LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Rep: Reputation: 15
Cannot log in!


After installing a bunch of updates in Debian Etch, and restarting X I can no longer log in. I just get a blank blue screen. Is there a way to revert back to when everything worked?? Thanks.

edit:When I do 'startx' I get a blurry grayish screen with an "X" cursor and nothing else.

Last edited by 449; 01-22-2008 at 02:16 AM.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
If this were Slackware I'd say "run X -configure and see how
the box works with the newly created /root/xorg.conf.new", but
it isn't, so I won't. Let's wait for a debian user to come by
and tell you the proper way.


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
zeeshanhayat
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Fedora, Debian, Free BSD
Posts: 71

Rep: Reputation: 15
This will reconfigure your xserver
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
 
Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeshanhayat View Post
This will reconfigure your xserver
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
It says it's not installed.

edit: I put gksu infront of it and it said it could no open the display.

Last edited by 449; 01-22-2008 at 11:27 AM.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
marco18
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Argentina
Distribution: Ubuntu 13.04 , Debian Lenny 5.0.7
Posts: 223

Rep: Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 449 View Post
It says it's not installed.

edit: I put gksu infront of it and it said it could no open the display.
Try starting your computer in recovery mode and then use the command "startx" to start the GUI. If it doesn't work, it should at least provide you with a more explained description of your problem. Post that log here if you can so that we can help you with your problem.

Greetings!
 
Old 01-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco18 View Post
Try starting your computer in recovery mode and then use the command "startx" to start the GUI. If it doesn't work, it should at least provide you with a more explained description of your problem. Post that log here if you can so that we can help you with your problem.

Greetings!
I don't have a recovery mode, I have the default one, and single use, and both give me the same results.

Also I think I was misleading when I said "blue screen." Here's what happens:

I restart, wait for the splash screen, attempt to login in, then instead I having icons and stuff load it just stays on the default background screen. So wouldn't the problem be with GNOME? The odd thing to me is the updates I installed were a bunch that were required to get Deluge running so I just assumed everything would be fine. I got a few boxes pop up saying that something like "lib" will need to be manual restarted. So after they had finished I pressed Crl Alt Backspace and tried to log back in and couldn't.

Last edited by 449; 01-22-2008 at 03:00 PM.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 6,155

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It is xdm that spawns X. Go to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F2), log in as root and shut down xdm. Then use dpkg to fix your system.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
It is xdm that spawns X. Go to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F2), log in as root and shut down xdm. Then use dpkg to fix your system.
Could you be more specific?

I think I need to revert back to pure Etch because the updates were almost all lenny/sid. Is there a way to do this? I wiped my source.list file so how could this been done? I'm so confused I just want to have my system fuctional again. I switched over to Debian from Ubuntu 2 days ago so I really have no clue what I'm doing. Any extra details and guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
It is xdm that spawns X. Go to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F2), log in as root and shut down xdm. Then use dpkg to fix your system.
I did this and typed "killall xdm" and it returned "no process killed."


I'm thinking the problem is now has to do with the updates I installed being lenny/sid because at the top of the terminal it says "Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid 449 tty2." Now why would it say that when I'm supposed to be running Etch?..
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 6,155

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 449 View Post
I did this and typed "killall xdm" and it returned "no process killed."


I'm thinking the problem is now has to do with the updates I installed being lenny/sid because at the top of the terminal it says "Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid 449 tty2." Now why would it say that when I'm supposed to be running Etch?..
Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
Downgrading? Probably not easy, if possible at all. Fixing it certainly is easier. Use your command line package management tools to verify the integrity of your installation and fix what needed.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
Downgrading? Probably not easy, if possible at all. Fixing it certainly is easier. Use your command line package management tools to verify the integrity of your installation and fix what needed.
How do I verify the integrity of the installation? And what am I fixing?.. I hardly know what I'm doing here...
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 6,155

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hey, what do you want to do - and what did you do? Did you run apt-get dist-upgrade?
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Hey, what do you want to do - and what did you do? Did you run apt-get dist-upgrade?
I want to be able to login!! (=

I don't know exactly what I did. I ended up installing 10 minutes worth of stuff that came along with Deluge, and when I restarted X I could no longer log in any more.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 6,155

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hopefully you switched to Debian for a reason? Like you want to learn more about Linux or something?
If so, great. Debian has comprehensive documentation. I'd recommend running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade commands and see if apt-get returns errors.
 
Old 01-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
449
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Hopefully you switched to Debian for a reason? Like you want to learn more about Linux or something?
If so, great. Debian has comprehensive documentation. I'd recommend running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade commands and see if apt-get returns errors.
My source.list is empty. And apt-get upgrade does nothing.

When I tried to log into failsafe gnome, I get an error like "Could not find Gnome installation, running failsafe xterm."
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to change Debian log rotation of syslog and daemon.log onmountain Linux - Newbie 2 07-31-2008 03:27 AM
Bash script for server log (namely var/log/messages) tenaciousbob Programming 17 05-24-2007 11:43 AM
Opennms Logs - where are web.log, web_rtc.log and webauth.log referenced? not_much_of_a_guru Linux - Networking 0 07-12-2006 11:28 AM
Deleted /var/log/messages, can't log any files-iptables chingyenccy Linux - Newbie 7 02-27-2005 05:03 PM
Strange results in /var/log/apache/access.log subt13 Linux - Security 2 08-03-2004 02:21 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration