LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
pirhana
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
Can't install a Printer


Hello everyone. This is my first post as I'm very new to Linux and in desperate need of some help.

I recently build myself a new machine and decided to install CentOS v5 on the old one - really impressed myself as I have got most of it running (including file sharing!) as I've not used Linux before - complete newbie

Now, I've been trying all day to get my printer working on my CentOS machine, but can't get beyond this in the KDE GUI (I've not far enough to try adding my printer yet):

Quote:
Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.
Anyone able to tell me what to do? even a slight push in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

(I'm loving CentOS BTW)
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,947

Rep: Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029Reputation: 7029
The CUPS daemon isn't running. Either log in as root, or "su - root", and type in "/etc/init.d/cups start", and see what happens.
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
pirhana
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you for your reply.

I tried that, and CUPS started OK, but I still get the same error message
Quote:
Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.
 
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
roy_lt_69
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Mint, Debian
Posts: 237

Rep: Reputation: 29
Have you tried to add a printer by running up your browser and going to:
http://localhost:631
 
Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
pirhana
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you roy_lt_69

I had no idea that existed and I was able to add my printer using this, although I have a Canon Smartbase MP360 and I struggled for drivers. Searching on Google gave me a few forums which said use this or that driver instead, but none worked for me.

I finally downloaded a copy of turboprint http://www.turboprint.de/english.html as it contains many drivers. The driver for my MP360 was there, so after installing it, I can now print (or at least CentOS thinks I can - it reports a successful print job) but nothing happens at the printer - no paper or any movement at all!

Any ideas?
 
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 AM   #6
roy_lt_69
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Distribution: Slackware, Mint, Debian
Posts: 237

Rep: Reputation: 29
I am not familiar with CentOS, but
does lsmod show parport, parport_pc, & lp loaded?
I know that some distros are installed with the parallel port drivers not loaded.
You may have to do a grep in rc.d(??) for the parallel port module.
Also does dmesg show anything for the parallel port?
As for drivers for the printer did you check:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer...gi?make=Anyone

One more thing, have you set the parallel port in the BIOS correctly?
 
Old 11-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 17,808

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirhana View Post
Thank you roy_lt_69

I had no idea that existed and I was able to add my printer using this, although I have a Canon Smartbase MP360 and I struggled for drivers. Searching on Google gave me a few forums which said use this or that driver instead, but none worked for me.

I finally downloaded a copy of turboprint http://www.turboprint.de/english.html as it contains many drivers. The driver for my MP360 was there, so after installing it, I can now print (or at least CentOS thinks I can - it reports a successful print job) but nothing happens at the printer - no paper or any movement at all!

Any ideas?
Was the printer automatically detected by Turboprint? In the regular Linux print setup it is quite possible to set up a print queue which does not connect to a real printer.
 
Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
NSAdsC
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Distribution: Mandriva 2008
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
The CUPS daemon isn't running. Either log in as root, or "su - root", and type in "/etc/init.d/cups start", and see what happens.
Hi, I'm new here and I have the same problem. I'm trying to install a HP Deskjet 845c printer in Mandriva 2008, and after logging in as root ant typing "/etc/init.d/cups start", all I get is that "the file or directory does not exist". Any suggestions?
 
Old 12-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
rdx
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2
Posts: 283

Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAdsC View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I have the same problem. I'm trying to install a HP Deskjet 845c printer in Mandriva 2008, and after logging in as root ant typing "/etc/init.d/cups start", all I get is that "the file or directory does not exist". Any suggestions?
I too am having a similar problem. I have an HP Deskjet 3420. I know cupsd is running, I got the localhost:631 page but the questions are vague and I don't know what it wants. For instance, it asked for name but name of what? The printer, the class, my name, my neighbor's dog's name, ... I have the docs open on another machine so I can look at the docs and the web page simmultaneously but it is not at all clear.

Also, I installed foomatic and HPLIP, but trying to run hp-setup gets me an error (in bright red) saying:
error: CUPSEXP could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation.

That's no help. So, other details, I'm running with Slackware 11.0, unplugging and replugging the printer is seen and causes unloading and reloading of module printer.o, according to "tail /var/log/messages", and there is no /etc/cups.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install printer / Get printer ip address on NAT allelopath General 16 02-22-2007 08:03 PM
Install printer / Get/set printer ip address on NAT allelopath Linux - Hardware 2 02-21-2007 07:58 PM
Printer Driver (and printer) install errors. O4_SRT Linux - Hardware 5 03-07-2006 07:16 PM
keeping printer on at bootup keeps printer from printing (some printer modules loaded TheOneAndOnlySM Slackware 1 10-17-2003 07:39 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration