LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #16
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 11,219

Rep: Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309

Look, wigglytoes, repeating yourself won't make you more convincing.

Quote:
CentOS is going buy buy. You can't see that? Really?
Of course not.

You already know that nobody thinks that that will happen, except for you and cwizardone. And both of you have immediately resorted to labeling everyone else as "unrealistic" and "clueless" while using really hysterical language.

Quote:
Not one person actually made an attempt to answer the original question.
I'm sorry, but this is a blatant lie.

Last edited by dugan; 01-15-2014 at 09:25 AM.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,753

Rep: Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935
Red Hat drives linux far more than any other company. They have built a profitable company out of open source. It would not make any sense for Red hat to shut down or commercialise centOS, even if they had the capability to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglytoes View Post
Where should a long time CentOS user go?

Scientific Linux?
Ubuntu?
If you want to believe that because Red Hat in now more involved with centOS its going to be commercialised, thats OK. I dont believe it, and it doesnt look like many posters here do either.

But even suggesting going to ubuntu...wow, just wow. Canonical are far more dangerous (and less productive) to 'open source' overall, and linux in particular, than Red Hat are.

Out of the pleasantly warm place into the blast furnace.

*edit- and if you really want an easy answer to a non problem- debian or slackware.

Last edited by cascade9; 01-15-2014 at 10:33 AM.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
cwizardone
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" and KDE4Town.
Posts: 9,085

Rep: Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
...You already know that nobody thinks that that will happen, except for you and cwizardone. And both of you have immediately resorted to labeling everyone else as "unrealistic" and "clueless" while using really hysterical language....
NOTHING "hysterical" about it. Are you really that naive or do you work for the anti-trust division (a complete and sad joke on the citizens of the U.S.) of the Justice Department? History will repeat itself as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 11,219

Rep: Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Are you really that naive or...
I believe I've already answered that. You can call it what you want.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 11,219

Rep: Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309
*BUMP

Oh btw, cwizardone, you are well-known for taking EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A CRAZY MAN FROM THE MOON positions, which absolutely are hysterical. The current thread is an example, and it's time I called you out on it instead of ignoring it like I always have.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886
Come on guys, please keep this discussion civil.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #22
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,030

Rep: Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglytoes View Post
...
But.
Seriously, you believe the hype, that things will get better?
Yeah that's what happens in corporate america all the time.
...
Glady to see some more awake persons around, it does really give the feeling that is still hope for our planet.

Now for those that doesn't know, and this is to set a parallel, a lot of media companies in US are owned by 6 corporations, now what happen if corporations starting buying on rampage, distros that are in reality a treat to their business? And it is not just about that those men behind those corporations really want a monopoly on everything they can put their hands on, now don't be naive about this, they don't tolerate competition.
Here some info about the media corporations, in case you still not believing it.
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...-hear-and-read
http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530.php
watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hxMaAAmaX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TM8L7bdwVaA

Now it depend to us to make sure really free(as free speech) distros survive to this, because if we don't do it then all the software in the future will be non-free, and dare to get a "free" copy of that!!

1984 - George Orwell

Regards
 
Old 01-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
And it is not just about that those men behind those corporations really want a monopoly on everything they can put their hands on, now don't be naive about this, they don't tolerate competition.
Ah, so that must be the reason why those evil and greedy Red Hat company only releases closed source products and doesn't contribute back at all to open source projects.

Oh, wait ...
 
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #24
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,030

Rep: Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385
@TobiSGD

You can't be that naive, do you really think the thief will tell you what he is going to do to you before he does? And do you really think they will do big steps making it obvious what the next move is gonna be? Do you know what facade is?

Regards

Last edited by ukiuki; 01-15-2014 at 04:04 PM.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #25
anomie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Distribution: RHEL, Scientific Linux, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 3,935
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Time will tell. And this thread will be preserved within a DB for posterity's sake. Years from now, we can all look back and fondly discuss the speculations over a pint of Guinness.

If you are concerned about CentOS, Scientific Linux works. Really well. If you are not concerned about CentOS (which I'm personally not - knowing Red Hat's relationship with the community, and the way it would impact their bottom line if they piss off the community), then stay with it.

The embrace, extend, extinguish method doesn't work so well when you're dealing with GPL'd FOSS. We're tuned into it these days (thank you, Microsoft), and someone else can always take the ball and run with it.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 11,219

Rep: Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309Reputation: 5309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
And it is not just about that those men behind those corporations really want a monopoly on everything they can put their hands on, now don't be naive about this, they don't tolerate competition.
Calling people who disagree with you "naive" and "not awake", which you've done twice in two posts, does not prove your point. Especially if it's all you say (which it was).

Quote:
You can't be that naive, do you really think the thief will tell you what he is going to do to you before he does? And do you really think they will do big steps making it obvious what the next move is gonna be? Do you know what facade is?
Ooohkay. So: the fact that there is no evidence to support your predictions is in itself evidence that supports your predictions, right? Do you know what conspiracy theory is?

The answer, btw, is of course I think they will. They're a business.

Last edited by dugan; 01-15-2014 at 04:50 PM.
 
Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #27
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
@TobiSGD

You can't be that naive, do you really think the thief will tell you what he is going to do to you before he does? And do you really think they will do big steps making it obvious what the next move is gonna be? Do you know what facade is?

Regards
No, I am not that naive. But I am also not that naive to think that all companies are the same. Just because a company is involved does not have to mean that there are evil spirited men at work, especially when that company has proven time over time over time that they play well with the open source community.
Thinking always the worst of people is a weird world view for me, to be honest, but when I see the links in your signature, especially that one to David Icke's site, it becomes clear to me that conspiracy theories are at least a hobby of yours. Maybe the reptiloids are behind Red Hat's moves?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #28
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,030

Rep: Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385
Dear Tobi...

What is the corporations aim/goal? Money period. They don't care about you, me or anyone, all they care about is money.
Are all the corporations there for the sake of the people? No, but they really make people believe that.
Now do you really think we live in a nice world/civilization/society?
Think again, even better, do some research, please, not because im saying, just to see for yourself, don't be afraid to face the unknown, it is just information, did you at least read the links about the media corporations ?

Oh yes, what one should research about in relation to what is going on in the world? Ok here some tips: bank cartel, GMO, fluoride, frack, police brutality, Palestine, Iraq, the list goes down about what is really going on in the world, unfortunately is a dark road that people don't want too see or hear it, but it is our reality.

Look i dont play with theories, be sure about it, only deal with facts, information about it, and the responsibility to tell other people things they really should know. Because different than the corporations, i do care about people, otherwise you would never hear from me my friend.

Don't attack me just because you don't really understand the things in my signature is about, instead read it.

One more thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
...please keep this discussion civil.
Regards
 
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #29
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886
The world is not only black and white. Are there corporations out there that are plain evil? Of course, nobody can deny that. Does it logically follow that all corporations have to be evil? Of course not!
And no, thanks, but I won't read stuff from insane people like David Icke, if I want to poison my mind there are much better things to read. In the meantime, just because you are speaking about facts and information, please show us those facts and information that demonstrate the evil intents of Red Hat. I assume you wouldn't convict them without having evidence for their evil actions.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #30
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Rocky 9.2
Posts: 18,352

Rep: Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751
In addition to all the sane responses eg TobiSGD, the fact is you can't 'destroy' a GPL'd thing like Linux... that's the whole point.
RedHat just realize how much good Centos does for them, even if inadvertently.
You might(!) be able to buy-out Centos the organization, although I can't see it happening, but Linux (ie the SW) is not a commercial company...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] NFS on CentOS 6 can talk to Centos 5 but not Centos 6 clients deathsfriend99 Linux - Server 2 11-08-2013 02:33 PM
how to add new users if user_list is used for maintaining the users in vsftpd(centos) SarahGurung Linux - Newbie 10 05-29-2012 10:18 PM
Monitoring users on servers - centos 5 deutsche Linux - Server 6 03-07-2010 05:33 AM
Users can't get own quota information - CentOS 5 sgb Linux - Server 3 01-13-2009 06:00 AM
I can't add new users CentOS Treikayan Linux - Newbie 4 11-22-2008 06:20 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration