LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
lord_
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2018
Distribution: Slackware -current
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
slackware-current breakage of MTP after [Wed May 23 04:42:29 UTC 2018] update


I'm on slackware64 current. I've done the "Wed May 23 04:42:29 UTC 2018" update on current and I'm having problems with MTP: my android device is hard disconnected while copying.
I tried to rebuild libmtp from sources, but it didn't help

from /var/log/messages:
Code:
May 23 13:08:27 zion kernel: [   46.290639] usb 1-7.2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
May 23 13:08:27 zion kernel: [   46.369821] usb 1-7.2: New USB device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=6764
May 23 13:08:27 zion kernel: [   46.369824] usb 1-7.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
May 23 13:08:27 zion kernel: [   46.369826] usb 1-7.2: Product: A0001
May 23 13:08:27 zion kernel: [   46.369828] usb 1-7.2: Manufacturer: OnePlus
May 23 13:08:27 zion kernel: [   46.369829] usb 1-7.2: SerialNumber: 6464d85d
May 23 13:08:37 zion kernel: [   55.551829] usb 1-7.2: USB disconnect, device number 5
May 23 13:08:37 zion kernel: [   55.813641] usb 1-7.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
May 23 13:08:37 zion kernel: [   55.892826] usb 1-7.2: New USB device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=6764
May 23 13:08:37 zion kernel: [   55.892829] usb 1-7.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
May 23 13:08:37 zion kernel: [   55.892831] usb 1-7.2: Product: A0001
May 23 13:08:37 zion kernel: [   55.892832] usb 1-7.2: Manufacturer: OnePlus
May 23 13:08:37 zion kernel: [   55.892833] usb 1-7.2: SerialNumber: 6464d85d
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [   99.657137] usb 1-7: USB disconnect, device number 4
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [   99.657139] usb 1-7.2: USB disconnect, device number 6
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [   99.766832] pool[8352]: segfault at 198 ip 00007f5e0203e340 sp 00007f5dee7fbe00 error 4 in libgvfsdaemon.so[7f5e02026000+26000]
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [   99.891637] usb 1-7: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.023976] usb 1-7: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0608
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.023979] usb 1-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.023980] usb 1-7: Product: USB2.0 Hub
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.024693] hub 1-7:1.0: USB hub found
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.024965] hub 1-7:1.0: 4 ports detected
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.298641] usb 1-7.2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-pci
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.377965] usb 1-7.2: New USB device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=6764
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.377967] usb 1-7.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.377969] usb 1-7.2: Product: A0001
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.377970] usb 1-7.2: Manufacturer: OnePlus
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [  100.377971] usb 1-7.2: SerialNumber: 6464d85d
from /var/log/syslog
Code:
May 23 13:09:21 zion kernel: [   99.657130] usb usb1-port7: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
 
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
the3dfxdude
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 563

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
I've given up on mtp. There have always been issues, and the last time I tried any program that supported it, none of them consistently worked. And I had crashes too.

I used this just a week ago. Standard protocol. Easy setup. Connect to wifi and start it, and you can use sshfs if you want.
https://f-droid.org/packages/org.primftpd/
 
Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
lord_
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2018
Distribution: Slackware -current
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dfxdude View Post
I've given up on mtp. There have always been issues, and the last time I tried any program that supported it, none of them consistently worked. And I had crashes too.

I used this just a week ago. Standard protocol. Easy setup. Connect to wifi and start it, and you can use sshfs if you want.
https://f-droid.org/packages/org.primftpd/
OK, that's an option that I already use. But when I'm moving my TWRP backup (>8.5GB) I still prefer cable transferring. It has a decent speed and it doesn't flood my network. MTP is definitely NOT a jewel, but I always used to use it smoothly (I think through gvfs and libmtp: I find my device on Thunar and just used it!). These errors are occurring after the latest slackware current update, so I think it could be related.
 
Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
DarkVision
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 189

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Did mtp work for you after May 1st update?
On May 1st there was a "fix" added to eudev to fix MTP with Kernel >= 4.12 and KDE. Maybe that fix broke mtp for you?

The original mtp problem seem to reported upstream (means systemd) here. So there might really be an issue with bind/unbind actions.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
lord_
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2018
Distribution: Slackware -current
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVision View Post
Did mtp work for you after May 1st update?
On May 1st there was a "fix" added to eudev to fix MTP with Kernel >= 4.12 and KDE. Maybe that fix broke mtp for you?

The original mtp problem seem to reported upstream (means systemd) here. So there might really be an issue with bind/unbind actions.
Yes, last time I used it was May 14th, and it worked as usual.

Last edited by lord_; 05-23-2018 at 04:37 PM.
 
Old 06-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,362

Rep: Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_ View Post
But when I'm moving my TWRP backup (>8.5GB) I still prefer cable transferring. It has a decent speed and it doesn't flood my network.
I know I'm a bit late to responding with this, but as with others, I've gotten annoyed with the inconsistencies with mtp. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... As others, I'll usually transfer things wirelessly, but I do agree that it isn't always ideal.

When I do need to transfer things using wired, I've actually switched to adb (stands for Android Debugging Bridge). It is a development tool used by Android developers to test various things. While adb can do a ton of things, I mainly use it for "push" and "pull". The first will push files from your computer to the phone, and the other pulls from the phone and puts them on the computer. If you want to grab your TWRP files, you should be able to run:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard/TWRP/
(I think, I'm not hooked up to verify my command).

The android-tools SlackBuild will give you a package that contains adb.
 
Old 06-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #7
lord_
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2018
Distribution: Slackware -current
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
I know I'm a bit late to responding with this, but as with others, I've gotten annoyed with the inconsistencies with mtp. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... As others, I'll usually transfer things wirelessly, but I do agree that it isn't always ideal.
Well, it seems the MTP problem solved by itself: I think that it can be device related. I'm using LineageOS on my Oneplus One, and after a few updates (they release a nighly every week), it simply disappeared.


Quote:
When I do need to transfer things using wired, I've actually switched to adb (stands for Android Debugging Bridge). It is a development tool used by Android developers to test various things. While adb can do a ton of things, I mainly use it for "push" and "pull". The first will push files from your computer to the phone, and the other pulls from the phone and puts them on the computer. If you want to grab your TWRP files, you should be able to run:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard/TWRP/
(I think, I'm not hooked up to verify my command).

The android-tools SlackBuild will give you a package that contains adb.
I know very well the android-tools: with a device like that, you'll better familiarize soon and good with adb & fastboot
But I'd like to avoid enabling and disabling adb all the time and the MTP simply did the jod (and do it again now).

I think the correct way to download a directory via ADB is
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/TWRP
Anyway, thank you all for your time and interest.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slackware-current breakage - imagemagick chrisVV Slackware 5 06-29-2018 06:57 AM
[SOLVED] slackware current Gimp Mon May 14 19:48:52 UTC 2018 Drakeo Slackware 3 05-15-2018 06:44 PM
Master Eric-wan Kenobi, your Plasma 5 was Nuked From Orbit(TM) after the updates in -current from Sun Apr 1 02:53:26 UTC 2018 Darth Vader Slackware 10 04-01-2018 05:34 PM
Update Current Sun Jan 17 07:24:08 UTC 2016 burdi01 Slackware 1 01-17-2016 11:14 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration