LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 AM   #16
PJBrs
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogan View Post
I have tried the same ting as PJBrs talked about. I got the Frankenware to work in the end with a LOT of work.
All I got for the trouble was a unupgradeable system that required even more work. Just don't do it is My advice.
I did this on two different multilib systems, and while I said it was a chore, they certainly remain upgrade-able with slackpkg. Just blacklist some stuff. Since I did this a long time ago, I don't know the exact details anymore, but my local ~/Packages/mesa directory has the following list of packages:

Mako-1.0.7-x86_64-2.txz
Mako-compat32-1.0.7-x86_64-2compat32.txz
libdrm-2.4.94-x86_64-1pj.txz
libdrm-compat32-2.4.94-x86_64-1pjcompat32.txz
libedit-20180525_3.1-x86_64-1.txz
libedit-compat32-20180525_3.1-x86_64-1compat32.txz
llvm-6.0.1-x86_64-1pj.txz
llvm-compat32-6.0.1-x86_64-1_slack14.2compat32.txz
mesa-18.2.0-x86_64-1.txz
mesa-compat32-18.2.0-x86_64-1compat32.txz
python-compat32-2.7.15-x86_64-1_slack14.2compat32.txz
python-setuptools-compat32-22.0.5-x86_64-1compat32.txz
python3-compat32-3.6.4-x86_64-1_SBocompat32.txz

[NOTE, it was llvm-6.0.1 not llvm-8.0 as I wrote earlier]

I guess I may have already had python3 64-bit installed before I upgraded mesa, but I think these are the necessary packages for updating mesa. So, I don't think it is as difficult as you make it seem right now. Then again, as I said, your mileage may vary...

Last edited by PJBrs; 10-31-2019 at 04:55 AM.
 
Old 10-31-2019, 05:49 AM   #17
rogan
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 197

Rep: Reputation: 84
What you mean is that you compile the packages you listed above, from source, every time there's a security upgrade
and that you do that in a system where the ability to do so changes over time.
Would you recommend that to a new user ?
 
Old 10-31-2019, 06:24 AM   #18
PJBrs
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogan View Post
What you mean is that you compile the packages you listed above, from source, every time there's a security upgrade
and that you do that in a system where the ability to do so changes over time.
Would you recommend that to a new user ?
Well, I'll admit that I haven't recompiled these packages in a long time. Didn't notice any security issues in them either, but perhaps I'm not paying enough attention.

What would I recommend?

Well... I just answered the original question right? I'll leave the decision to the OP.

My personal consideration - I assume that any Slacker will either be able to quickly compile some packages, or will want to learn how to do so. Then my suggestion would seem reasonable. However, I personally am starting to grow more and more hesitant recommending new users either option - I think new users should not install non-stable editions (even though -current appears quite stable in practice), nor would I recommend users to compile stuff from source by necessity, just because they want to use 14.2 with newish hardware (new AMD CPUs and GPUs).

I think that the need for a new stable release is growing. But let's not get off on that tangent ;-)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
recan
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBrs View Post
Well, I'll admit that I haven't recompiled these packages in a long time. Didn't notice any security issues in them either, but perhaps I'm not paying enough attention.

What would I recommend?

Well... I just answered the original question right? I'll leave the decision to the OP.

My personal consideration - I assume that any Slacker will either be able to quickly compile some packages, or will want to learn how to do so. Then my suggestion would seem reasonable. However, I personally am starting to grow more and more hesitant recommending new users either option - I think new users should not install non-stable editions (even though -current appears quite stable in practice), nor would I recommend users to compile stuff from source by necessity, just because they want to use 14.2 with newish hardware (new AMD CPUs and GPUs).

I think that the need for a new stable release is growing. But let's not get off on that tangent ;-)
new user like me run away from hell of other distros wich broke at random time specialy after an update; starting using Slack no broke system , and I boot my Pc with confident every time that it work and it did sometimes I think Slack will boot even without power cable plugged IoI , last time I compliled stuff back when I want to use skype ...alsa dropped and pulse take place , and it work without borken , so I understand both yr points of view toward new slack's user ,thank you very much and be safe. be Slack's helpers IoI.
 
Old 10-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #20
rogan
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 197

Rep: Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by recan View Post
sometimes I think Slack will boot even without power cable plugged IoI
This is a great quote I hope our BDFL reads this .
Welcome back anytime.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
recan
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello
After installing the live edition of slackware using the setup2hd , all work fine , video sound via Hdmi ..but i noticed it took a while before the Kde desktop load , finaly I decide to try the current edition ; so the gate of questions and help is opened again
so be ready plz thank you
 
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #22
PJBrs
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 18
I just recreated my mesa packages. I *think* I have everything running okay now. If anyone wants to give them a try, they're over here:

http://floorenpj.xs4all.nl/slackware/

Note - tested on only one machine. These packages will give you mesa-19.2.2 on Slackware 14.2.

@rogan - I'll admit this took a lot longer than I had expected...

*EDIT*

Just tested them on my intel laptop. I noticed that glxgears was missing from the 64-bit package. Other than that, I just got steam in-home streaming to work from slackware to slackware :-)

Last edited by PJBrs; 11-01-2019 at 10:36 AM.
 
Old 11-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #23
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,797

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBrs View Post
Just tested them on my intel laptop. I noticed that glxgears was missing from the 64-bit package. Other than that, I just got steam in-home streaming to work from slackware to slackware :-)
Did you build mesa-demos?
 
Old 11-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #24
Nille_kungen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by recan View Post
I think Slack will boot even without power cable plugged IoI
It does on my laptop, as expected.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #25
PJBrs
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
Did you build mesa-demos?
No, they complain about missing libGL.la - since mesa switched to the meson build system it doesn't ship *.la files anymore. But I found a patch from Linux from scratch that adds back only glxinfo and glxgears, and they build fine.

Somehow, though, the /usr/bin/32/glx{gears,info} packages are present in the compat32 package, showing that they do build fine.

Last edited by PJBrs; 11-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.
 
Old 11-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #26
recan
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nille_kungen View Post
It does on my laptop, as expected.
That is well said
 
Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #27
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,227

Rep: Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970Reputation: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBrs View Post
No, they complain about missing libGL.la - since mesa switched to the meson build system it doesn't ship *.la files anymore. But I found a patch from Linux from scratch that adds back only glxinfo and glxgears, and they build fine.
Do you have a link for that patch? I remember running into that problem a few months ago.
 
Old 11-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #28
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,797

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBrs View Post
No, they complain about missing libGL.la - since mesa switched to the meson build system it doesn't ship *.la files anymore. But I found a patch from Linux from scratch that adds back only glxinfo and glxgears, and they build fine.

Somehow, though, the /usr/bin/32/glx{gears,info} packages are present in the compat32 package, showing that they do build fine.
You might want to read the changelog entry from a while ago when all of the .la files were removed.
 
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #29
PJBrs
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Do you have a link for that patch? I remember running into that problem a few months ago.
Over here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...vn/x/mesa.html

I've included sources myself as well, you'll find the patch here:

http://floorenpj.xs4all.nl/slackware/src/mesa/patches/

I also rebuilt my 64-bit mesa package, which now does include glxinfo and glxgears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
You might want to read the changelog entry from a while ago when all of the .la files were removed.
Yes I read that. But I'm building on 14.2, which still has all these .la files. Even building libdrm without them is hard. The mesa-demos want to link to libGL, and apparently they expect mesa to ship with libGL.la for that purpose. But since version 19, mesa switched from an autotools build system, which generates .la files, to the meson build system , which doesn't produce these .la files. So, on a 14.2 system (probably because libGL.la is needlessly referenced somewhere on 14.2, and I couldn't be bothered to find out where exactly), the mesa-demos fail to build against mesa-19 and further on.

Funnily, if you build mesa 19.2.2 with an old mesa installed, the mesa-demos build will succeed because it will link against the old mesa libs.

For now, I've kept all the .la files in libdrm. I'll get rid of them when I switch to 15.0

Last edited by PJBrs; 11-02-2019 at 06:36 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #30
rogan
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 197

Rep: Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by recan View Post
Hello
After installing the live edition of slackware using the setup2hd , all work fine , video sound via Hdmi ..but i noticed it took a while before the Kde desktop load
The bottleneck in your case is the 1Tb WD drive if that's what you're using. Get a SSD! You could
probably buy a new 120Gb-ish dirt cheap. It's plenty of room for your system if you use the old WD on your /home
The KDE desktop is a resource hogger and you should expect it to take a while to load because it's _big_ .
Once it's loaded, it should be pretty snappy though, at least if you disable the baloo desktop indexer file
content search ability.
The functionality and user experience in the new (plasma-5) desktop is second to none in my experience and you
_really_ should switch to it if KDE/fully featured desktops is your thing: http://slackware.uk/people/alien-kde/current/latest/
It will probably be included pretty soon anyway.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Issue with laptop using ATI Radeon RX 580. alex14641 Linux - Hardware 12 01-13-2019 04:51 PM
SOLVED: Problems to Internet Using Sierra Wireless AirCard 580 Dennola4 Linux - Newbie 1 01-28-2009 04:17 AM
SOLVED: Problems Connecting to Internet Using Sierra Wireless AirCard 580 Dennola4 Linux - Newbie 1 01-28-2009 04:17 AM
Installation problem with dlink 4 port server card DFE 580 TX s_maz Linux - Newbie 1 01-08-2009 01:57 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration