LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
okorkie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Programs Immediately Closing From Desktop When Trying To Open

Hello,

I am currently running Debian and I'm having a problem with opening some programs from my desktop. Here are the technical details of my hardware / software:

- Debian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)
- architecture = armv7l

The problem is that when I go to open a few programs (web browser, TeamViewer, etc), they try to open for a brief second and then close down. This just recently started happening for some reason.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925
Can you please start one of the programs from the command line and paste the terminal output here. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
okorkie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
Can you please start one of the programs from the command line and paste the terminal output here. Thanks.
Sorry, I forgot to include that.... The last line of output is 'Abort' or 'Aborted' - I can't remember exactly, but I will know for sure tomorrow.

There were about 3 or 4 lines of output total.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874
I've had similar quirks, although not unsuspected for my use case. One user starts X. Other users try to launch X apps and they fail. The user who started X didn't change permissions $(xhost local to allow other users to use X. Basically a permissions issue. Also some things are picky about ONLY running for user 1000.

$ id

Although I suspect your case might be more compiler related. armv71 trying to run something for aarch64 or armv4 or armv6 or whatever applies. Although in theory backwards compatible with the earlier generation opcodes.

You could try deleting the .cache and .browser (.mozilla?) and see if those things start again. Assuming they used to work. Could have been an update too, try to update again and see if it gets fixed. Make sure $DISPLAY is set.

$ echo $DISPLAY

Debian changed something and other users who didn't start X don't assume DISPLAY values or inherit it from other users. I have to $(export DISPLAY=":0") before I launch any gui apps, even when X is shared, for users that didn't start X.

And then there's other quirks like read-only / filesystem. $(mount). Or a soundcard requirement and it's locked / in use by another user. By default pulse does not share, nor do jackd. And various audio application that require /etc/hosts to contain an entry for /etc/hostname or they fail. You could strace the application to see what it's trying to "OPEN" when it fails. See if it exists, make it exist (install not installed package / other trickery) and see if it doesn't fail. Lots of trickery, sometimes distros do not get the dependencies just right, but installs the thing anyway. Or you install it by non-distros means and it doesn't check for dependencies and otherwise makes assumptions.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
okorkie

Original Poster
Here is a picture of the error when trying to open Google Chrome (see attached).

Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	30633  

Old 05-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Shadow_7

Rep: Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874
Permission denied.
GPU failed to adjust.

Seems like your video drivers are not up to par, or your permissions are bad.

$ groups

$ glxinfo | head -n 6

Old 05-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
okorkie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
Permission denied.
GPU failed to adjust.

Seems like your video drivers are not up to par, or your permissions are bad.

$ groups

$ glxinfo | head -n 6
Thank for this... see attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Error2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	30635  

Old 05-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
Shadow_7

In the video group and direct rendering = yes. Is the DISPLAY variable set?

$ echo $DISPLAY

Does it equal the glxinfo output of :0.0 ?

Although many things will say the DISPLAY is not set as the error if you launch it from a terminal. Granted the very first line which might have scrolled away. Beyond that SIG 11 is the application crashed. Perhaps strace it and see what the last thing it tried to do was. Like open a file, and it doesn't exist or the / is full or read-only. Lots of possibilities.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
jmgibson1981

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392
Check permissions on your /home/$USER folders. If you ran something as root it could have changed ownership and you can't write to the required places anymore. Instant software failure. I got my .config folder owned as root when testing a script, caused exactly this problem.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
okorkie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
In the video group and direct rendering = yes. Is the DISPLAY variable set?

$ echo $DISPLAY

Does it equal the glxinfo output of :0.0 ?

Although many things will say the DISPLAY is not set as the error if you launch it from a terminal. Granted the very first line which might have scrolled away. Beyond that SIG 11 is the application crashed. Perhaps strace it and see what the last thing it tried to do was. Like open a file, and it doesn't exist or the / is full or read-only. Lots of possibilities.

I have attached a pic of the output of 'echo $DISPLAY', 'groups', and 'glxinfo | head -n 6'.

Thx
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Error3.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	30669  

Old 05-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
okorkie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgibson1981 View Post
Check permissions on your /home/$USER folders. If you ran something as root it could have changed ownership and you can't write to the required places anymore. Instant software failure. I got my .config folder owned as root when testing a script, caused exactly this problem.
Hmm, you 'might' be on to something... I did a bunch of updates and TeamViewer seemed to open / work, but then it stopped working a short time thereafter.

I did the following (I think):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Thx