LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2019, 03:26 AM   #16
deNiro

Distribution: Slackware-Current and Salix 14.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcklnx View Post
why Slackware server weighs 10G? the graphics are not installed. Debian server weighs 3G.
Because slackware installs a lot of libraries/tools that you probably won't need on a slackware server. Even if you deselect some package sections, during installation, to create a server and reduce the footprint, it will still be bloated for what you might need. And if you do not exactly know what you are doing, you might break stuff.

If you really want a smaller install, then you could try it with Salix, which has a Core or Basic install option. Salix is basically Slackware with tools and some choice made in package selection. Every numbered Salix release is fully compatible with the identical numbered Slackware release. It often saves you compile time, since they have a nice selection of extra software together with all the slackware packages that can be installed from the repository.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #17
theodore.s

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 29
Smile Bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhaoLin1457 View Post
Tell that also to the guys who sells VPS, for example to those ones: https://welcome.linode.com/get-started-vps-2019/

When your VPS have the entire storage about 20GB or 25GB, probably you will not be so happy that the OS eat 10GB from them.
This specific VPS provider was a bad example for your point. I do have a Slackware VPS with them. I used their pre-configured install. This was the smallest slackware installation I have ever seen. I don't remember the install size, but only ssh was there, I had to manually install everything else. Of course anything X related was missing. Even after installing sendmail, apache, bind, imap etc, /usr is still below 1GB.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
enorbet

Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys

Rep: Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434Reputation: 4434
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcklnx View Post
I realized that all non-Slackware distributions store everything they need in repositories. Slackware stores everything you need on disk. therefore, such a large weight of about 10GB
Выделите текст, чтобы посмотреть примеры
Frankly I consider 10GB "chump change". I have ThumbDrives 3 times that size and even they are small by today's standards. In any environment where the difference between 8GB and 10GB actually matters, I'd assume the admin knows what can be sacrificed to dump 2GB or even substantially more, considering LiveSlak resides on less than 4GB. So what's the big deal?

2 members found this post helpful.