LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware > Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer
User Name
Password
Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer This forum is for the discussion of Linux on both embedded devices and single-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard). Discussions involving Arduino, plug computers and other micro-controller like devices are also welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
vysero

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cross debugging with embedded Linux us gbd-multiarch over serial

I have an embedded Linux application running on an arm processor with a Digi SOM overlay. I am attempting to debug the application via gdb-multiarch inside of Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers Version: Photon Release (4.8.0)

I am logging onto the target via a serial connection and I know gdbserver is on the system:

Code:
# gdbserver
Usage:  gdbserver [OPTIONS] COMM PROG [ARGS ...}
        gdbserver [OPTIONS] --attach COMM PID
        gdbserver [OPTIONS] --multi COMM

COMM may either be a tty device (for serial debugging), or
HOST:PORT to listen for a TCP connection

Options:
  --debug           Enable debugging output.
I have already setup the Eclipse custom debugger connection to be of type Serial and I have given it the Device location/port and the Baud Rate.

The application can be run from the /etc/init.d directory. For instance, I can make a change in the code save it and copy the change to a directory I have setup @ /exports. If I want to run the program I simply navigate to the init.d directory from within the serial-terminal and run the script:

./S95-lonepeak-suite start

Now I just need to figure out what gdbserver command I need to enter into the serial port terminal so the two can communicate with one another and I can cross-debugg the application.

I would have thought it would be something like:

# gdbserver ttyS0 S95-lonepeak-suite

or

# gdbserver /dev/ttyS0 S95-lonepeak-suite

Apparently that is not correct.

EDIT: Never mind I figured this out guys. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Last edited by vysero; 12-06-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
MensaWater
LQ Guru

Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO

Rep: Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669
Can you post what it was you figured out please? That way others who have same issue in future will see your solution.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
onebuck

Distribution: SlackwareŽ

Rep: Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159
Moderator Response

Moved: This thread is more suitable in <Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer> and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.