LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #1
linux1021

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Debian 10.9 nvidia-settings installed but does not work.

Hi! Everybody

I successfully install nvidia's driver for Debian 10.9 (current). It took a lot of typing from CLI, according to this instructions on debians site https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers, everything is working, but when I install the nvidia-settings control, I can see it in the menu, and when I click on it, nothing happends. I tried to run it on the terminal, it says:

maverick@TopGun:~$ nvidia-settings

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

I also installed nvidia-smi, and it can see the card, and has some information. See screenshot for details, please. Any ideas? Thanks for your time and help. Have a nice day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Debian 10.9 backports nvidia-settings not working.png
Views:	48
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	36103  

Old 04-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
Emerson
LQ Sage

Distribution: Gentoo ~amd64

nvidia-settings is for user, you are not supposed to run it as root.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
linux1021

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
nvidia-settings is for user, you are not supposed to run it as root.
Hi! Emerson

I run the command both ways, (root and user) and did not work. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
Emerson
LQ Sage

Well, then it means the proprietary driver is not in use. You are running this command in terminal window, right? Xorg up and running? You should look at your Xorg log to see what driver is used. Maybe your Xorg is still using nouveau or some fallback driver.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
linux1021

Original Poster
Quote:
Well, then it means the proprietary driver is not in use. You are running this command in terminal window, right? Xorg up and running? You should look at your Xorg log to see what driver is used. Maybe your Xorg is still using nouveau or some fallback driver.
Yes, I tried the command in terminal, to see if any errors comes up, becuase the gui version does not do nothing. Yes, destop environment is up and running. I remember disabling the nouveau driver like the debian instructions told me. Any ideas? Thanks for your time and help in advance. Have a nice day, and stay safe.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
Emerson
LQ Sage

Quote:
You should look at your Xorg log to see what driver is used. Maybe your Xorg is still using nouveau or some fallback driver.
Forum forced: The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
linux1021

Original Poster
Quote:
Forum forced: The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
I did! I clicked the quote option, and displayed the whole message. Any ideas? Thanks for your time and help in advance. Have a nice day.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
mrapathy

Distribution: Slackware,Debian

Rep: Reputation: 66
Are you running a laptop by chance with intel and nvidia hardware for video?
Whats your hardware?

Old 04-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
linux1021

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapathy View Post
Are you running a laptop by chance with intel and nvidia hardware for video?
Whats your hardware?
Hi! mrapathy

This is an ASUS 2 IN 1 with intel i7 Gen 7 and a NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX. That is all I can say right now. I did many combinations of installations on debian 10.9 buster with different repositories each time and including main, non-free, contrib in main repositories and the buster-backports too. It displayed each time dependencies conflicts between NVIDIA 460.X.X and the 418.X.X and I even try the legacy 390.X.X version. I really wanted to work, I like the lightness of my debian 10.9 LXQT for every thing I do, but the packages still have dependencies that conflict with each other. It keeps loading something for a driver, I even blacklisted the nouveau driver, but did not load the proprietary driver every time, eventhough the desktop is up and runing but without the nvidia-setting working. I suspect wayland and/or systemd is the problem. I am trying linux mint 20.1 right now, but I still open to sugestions, if you please. Thanks for your time and help. Have a nice day.

Tags
driver, geforce, nvidia