LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
linux_rhca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
RHN subscription, is it worth it?


I heard that yum server will only work with RHN subscription. I am planning to buy 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Self-support (up to 1 guest) $349/socket-pair' as I need something to install more software through yum. I am aiming for RHCE exam and that's why need this.The current evaluation version does not allow yum updates.Is it worth spending this much money and will the above subscription help me? (I have got training for RHEL 5). I have to use RHEL 6 to train for the RHCE exam.

Last edited by linux_rhca; 08-11-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: add details
 
Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
ncsuapex
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Distribution: CentOS 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5
Posts: 770

Rep: Reputation: 44
You can always set up your own yum repository using mrepo or satellite if you just want to learn. If you're not going to pick up the phone and use their tech support I wouldn't pay.


Home or for work?
 
Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
snowday
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,667

Rep: Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409
Personally I would use CentOS (free of charge to use) to study for the exam.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185Reputation: 3185
I would test that assumption that you really do have to pay $349 for a software product to take some exam ... that there is not some "educational" alternative.

As for whether-or-not an RHN subscription is "worth it," yeah, I think that it is. Red Hat took the approach that customers need a high level of packaging-support and bug-fixing support (and so on), and that a revenue-based model was necessary in order to provide that. They certainly appear to have been successful, both at providing that level of service and at (thereby...) attracting and retaining a large number of customers.

Even though "$349" sounds like a gulp! price ... it's much less money than I get paid in one day. For a service that could easily (and profitless-ly) consume many days of my time.
 
Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
linux_rhca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Rhel 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuapex View Post
You can always set up your own yum repository using mrepo or satellite if you just want to learn. If you're not going to pick up the phone and use their tech support I wouldn't pay.


Home or for work?
Can you tell me how to set-up mrepo or satellite in RHEL6?

Last edited by linux_rhca; 08-11-2011 at 11:00 PM.
 
Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
linux_rhca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
Personally I would use CentOS (free of charge to use) to study for the exam.
Path names,file-names in CentOS would be different from RHEL 6, wouldn't they? I need to use RHEL 6 for preparing for the RHCE exam.
 
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
linux_rhca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
I would test that assumption that you really do have to pay $349 for a software product to take some exam ... that there is not some "educational" alternative.

As for whether-or-not an RHN subscription is "worth it," yeah, I think that it is. Red Hat took the approach that customers need a high level of packaging-support and bug-fixing support (and so on), and that a revenue-based model was necessary in order to provide that. They certainly appear to have been successful, both at providing that level of service and at (thereby...) attracting and retaining a large number of customers.

Even though "$349" sounds like a gulp! price ... it's much less money than I get paid in one day. For a service that could easily (and profitless-ly) consume many days of my time.
I downloaded RHEL 6 evaluation version from the redhat website, but the yum-server which gets the updates does not work with the eval. version. Are you aware of any educational version of RHEL 6? I can't see anything on the website....
 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
Elv13
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal,Quebec
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 825

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_rhca View Post
Path names,file-names in CentOS would be different from RHEL 6, wouldn't they? I need to use RHEL 6 for preparing for the RHCE exam.
No, they are the same. CentOS is a pure RHEL clone, down the the MD5 of most of the non artwork packages. All they do is remove the name "RedHat" and the logo. It is indented to be 100% compatible in everyway with RHEL.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,511

Rep: Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618
the desktop
https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/desktop/
there is a $49
but the server ( headless desktop mostly ) is $349

CentOS 6 is free ( no 6.1 )
ScientificLinux 6.1 and 6.x( rolling) is free
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
ncsuapex
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Distribution: CentOS 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5
Posts: 770

Rep: Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_rhca View Post
Can you tell me how to set-up mrepo or satellite in RHEL6?


I have not set up either in RHEL6 but here is some documentation to get you started.


http://sysadkodigo.blogspot.com/2010...ith-mrepo.html


And I got the name wrong. Its spacewalk.

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall
 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
linux_rhca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elv13 View Post
No, they are the same. CentOS is a pure RHEL clone, down the the MD5 of most of the non artwork packages. All they do is remove the name "RedHat" and the logo. It is indented to be 100% compatible in everyway with RHEL.
Thanks, you are right. I installed CentOS and Yum server is working fine with that and I can use yum install through the internet without subscribing to RHN.
 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
linux_rhca
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
Personally I would use CentOS (free of charge to use) to study for the exam.
Thanks, you are right. I installed CentOS and Yum server is working fine with that and I can use yum install through the internet without subscribing to RHN. I can use it to study for RHCE exam.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RHN Satellite or RHN Classic support will be disabled. danndp Red Hat 1 05-27-2011 08:20 AM
[SOLVED] RHN Satellite or RHN Classic support will be disabled. danndp Linux - Newbie 3 05-27-2011 07:04 AM
RHN account overview shows 1 sub available and RHN update install can't find mbennettinvail Red Hat 6 02-08-2010 08:34 PM
Cannot register RHN for Redhat Enterprise Linux v5 with basic subscription chuthoang Linux - General 3 01-07-2009 08:45 PM
is RHN worth it? seriv Linux - Newbie 12 07-29-2003 02:20 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration