 373

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by system001 View Post
do you by chance know how long it usually is before the official vulkan driver comes out?
Not sure? I know things do get merged, because the 430 series worked fine for dxvk (the vulkan translation of dx11 for WINE.)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 PM   #339
RadicalDreamer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 979

Rep: Reputation: 472Reputation: 472Reputation: 472Reputation: 472Reputation: 472
I have playback issues (video pausing when starting video or jumping to a different position in the video with odd playback behavior for a few seconds when it starts back) with UltraHD video files I grabbed off YouTube with the 435.19.02 and 435.21 drivers.
Here is the video information regarding one of the videos in question:
Code:
Stream 1 - CUVID decoder, OpenGL 4.6 CUVID
codec: vp9
size: 3840x2160
aspect ratio: 1.77778
FPS: 30
format: yuv420p
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:08 AM   #340
system001
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2018
Location: Portland Oregon Canada
Distribution: Kubuntu 19.04 - Manjaro 18.0
Posts: 199

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
I have playback issues (video pausing when starting video or jumping to a different position in the video with odd playback behavior for a few seconds when it starts back) with UltraHD video files I grabbed off YouTube with the 435.19.02 and 435.21 drivers.
Here is the video information regarding one of the videos in question:
Code:
Stream 1 - CUVID decoder, OpenGL 4.6 CUVID
codec: vp9
size: 3840x2160
aspect ratio: 1.77778
FPS: 30
format: yuv420p
really something for another thread.
 
Old 08-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #341
RadicalDreamer
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 979

Rep: Reputation: 472Reputation: 472Reputation: 472Reputation: 472Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by system001 View Post
really something for another thread.
I'm just letting people know that there is a bug in the new drivers because the 418 and 430 drivers work fine. If I made another thread it would be in the NVIDIA forum complaining about this issue.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #342
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" & Xfce.
Posts: 4,866

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
I have playback issues (video pausing when starting video or jumping to a different position in the video with odd playback behavior for a few seconds when it starts back) with UltraHD video files I grabbed off YouTube with the 435.19.02 and 435.21 drivers.
Here is the video information regarding one of the videos in question:
Code:
Stream 1 - CUVID decoder, OpenGL 4.6 CUVID
codec: vp9
size: 3840x2160
aspect ratio: 1.77778
FPS: 30
format: yuv420p
Thanks for the heads up!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #343
kingbeowulf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 Slackware 14.2, Slackware{32,64}-current
Posts: 904
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378
For those of you not on the SBo mail list:

I've posted the SBo updates to nvidia-430.50, the long lived branch. Please note that this update will not yet work properly on Slackware-current. Also:

Mats reminded me of a Nvidia post from 2018 for Nvidia driver
end-of-life schedule:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/3142

In summary:

nvidia-legacy304 304.137 EOL 2017 no further updates
nvidia-legacy340 340.107 EOL 2019 in pending
nvidia-legacy390 390.129 EOL 2022 released

nvidia-legacy304 is UNMAINTAINED. I will treat bug reports as
"Deprecated; won't fix".

nvidia-legacy340 is also UNMAINTAINED, since Nvidia has not released a
fix for recent kernel compile issues. Mats sent me a patch (also on 2 other threads here on LQ). I will attempt updates as time
permits with SBo community assistance until December 31, 2019.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #344
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" & Xfce.
Posts: 4,866

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268Reputation: 2268
Nvidia's latest "Long Lived Branch," version 430.50, has been released and
can be found here, https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/

Release highlight:
Quote:
Fixed display color range handling on pre-Turing GPUs, such that when limited color range is selected through the display controls page in nvidia-settings, output pixel values will be correctly clamped to Consumer Technology Association (CTA) range.
 
  


Reply

Tags
nvidia


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: NVIDIA Launches a New Stable Driver for Linux Users, Latest Kernels Supported LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-11-2014 05:34 PM
[SOLVED] How do I install Nvidia latest driver on Ubuntu 10.10? volt220 Linux - Newbie 3 04-24-2012 11:42 AM
Enable SLI on latest nvidia driver don_wombat_73 Linux - Hardware 2 10-13-2008 04:55 AM
How do I install the latest Nvidia Driver captaincaveman Linux - Software 2 05-03-2004 11:26 PM
How do I remove latest nvidia driver? - Suse 8.2 ford Linux - Hardware 3 01-18-2004 02:37 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration