LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #31
prushik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Lubuntu, BetterLinux
Posts: 370

Rep: Reputation: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by choogendyk View Post
Interesting that you are posting from Windows rather than Linux.
Ooh, harsh. yes thats true, I'm running the Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. I have about 7 hard drives all with different operating systems. My main drive has XP, Gentoo, Plan 9, and Ubuntu. This drive I use at work because I do software development and nobody else here uses linux. For the programs that won't be used outside of the lab, I use our Debian Lenny box.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #32
prushik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Lubuntu, BetterLinux
Posts: 370

Rep: Reputation: 29
And hey, at least its not a Mac
 
Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #33
MexDeath
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Linux Mint, Mandriva, Gentoo.
Posts: 65

Rep: Reputation: 16
Talking

Quote:
I am a die-hard Mac-hater. [...] There are OS's out there that can do more than a Mac can, faster, and look as pretty that cost nothing at all.
I'm sorry it got to the point where you hated it, I simply ignore Macs, only thing I like, is their look. For that reason I'm running Ubuntu Linux with Mac4Lin... it cost me nothing.

Quote:
I have used Mac, and I own one just so I can prove that its slower than equivalent linux machines.
Why prove that to anyone... after all, Freedom, and hence Freedom of Choice is one of Linux's main deal, right? Let people have what best suits their needs.

Quote:
The Mac Kernel (xnu) I actually like a lot, its very fast and pretty small, but hard to compile. The kernel and source are available for free directly from Apple (look up Darwin).
Well, Unix/BSD System made to look pretty. What can you expect? Nothing better than Unix Based Systems.

Quote:
The problem with Mac is the software, the stuff that Apple charges an arm, a leg, and your firstborn for. Aqua (the GUI) is bloated and bogged down with worthless animations and effects. And all the iSoftware that Apple promotes to no end is just as bad, there is BETTER software out there and its all free.
Then just don't buy it. Keep using Linux (Or Windows, as I can see you're posting with Windows... which makes your Argument pointless in a way.)

Quote:
I oppose Mac because its marketed as an OS for cool people, and they charge a ton of money for it, even though all the good parts are available for free anyway.
Cool people... Cool people use Linux. Period. All the Cool Kids are doing it.

Quote:
Plus hardware options are really limited.
Not limited, expensive. I say its not limited because you can now run a Mac System on Intel PC's. As for the expensive part, it is expensive if you're running Mac System on an Apple.

Quote:
Mac vs. Windows - Both suck, not worth arguing.
Then why are you using Windows to post this message?

Quote:
Mac vs. Linux - Linux is cheaper and better, so whats the point of a Mac? Why do Mac user try to shove it down our throats?
No Mac user has, at any time, tried to "shove it down [my] throat." If they tried, however, I would simply ignore them, and change the subject.

Quote:
Linux vs. Windows - You are all on this forum for a reason. Linux is the way to go.
Again, if this is the case for you, then why are you USING Windows to post these messages?

The good thing here is that we can all agree to disagree. The better thing is that if we disagree, we can simply not use that which we are not agreeing with. If you don't agree with Mac/Apple, or Windows/PC, Software/Hardware, then don't use it, and look for alternatives. I chose my alternative, its a PC, with Linux.

Its good though, that we can arrive to the same conclusion, we don't like Macs!

Good day to you Bud!

MexDeath.

Last edited by MexDeath; 09-18-2009 at 08:33 AM.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #34
prushik
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Lubuntu, BetterLinux
Posts: 370

Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexDeath View Post
Then why are you using Windows to post this message?
...
Again, if this is the case for you, then why are you USING Windows to post these messages?
.
I think I addressed that. Thats a bit below the belt. Sometimes we don't have a choice. Its Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. I got it for free from Microsoft. I would never pay for an OS. I use linux or other alternate OS's on all my other hard drives, I switch HDDs frequently.
Not everyone at work uses linux, so the work I do needs to be compatible. So I chose the best option.
And btw, 7 is a lot better as far as bloat is concerned. I'm running it on a 5-6 year old laptop and I never have any speed issues. But this is no place for a Window 7 review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexDeath View Post
Well, Unix/BSD System made to look pretty. What can you expect? Nothing better than Unix Based Systems.
It's based on Mach actually. With some BSD mixed in. It's a hybrid kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexDeath View Post
Why prove that to anyone... after all, Freedom, and hence Freedom of Choice is one of Linux's main deal, right? Let people have what best suits their needs.
I guess if graphical effects are more important than speed, performance, and getting things done, then Mac would be right for you.
 
Old 09-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
MexDeath
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Linux Mint, Mandriva, Gentoo.
Posts: 65

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
I think I addressed that.
Yep, you did. I apologize... I actually saw you address that, but after I posted. Hehehe.
Quote:
It's based on Mach actually. With some BSD mixed in. It's a hybrid kernel.
Point was: it has some Unix/BSD.
Quote:
I guess if graphical effects are more important than speed, performance, and getting things done, then Mac would be right for you.
Yea, for anyone that uses Macs. I don't use Macs, I don't like them. Only thing I like is their GUI.
 
Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #36
ronlau9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: In front of my LINUX OR MAC BOX
Distribution: Mandriva 2009 X86_64 suse 11.3 X86_64 Centos X86_64 Debian X86_64 Linux MInt 86_64 OS X
Posts: 2,369

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post

I guess if graphical effects are more important than speed, performance, and getting things done, then Mac would be right for you.
I must admit it is mostly my wife who use our MAC
On they other hand the performance of our MAC PRO work station is not bad.
And after installing Snow leopard it is not bad all.
And you can speed up using the command line .
The bad think is that it is so expensive.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #37
roystonlodge
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 161

Rep: Reputation: 32
I used to say there was really no difference, but I changed my mind...

I use Windows, Linux, and OSX, depending on the purpose:
  • Linux runs my personal webserver. I also started installing Linux on my older (PIII) laptops once XP got so bloated with updates that there's virtually no RAM left to run any applications.
  • I use a Mac Mini in my living room as the central component of the home entertainment centre. It's connected to my HD flatscreen via VGA, and I control it from the couch with a wireless keyboard and trackball. Thanks to the huge number of movies and tv shows available through iTunes I've actually cancelled my cable subscription and I save a lot of money. Plus, it's really nice to check my email, surf the web, edit video, and play a few games from the comfort of my couch.
  • I use Windows at work, and on my primary laptop, and on my gaming desktop.

Now, since I'm the kind of person who like to tinker, and can generally figure out how to solve most computer problems that I'm confronted with, from a "ease of use" standpoint I used to say that I find all three are generally equal. But that's only because I don't really suffer from the same sorts of problems that many average users have, because I have a high level of computer literacy.

My dad, who is in his 70s, bought a top-of-the-line Intel iMac for an ungodly amount of money. I thought it was a waste because he doesn't use even a fraction of its computing power. I told him that I could put together a decent Windows PC for him that would do everything that he needs. But, he ate up the "Macs are oh-so easy to use" advertising that Apple puts out. He's had it for a couple of years now, and he STILL can't really figure out email. It's not the OS that's the problem, he just isn't getting the knack of using a computer. After all, for his entire working life he had a secretary to take care of all that stuff. So why spend the extra money on a Mac when the computer frustrates him just as much as Windows would at a lower cost?

Well, I changed my mind about that one day when I was at a friend's house and HIS mom was having trouble with her Windows PC. I offered to take a look at it for her. It turned out that she didn't have automatic updates turned on, had no antivirus installed, no anti-spyware, had never defragmented, she was filled to the brim with crapware and malware, and had never done any of the other little maintenance procedures that I do almost automatically on my Windows PCs.

So I installed AVGFree, Windows Defender, and SmartDefrag, and set them to run automatically in sequence overnight (automatic updates at midnight, AVGFree at 1am, Windows Defender at 2am, and then SmartDefrag at 3am). So now, if the machine gets a little sluggish she just leaves it turned on overnight and it tidies itself up. I also used AdvancedSystemCare to run other diagnostics, clean up the registry, and clean up her startup items.

Now, even though my Dad still can't really figure out how to use email, I have to admit that he's never had any problems like my friend's mom had with her Windows PC. Of course, if he used Windows I would be there to clean it up for him, but that doesn't help all the people out there who don't have the luxury of having sired a computer geek.

So, for users with average (or perhaps below average) computer literacy, these days I think I'd be far more likely to advise that they get a Mac if they can afford it (or better yet if they can find one used at a good price), IF they do not have access to a friendly computer geek who is willing to help them maintain their computer. OSX simply allows them to avoid that extra level of aggravation so they can focus on dealing with their primary sources of computer aggravation. Of course, a good desktop Linux distro also allows one to avoid those same aggravations, but my dad was convinced that spending more money meant getting a better computer. C'est la vie.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE MODE: That being said, being an OSX geek is sort of like being a Star Trek fan. Even though you love it, half the fun is complaining about where they went wrong. Even Mac evangelist magazines are dotted with articles where the writer points out quirks in the UI where Windows does it better, or reviews of software to add functionality that should really be built-in to OSX, or design decisions that often seem to come from Apple's marketing and accounting departments rather than from their engineers. But that's also true of Windows computers. The difference is that Macs are advertised to "just work", so when they don't "just work" the customer feels ripped off. With Windows you don't EXPECT it to "just work", so you don't feel betrayed when something goes wrong.

CAVEAT: On my own computers I'm still using XP. At work I use Vista, but I have no experience maintaining it because I don't have administrator privileges. Maybe Vista doesn't suffer from the sorts of problems I described up there. I dunno. And I haven't even looked at Windows 7 yet, so I have no clue how well it solves any of these problems.

Last edited by roystonlodge; 10-16-2009 at 11:16 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's with all the "linux sucks" and "ubuntu sucks" articles on the Internet? Ntvu Linux - General 42 11-11-2008 02:16 PM
Spam and trolling crashmeister LQ Suggestions & Feedback 9 01-26-2007 05:56 AM
Think ive got it LQnewBee Debian 18 10-16-2005 07:48 AM
Mac Osx Sucks! Squall General 18 04-19-2004 12:28 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration