LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #31
orbea

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBrs View Post
Over here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...vn/x/mesa.html

I've included sources myself as well, you'll find the patch here:

http://floorenpj.xs4all.nl/slackware/src/mesa/patches/

I also rebuilt my 64-bit mesa package, which now does include glxinfo and glxgears.

Yes I read that. But I'm building on 14.2, which still has all these .la files. Even building libdrm without them is hard. The mesa-demos want to link to libGL, and apparently they expect mesa to ship with libGL.la for that purpose. But since version 19, mesa switched from an autotools build system, which generates .la files, to the meson build system , which doesn't produce these .la files. So, on a 14.2 system (probably because libGL.la is needlessly referenced somewhere on 14.2, and I couldn't be bothered to find out where exactly), the mesa-demos fail to build against mesa-19 and further on.

Funnily, if you build mesa 19.2.2 with an old mesa installed, the mesa-demos build will succeed because it will link against the old mesa libs.

For now, I've kept all the .la files in libdrm. I'll get rid of them when I switch to 15.0
Ah, I assume you were on current, my mistake.

I have two possible ideas on how you may work around this.

1. Build both libdrm and mesa with meson and maybe mesa-demos will stop complaining? Maybe you already tried this?
2. Use slibtool (At SBo) instead of GNU libtool included in Slackware, it does not depend on .la files and should not fail if the are missing. I would suggest using rclibtool or rlibtool as described in the README on 14.2. There are some packages that may not build with slibtool, but mesa-demos should not be one of them.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #32
recan

Distribution: Slackware64-15

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogan View Post
The bottleneck in your case is the 1Tb WD drive if that's what you're using. Get a SSD! You could
probably buy a new 120Gb-ish dirt cheap. It's plenty of room for your system if you use the old WD on your /home
The KDE desktop is a resource hogger and you should expect it to take a while to load because it's _big_ .
Once it's loaded, it should be pretty snappy though, at least if you disable the baloo desktop indexer file
content search ability.
The functionality and user experience in the new (plasma-5) desktop is second to none in my experience and you
_really_ should switch to it if KDE/fully featured desktops is your thing: http://slackware.uk/people/alien-kde/current/latest/
It will probably be included pretty soon anyway.
Thank you very very much , and yes I m using the WD as home, / partitions , I already installed the current version of slackware with Kde4 work very well no delay to load so till the new 15 be ready I will keep the current as my main linux distro .

now Time to ask for some explanations :
I installed Grub2 instead of lilo because Lilo fall back to safe mode every time I boot
the safe mode means that I have to write linux or windows in order to boot, is it safe to use Grub with future updates ?
in Grub menu i have an entry for 14.2 current wich is default and an other for advanced option for 14.2
an entry for windows
an entry for 14.2 current (post on 14.2 current )
and finally entry for advanced option

i find this strange because I have only slackware and windows .
is something wrong ?.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #33
Skaendo

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2

Quote:
The bottleneck in your case is the 1Tb WD drive if that's what you're using. Get a SSD! You could
probably buy a new 120Gb-ish dirt cheap. It's plenty of room for your system if you use the old WD on your /home
The KDE desktop is a resource hogger and you should expect it to take a while to load because it's _big_ .
Once it's loaded, it should be pretty snappy though, at least if you disable the baloo desktop indexer file
content search ability.
SSD's are not all that great.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #34
rogan

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 117Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by recan View Post
I installed Grub2 instead of lilo because Lilo fall back to safe mode every time I boot
the safe mode means that I have to write linux or windows in order to boot,
is it safe to use Grub with future updates
What you call safe mode is actually fallback text mode. The later AMD cards don't
play particularly well with fancy boot graphics. I don't know a fix, but all it
really means is that instead of Slackwares boot logo you get lilos boot menu with
a list of options that you can select with arrow keys, and boot. For this to work
all you have to do is comment the lines in lilo.conf that loads them, and uncomment
the line that says
message = /boot/boot_message.txt
(there's a comment above the line calling it "Standard menu")
and rerun lilo from the command line. How to do this is decribed in your lilo.conf.
I have absolutely zero experience with grub unless we are talking about grub causing
failed installations with operating systems that use it by default. That I do have
some experince with.

Perhaps someone else can fill in on how to operate that particular boot loader
if you choose to use it.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #35
recan

Original Poster
Quote:
What you call safe mode is actually fallback text mode. The later AMD cards don't
play particularly well with fancy boot graphics. I don't know a fix, but all it
really means is that instead of Slackwares boot logo you get lilos boot menu with
a list of options that you can select with arrow keys, and boot. For this to work
all you have to do is comment the lines in lilo.conf that loads them, and uncomment
the line that says
message = /boot/boot_message.txt
(there's a comment above the line calling it "Standard menu")
and rerun lilo from the command line. How to do this is decribed in your lilo.conf.
I have absolutely zero experience with grub unless we are talking about grub causing
failed installations with operating systems that use it by default. That I do have
some experince with.

Perhaps someone else can fill in on how to operate that particular boot loader
if you choose to use it.
Thank you , Yes my G.card Amd is the problem with Lilo , but the fallback mode is a single line with lilo 24.2 :
it is waiting to write linus or windows to boot no option to chose using arrows. any way I remplaced with grub2. in spite I love using lilo because of simplicity , Thank you again .

Old 11-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #36
rogan

This is what the normal text menu should look like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LILO_(boot_loader)

Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #37
recan

Original Poster
Hello again

Finally i installed the current Slackware-64 and I have sound via Hdmi back to work fine IoI.

I need to setup my Boot loader Lilo in order to show properly messages during boot phase , I use Vga= ask in lilo.conf
It show a lists of resolution I tried some to find a good one , finally I found two resolution the problem That I have to enter a letter J or H which corresponds to resolution : 3D4 and 3D2 using this in lilo.conf Vga=J or Vga=3D2 or the other one it didnt accept this ; how do it properly Hope that i was clear to explain the problem.

also I m using Slimjet browser I have this error when executing

./flashpeak-slimjet
Trace/breakpoint trap

any help plz.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #38
rogan

Hello recan!
You should use vga=normal and just let modeset take over when you're booting,
which it should be doing no matter what you set vga to, which makes me a bit puzzled.
If you have a very high resolution monitor it should help readability if you have
setfont -v ter-v32b
in /etc/rc.d/rc.font. rc.font is not executable by default so you have to do a
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.font and reboot.

I have never used "slimjet" so I can't help you there.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #39
recan

Original Poster
Quote:
Hello recan!
You should use vga=normal and just let modeset take over when you're booting,
which it should be doing no matter what you set vga to, which makes me a bit puzzled.
If you have a very high resolution monitor it should help readability if you have
setfont -v ter-v32b
in /etc/rc.d/rc.font. rc.font is not executable by default so you have to do a
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.font and reboot.

I have never used "slimjet" so I can't help you there.
Thank you very much , using vga=Normal lead to big fonts resolution which is not good.