LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Southpaw76
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware-13
Posts: 146

Rep: Reputation: 15
Macromedia Flashplayer & Firefox...


Hello all,
I installed the Flashplayer plugin in Firefox and I noticed that when I installed the plugin the script states that this plugin requires ttfonts and urw-fonts....

Does this mean that....
a) I need to get these font packages and re-install this plugin or re-compile Firefox???
or,
b) Do I already have these font packages installed in the Slackware installation, and that is just a standard message, which lets me know that I have to re-configure Firefox after I install that plugin, or something???

....any suggestions???
 
Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
stormtracknole
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 1,142

Rep: Reputation: 158Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw76
Hello all,
I installed the Flashplayer plugin in Firefox and I noticed that when I installed the plugin the script states that this plugin requires ttfonts and urw-fonts....

Does this mean that....
a) I need to get these font packages and re-install this plugin or re-compile Firefox???
or,
b) Do I already have these font packages installed in the Slackware installation, and that is just a standard message, which lets me know that I have to re-configure Firefox after I install that plugin, or something???

....any suggestions???
What version of flash are you using? You can download the latest beta 9 release for linux at linuxpackages.net. Or, go to the macromedia website and dowload their gunzip file. Unpack it, and copy the libflashplayer.so file to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ directory. Hope this works!
 
Old 12-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Southpaw76
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware-13
Posts: 146

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Yeah, I grabbed the Flash Player version 7 that's available in the Firefox Themes & Extensions section. I did see the .tgz package for Flash 9 on Linuxpackages.net, however I have read that has problems with Firefox 2.

Yes, I'm using Firefox 2 and I'm wondering if there is any truth to that???
 
Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
stormtracknole
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 1,142

Rep: Reputation: 158Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw76
Yeah, I grabbed the Flash Player version 7 that's available in the Firefox Themes & Extensions section. I did see the .tgz package for Flash 9 on Linuxpackages.net, however I have read that has problems with Firefox 2.

Yes, I'm using Firefox 2 and I'm wondering if there is any truth to that???
I'm also using it with Firefox2. I haven't had any issues that i know off. I think you should be ok using it. You could always remove it from the plugin folder if it gives you problems.
 
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Sephiroth
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Distribution: Slackware 10.1
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
I was using flash 7 for linux and firefox 2 with no problems at all also. But for me the installer didn't work properly, even though it copied the files into the right directory, firefox still wouldn't use them. In the end I deleted them from the folder and copied them over myself manually. Worked like a charm.
 
Old 12-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Southpaw76
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware-13
Posts: 146

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Right, But did you get the same message that I got regarding ttfonts & urw-fonts???
 
Old 12-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Sephiroth
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Distribution: Slackware 10.1
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
it's been a long time but I'm sure I did, because it's in the main install script. I just continued anyway and slack must've figured it out. I have no problem with flash content on mozilla or firefox, which I later installed.
 
Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
gegechris99
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: France
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 64bit
Posts: 917
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
I installed the following package: Flashplugin 7.0.63.0.

http://www.slacky.it/index.php?optio...ileinfo&id=741

It works fine with firefox 2 on Slackware 11.0. I never got any message concerning ttfonts & urw-fonts??

Also to be able to hear sound with swf files in firefox, add your user to group audio
 
Old 12-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Southpaw76
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware-13
Posts: 146

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Well, here we go...
I installed the latest flash-beta from linuxpackages.net for Firefox_2 under Slackware_11 . All went well until my first true test. I went over to Maximonline.com, where in order to watch videos there it requires the latest version of Flash. So, when I did that, I clicked on a vid and Firefox froze up .

So my question is,
is this the correct solution to that problem...
Posted by: Ken Zalewski
Quote:
The installer places the Flash plugin under /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ because that directory is the central place for plugins that are Mozilla-based. The Firefox wrapper script sets MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ so that plugins for Firefox can be found there. If you are not using a Slackware-based Firefox package, then Firefox will not find plugins in that directory, and will only look in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/. In that case, you can create a symbolic link in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ that points to the Flash plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/.
I only ask before I try, in case anyone else has had to do it this way????
 
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
stormtracknole
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 1,142

Rep: Reputation: 158Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw76
Well, here we go...
I installed the latest flash-beta from linuxpackages.net for Firefox_2 under Slackware_11 . All went well until my first true test. I went over to Maximonline.com, where in order to watch videos there it requires the latest version of Flash. So, when I did that, I clicked on a vid and Firefox froze up .

So my question is,
is this the correct solution to that problem...
Posted by: Ken Zalewski

I only ask before I try, in case anyone else has had to do it this way????
If you are using Firefox 2.0, then you need to copy libflashplayer.so from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and paste it on /usr/lib/firefox/plugins. By default, the package from linuxpackages writes the file in the mozilla plugin folder. The new firefox version doesn't use that folder. Try that and see if it works.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
macromedia flashplayer wont work in Mozilla Firefox-2 Fedora Core 6 booridley72 Linux - Desktop 9 12-07-2006 11:48 PM
How to install Macromedia Flashplayer 8.0+ Version Ongeboren Ubuntu 4 11-14-2006 06:13 AM
Tips for installing MacroMedia FlashPlayer 7 in RedHat Linux 9.0 uma_mahesh_2005 Linux - Software 1 04-06-2006 02:37 AM
64-bit macromedia flashplayer?? sharkcatcher Linux - Software 4 08-20-2004 03:29 PM
How do I get Macromedia Flashplayer for Firefox? velibos Linux - Software 4 07-16-2004 08:46 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration